Got any bird pics?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I was up on the roof of my detached garage to clean the gutters and noticed a presumed hawk kill of a varied thrush, I think.
The owl decoy is because f*cking flickers were pecking my roof. I like birds, including flickers but not pecking my structures. Flickers aren’t that smart I don’t think, maybe the decoy works on them, it definitely doesn’t work on most every other critter.
031FA61D-8EF4-48F4-9AC2-9F70E1B26372.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I was up on the roof of my detached garage to clean the gutters and noticed a presumed hawk kill of a varied thrush, I think.
The owl decoy is because f*cking flickers were pecking my roof. I like birds, including flickers but not pecking my structures. Flickers aren’t that smart I don’t think, maybe the decoy works on them, it definitely doesn’t work on most every other critter.
View attachment 47671
I think the designer amd marketing folks for that “owl” must get a good laugh at all the folks who buy them in hopes the scary owl will keep pesky birds (in my case - out of the ripening grapes) away. If your owl works for flickers: well done and perhaps you’re lucky! 👍😁

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Late last week, my wife and I did a birding trip to the Sequim / Port Angeles area. We saw 28 species, including a peregrine falcon, several Northern harriers, common loons, etc. I even had a brief view of the tail fluke of a transient killer whale before it dove offshore. Inside Ediz Hook, we had a great view of several groups of harlequin ducks. The the coloration of the drakes is so over the top. When the Elwha River was still open for fishing, I encountered much drabber hens and their offspring diving for stream insects in the Ranch Section in early September in the fast water. These birds were diving inside the hook for lunch. The light wasn't perfect but I did catch several nice pictures.
HarlequinDrake7511.jpgHarlequinDrakes7484.jpgHarlequinDrakes&Hen7516.jpg
Steve

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Steve, I've seen drabby Harlequin's in the late summer in the very upper headwaters of the Elwha as well. I assume the males were included in eclipse plumage as it almost looked like uniform size and colors for youngsters and parents as one. Great shots!

Otter

Steelhead
View attachment 47671
Matt B, I saw my first hawk decoy on an oceanfront building last month, so I had to research that. I read that they are far more effective than owl decoys. The theory is that very few birds ever see owls, because most owl species are not out and about during the day, so other birds don’t see owls as threats. It’s the opposite with hawks.

I was especially interested in reading about hawk decoys, because the homeowner previously had an owl decoy, so I wondered why it was changed to a hawk.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks boot. I could have guessed New Zealand but wanted to make sure. I have visited the N. Island once.

Cabezon - Harlequins are one of my favorites. That area for waterfowl / shorebirds is great. Thanks for the pics.

Scott

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice pics of the rough-legged and waterfowl.

I am guessing that they are all for the Skagit area.

Keep em coming....

Otter

Steelhead
That is one beautiful bird! Is it a red tail? Hawks can have so many colour variations, it's confusing to me. There's great picture galleries on Cornell University's bird site that help me, but I'm stumped on this one.