Got any bird pics?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
With fall quarter done and dusted (one down, two to go...), my wife and I decided to take advantage of a clear day to head to Billie Frank Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. The wan light of wintry sun was enough to push temperatures above freezing; but in the shadows, frost ruled still. As we headed down gravel dike of the Nisqually Estuary Trail (which separates the salt marsh/mud flats to the west from the freshwater marsh to the east), the bird action heated up. With the cold weather, most of the ducks and geese were avidly feeding to provide fuel to stay warm. On the salt marsh / mudflat side, wigeons and green winged teal were feeding on pickleweed (Salicornia) at the edge of the falling tide.
A01AmericanWigeons6605.jpg
A02AmericanWigeonDrake6628.jpg
Pintails and mallards were using their typical tipping-up behavior to probe in deeper water.
A03PintailPair6588.jpg
"Yes, I have bright orange feet. They are a fashion statement".
A04MallardDrake6711.jpg
Later, in a freshwater canal of the Twin Barns loop, we encountered two green-winged teals greedily sifting duck weed from the water’s surface.
A05GreenWingedTeal6754.jpg
Mixed in with the ducks, greater yellowlegs probed the mud for worms and other invertebrates.
A06GreaterYellowlegs6669.jpg
Back in the main pond by the Visitor Center, a female hooded merganser dove for a snack among a small group of mallards.
A07HoodedMerganserHen6786.jpg
Several male ring-necked ducks probed the pond floor for food as well. This individual sported a very 1950ish slicked-back look.
A08RingNeckedDuckDrake6824.jpg
Other great pictures included a common crow posing in an oso berry bush
A09CommonCrow6698.jpg
and a great blue heron in prime plumage hunting rodents.
A10GreatBlueHeron6573.jpg
Overall, a great day as Nisqually, 29 bird species.
Steve

Last edited:

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Now along with the rare eastern bluebird there are a dozen western bluebirds in Leslie Groves Park. Also unusual for the middle of winter. Some shots from the park:
Northern Flicker
View attachment 44480
Western Bluebirds
View attachment 44481
View attachment 44482
View attachment 44483
Grumpy old man of a Great Blue Heron trying to stay warm and dry
View attachment 44484
Female mallard

View attachment 44485
Enjoy seeing your shots. I’ve been there too seeing the bluebirds.
also hanging out, have seen varied thrush and hermit thrush as firsts for me, and a sharp shined hawk, down in the trees.

Jay.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
For a six second exposure four hours past sunset and 75ish yards away, I can't really complain. (100% crop)

View attachment 45284

For a 6 second exposure, that's pretty amazing, he kept very still for you, didn't;t swivel his head art all.

Cheers

Bajema

Life of the Party
Went out birding up in BC yesterday. First stop was along Boundary Bay where a Mountain Bluebird had been seen for several days. It was foggy and still a bit early, so the photo isn’t great, but I saw the bird (lifer number one for the day)051C570A-F905-4DD9-AFAA-5BC58C13C3AC.jpeg

Next stop was the Reifel Bird Sanctuary. There two new birds I was hoping to see there, Sandhill Cranes and Black-Crowned Night Heron. I asked the woman at entrance if she had any tips on finding them and she turned to her right and said, “the cranes are right there” and then turned to her left and said “I can see the night heron right over there”. So those two turned out to be pretty easy to get. BFC0E118-5FBC-4050-985A-0368A727B749.jpegEF54B29A-6754-44B1-9110-FC8BB558E77B.jpeg

I spend a few hours walking around. There were harriers and short-eared owls out towards the water. I also happened across a Townsend’s Solitaire, which was a new one for me! (Number four!)CEC382D0-1460-4170-A49F-2B253EB9E7C4.jpeg

There are a number of ponds that were filled with ducks, and some are not shy about coming right up to you as they allow you to feed them in some areas. Lots of mallards and wigeons, as well as Northern Shovelers, and Northern Pintails.099815D9-A75D-429F-B5CE-ACFFED76EC06.jpeg3894E45C-925B-4155-B69B-EFDE46526E9A.jpeg

Other notable ducks included these Hooded Mergansers.

