NFR Hummer Hearth - (hummingbird feeder heater)

Non-fishing related

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
This did not work for us at 25oF or less...we use a cheapo aluminum shop light with a 60W bulb attached with twine, we've had hummingbirds below zero...pretty amazing they stay around.

Here's our set up:
View attachment 46356
I love this!! Easy peasy, and Cheap! $11 for the fixture. If a Standard-Medium bulb is too hot for your location (and/or a plastic feeder's base) $3 for a Standard to Candelabra bulb adapter. Get a red bulb and you're set.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When the nights are freezing I bring the feeder in, then put it back out in the morning.
Here in beautiful Southern Oregon I've only seen it stay below freezing all day just a few times.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
The 15w bulb worked for me down to 4 degrees but i was only concerned about the bottom of the feeder being thawed. This particular bird is very aggressive and we have another feeder on the other side of the house to feed any straglers that might get chased off from this one... There are a ton of You Tube videos on DIY hummingbird feeder warmers....

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 6.19.34 PM.jpg

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Just thought this might be of interest to some of you after seeing @Brian Miller post a photo of his hummingbird feeder with lights keeping it warm on the weather thread.
For the past couple of years we've used a clever WA made product called a Hummer Hearth that clips onto the bottom of the feeder and uses a little incandescent bulb to keep the liquid from freezing. Ours came with a little 7w bulb, but now I see that the company includes a 7w and a 15w for colder temps. They even claim that a 24w can be used in extreme temps.
Wrapping up the feeders in Christmas lights was a kind of hassle to unwrap and refill them. Last year taping handwarmer packs to the bottom worked but was using up my supply.
This did not work for us at 25oF or less...we use a cheapo aluminum shop light with a 60W bulb attached with twine, we've had hummingbirds below zero...pretty amazing they stay around.

Here's our set up:
View attachment 46356
@longputt 's post was a great idea. Since Hummer Hearth is in Kent WA and recommends a 7W bulb I decided that would be a good start. I finally got out to a hardware store that had the bulbs in stock.
Here's my take on the @longputt lamp holder warmer using some small bungies I had laying around to hook from the reflector to the feeder's hanger, adjusted for length and crimped into the reflector holes. I did two feeders. Total cost was $13 per feeder not including a spare bulb for each. If 7 watts doesn't work to the low 20s it rarely gets here, I'll pick up 25 watt bulbs.
1672869474133.png
1672869835195.png
1672869780558.png
1672870004897.png
(sorry for blurriness and artifacts)

longputt

Steelhead
Wrapping up the feeders in Christmas lights was a kind of hassle to unwrap and refill them. Last year taping handwarmer packs to the bottom worked but was using up my supply.

@longputt 's post was a great idea. Since Hummer Hearth is in Kent WA and recommends a 7W bulb I decided that would be a good start. I finally got out to a hardware store that had the bulbs in stock.
Here's my take on the @longputt lamp holder warmer using some small bungies I had laying around to hook from the reflector to the feeder's hanger, adjusted for length and crimped into the reflector holes. I did two feeders. Total cost was $13 per feeder not including a spare bulb for each. If 7 watts doesn't work to the low 20s it rarely gets here, I'll pick up 25 watt bulbs.
View attachment 48502
View attachment 48508
View attachment 48507
View attachment 48510
(sorry for blurriness and artifacts)
That's consistent with our experience...but to get to 0oF we used 60W. Very cool measurements. At 60W we had to change the juice every few days because it evaporated the water and made syrup.