Looking for ideas for hanging my boats

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Now that I have my new shed, I want to hang my frameless one man boats from the ceiling instead of folded up and stuffed in a corner.

Seeing if anyone has any clever systems they've employed before I just put up some hooks and do something boring and basic.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
kayak hoists...straps can be adjusted to pull the held boat up tightly...one of my surfboards is a 10'6 for summer fun, keeps it out of the way...son uses the ssme method to store his kayaks and paddle boards at his nearby vacation home. I use the cheap ones, about $25 on Amazon
IMG_20221204_081539199_HDR.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
kayak hoists...straps can be adjusted to pull the held boat up tightly...one of my surfboards is a 10'6 for summer fun, keeps it out of the way...son uses the ssme method to store his kayaks and paddle boards at his nearby vacation home. I use the cheap ones, about $25 on Amazon
View attachment 43839
My son uses a similar system from sportsmans to hang his hard kyaks. It works really well for him and makes loading a breeze (if his wife's car isn't in the garage).

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Like others have posted, bicycle hoists.
IMG-3055.JPG
I used chain on this raft frame due to the weight but just used rope loops on the pontoon.
IMG-3057.JPG
Crappy picture, but here's my float tube.
IMG-3053 (1).JPG

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Now that I have my new shed, I want to hang my frameless one man boats from the ceiling instead of folded up and stuffed in a corner.

Seeing if anyone has any clever systems they've employed before I just put up some hooks and do something boring and basic.

I see most of these solutions are from rigid items such as pontoons, kayaks and surfboards. You lack the rigidity with say, your commander, especially if it was only partially inflated. What if you built some basic gurney type system where the commander could still be partially inflated without flopping all around and then you could still use one of these pull systems. Bonus points if you built the gurney in a way that if you just released one end it slid right into the bed of your pickup <- no clue if it’s possible but it’s a fun idea in my head.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Also, my commander is also just deflated, folded I’m up and overflowing out of a storage box in my garage. It’s at least not in the corner, on the ground so mice/rats can’t get to it ;)

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I got a harbor freight winch that operates off of house current to hoist and lower my 'toon. The winch has like a 1 ton capacity, but the suspension pullies don't have anything near that, so it's not overtaxed, really. My ceiling in my shop is pretty high, I got tired of hoisting it by hand.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Boring I know but for my frameless, a pair of repurposed closet pole hangers works great and is a simple solution.

I might put a shelf under the bow to take some weight off of the foot bar. I have the lightest weight frameless boats I can find to save my back, so the shelf idea probably isn’t really necessary.9D2CCEE3-18FF-4F41-871A-3C4132F93CEE.jpeg

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ok I think I have my system figured out. I ordered a set of D-rings designed to bolt to a stud, and am going to use straps to hang them from my 18' high ceiling in my new shed/shop/whatever you want to call it. They'll hang vertical along the wall up and out of the way, and will be able to lower by unhooking the strap from another D-ring I'll clip the rope to. I'll show it all once it's done (but only if it works)

cdnred

Life of the Party
I have used these for pontoon boats with a frame. Not sure how they might work for a frameless boat.
Amazon product ASIN B07L8YH253
I've got a Colorado XT with frame and that's what I used. I put the hook thru the eye ring at each end of the tube and then wench it up. My garage cross members don't allow me to lift it high enough to walk under but I can still easily park my trailer under it without issue. When I want to take the Colorado out, I just place the trailer under it and lower it down on the trailer saving me the struggle of having to manually lift it..