Ended up with 41 species for the day, which was pretty great!09E628D7-C97B-4926-8E4D-0D4B417B6FAD.jpeg

There were also chickadees everywhere, and in some areas, when you stopped on the trail, suddenly there would be a dozen of them in the trees around you, presumably hoping to get fed. I put out my hand and they weren’t shy about landing on it, though once they realized there was so food, they would fly off.D0A4EC6A-0588-4583-B760-8D76B5EF24CD.jpeg

Last edited:

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
The birds are doing their best just to survive the cold snap and dump of snow we got in the last 20 hours.

The robins are at a loss but these guys seem to be luvin’ the extra seed I tossed out.

FC451CB4-33DB-472D-A59E-190A5F6C0B1B.jpeg32E42E75-DCE9-492A-81C9-1B88608760A9.jpeg
This fella has been sitting in the tree just outside the window for about the last hour. No need to waste energy, I guess
3F3816CE-533B-4644-AF98-018734D1D8B8.jpeg
and it’s supposed to be pushing 50 degrees by Christmas…crazy

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I too have been putting out extra seed. Also, remember the hummers too. I bring my feeder min at night, back out in the morning.

Had a Cooper's hawk take a rock dove at my office yesterday. It stayed on the ground and plucked, ate that bird for about 3 hours. Eventually flew off with the remains of the carcass.

tkww

Steelhead
The birds are doing their best just to survive the cold snap and dump of snow we got in the last 20 hours.

The robins are at a loss but these guys seem to be luvin’ the extra seed I tossed out.

View attachment 45820View attachment 45821
This fella has been sitting in the tree just outside the window for about the last hour. No need to waste energy, I guess
View attachment 45824
and it’s supposed to be pushing 50 degrees by Christmas…crazy
Just FYI, I think those are Varied Thrushes, not Robins.

M_D

Forum Supporter
Yep, the thrushes were enjoying the food but we had a flock of about 50 robins cruising the neighborhood searching for someplace warm…..kinda sad to see.

The robin flock has gotten smaller but there are still a few darting around.

It seems our hummingbirds were down to one yesterday. Hopefully they’ve found somewhere warm to ride this out.

Last edited:

M_D

Forum Supporter
It’s not a baby duck ???? ;)

Just kidding, It looks to be a thrush on top of your feeder…..there’s a shit ton of them in my backyard currently

and a shit ton of thrushes is kinda like a murder of crows

Shad

Life of the Party
You folks with good cameras make me ashamed of the pathetic pics I have, so I won't post any, but since I started feeding off my balcony, I've seen a great variety of birds, and it is A BLAST! Birds are near instant entertainment. Bird feed is not free, but it's certainly affordable for most. I hesitated to feed on my balcony, because I live in an apartment, and I have neighbors below, but nobody has complained so far, so....

A list of species I've spotted on or very near my balcony since starting to feed includes:

Dark-eyed juncos (duh)
Black-capped Chickadees
Chestnut-backed Chickadees
Red-breasted Nuthatches
House Sparrows (oddly much less common than the juncos)
Downy Woodpeckers
Pileated Woodpecker (just one)
Northern Flickers
Spotted Towhees
An occasional Varied Thrush (what a stunning bird!)...

And because I live very close to small Puget Sound inlet, I see a lot of cool shorebirds and waterfowl when it rains a bunch (the park behind my place floods with any "good" rain; it's a natural drainage).

I feed hummingbirds, too, and I think I have the world's fattest, meanest Anna's Hummingbird in the world essentially living on my balcony. She spends most of her day guarding the feeder or eating, and she's pretty good at both. Occasionally, though, one of the other two I have identified (both smaller males) sneaks in for a drink. They usually get chased off pretty quick, though; she's ruthless!

Of course, I deal with squirrels, but they aren't a major issue, so I count that as a bonus so far.

Again, my pics suck in the context of this thread, so I'll spare you all the bandwidth....

M_D

Forum Supporter
No pics but I have at least one hummingbird that survived the night and is enjoying some warm sugar water 👍 Woo hoo!

Not seeing as many thrushes this morning. Hopefully it's simply that someone else is offering better grub.