Hats as a random conversation starter?

kmudgn

Steelhead
I hate to admit it, but I have almost 200 hats in my collection. This is a pic of just a small portion of them on a hat tree. Where ever I go I get a ball cap. Many fishing, but also many just from interesting locales

Attachments

• hats.jpg
    hats.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 18

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I was working retail at an art framing shop in college in 1993-ish in Spokane when a customer came in with a SAGE hat on. That started a flyfishing question and answer session. I had some fish photos in the backroom. From that meeting we went flyfishing for Golden trout in Alberta, and the rivers up there on the divide, to Pyramid lake in Nevada. Montana. Desert lakes, Grand Ronde.. coastal stuff here. You name it. We fished it. We fished so much he had to drop out of Gonzaga law school 😬

So, yes, a hat led to a great fishing partner and many outstanding fishing trips.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Kind of a cool topic - I am kind of into ball caps. Just started to add to my collection. Just recently, I too just started to buy hats in most fly shops I visit just for fun. My contribution towards supporting the Mom & Pops along with the standard flies for the area I am fishing. My family members also noticed my new found collection so they have been making their contributions through Birthday, Father's Day and Christmas gifts as well. I have just a modest 21 hats, but it will grow, starting with the new PNW Fly Fishing hat I just ordered :).

The pics are more older collection with the recently added Fly Shops. Just from the hats I have you can easily identify my local.
I haven't had anyone talk to me much about my Fly Fishing related hats but plenty of comments (good and bad) from the old OSU hat. Go Beavs!

Funny thing is that I don't like to wear ball caps when I am out on the water as I wear a full brim hat for sun protection. The ball cap sits on the dash of my truck when I am out and goes back on my dome after the trip. But I do have a couple of well broken in "lucky hats" that are fully utilized while on said trip.

Not sure what will happen with the hats after my demise - hopefully donated to next generation of Fly Fisherman/hat collectors in the family or to the local waterholes you see across the West that have hats pinned up on the ceiling or walls, see Helvetia Tavern.

Peach

Hats.jpg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I heard that a certain fly fishing website had some new hat options arriving in January. Could just be a rumor though.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
I heard that a certain fly fishing website had some new hat options arriving in January. Could just be a rumor though.
Order placed :).

BTW when did the "Old Man Hat" become the old man style? I always considered the Trucker Style to be the old fashion hat - now the trucker style is the cool new fad and the old man style is well - for old men apparently. I can't keep up with the kidz and the new apparel trend these days...

Peach

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Order placed :).

BTW when did the "Old Man Hat" become the old man style? I always considered the Trucker Style to be the old fashion hat - now the trucker style is the cool new fad and the old man style is well - for old men apparently. I can't keep up with the kidz and the new apparel trend these days...

Peach
Very appreciated! And the "new" ones arriving are quite different, so you won't feel like you pulled the trigger too soon. You'll just want to order another.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have been wearing stinky, old time Boston Red Sox hat for a few years now when fishing. It smells, it’s wool and hot in the summer…but it’s my lucky fishing hat.

It’s not really a convo starter. Unless I happen to be fishing next to one of those useless, waste of space Yankee fans ;).

175F63F6-AE48-4F91-9B3A-F66109D654C5.jpeg

Edit: I did break out the PNWFF hat on vacation this fall. Did a little warm water, beach fishing in it. It’s on its way to potentially becoming a proper, stinky, well worn fishing hat….

63C82F19-2D2B-468E-A3FC-7387BE2E71D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I lost my "Driftless Angler" baseball cap in Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, during my visit there in April. I hope THAT hat started a conversation!
DA Hat.jpg