NFR Got any mammal pictures

Non-fishing related

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I forget exactly where this was; taken in 2009. Hiking along and happened upon predator and prey doing their thing right aside the trail. I'm not sure I'd do it today, but I was able to grab the squirrel and play wrassle with the weasel. I let it win, of course. Mustelids are pound for pound about as bad ass as it gets. [edit: My wife remembers; up by Cave Ridge above Snoqualmie Pass]

IMG_1697 copy.jpgIMG_1699 copy.jpgIMG_1701 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Hoary marmots are common around Paradise on Mt. Rainier (and elsewhere in the Cascades). They are polygynous. One dominant males will maintain a territory that contains several breeding females and juveniles. Within the territory are multiple sleeping burrows and a larger, more elaborate burrow for hibernation (a hibernaculum). They will hibernate for 7-8 months of the year.D05HoaryMarmot4999.jpgD06HoaryMarmotChilling5013.jpgZDHoaryMarmot5015.jpgZDHoaryMarmotP8260104.jpg
Steve

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Hoary marmots are common around Paradise on Mt. Rainier (and elsewhere in the Cascades). They are polygynous. One dominant males will maintain a territory that contains several breeding females and juveniles. Within the territory are multiple sleeping burrows and a larger, more elaborate burrow for hibernation (a hibernaculum). They will hibernate for 7-8 months of the year.View attachment 34870View attachment 34871View attachment 34872View attachment 34873
Steve
He does look rather seductive lying there.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I forget exactly where this was; taken in 2009. Hiking along and happened upon predator and prey doing their thing right aside the trail. I'm not sure I'd do it today, but I was able to grab the squirrel and play wrassle with the weasel. I let it win, of course. Mustelids are pound for pound about as bad ass as it gets. [edit: My wife remembers; up by Cave Ridge above Snoqualmie Pass]

View attachment 34862View attachment 34863View attachment 34864
They are fearless hunters. I saw one stalking rabbits bigger than it was one late morning at Nisqually NWR.
Steve

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Was in AZ once, but very briefly. Also hoped to see some Javelina but it didn't happen.

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
Poolside visitors.

Spot the gliding mammal...
AL9nZEU73pxkz6AcG2C5PGtT3MsH8KLw32eTJECD1oyvLU50IZ-TarMfg2CpDINZ1CSicw-bgBezSCDKSvF4Hsie7tCcOXAOxcMI9TNzqCuzf-ohJZZPpL8YUd614yztA-xj0vDDy3OVEIh7PIQKKQemdiv1=w1024-h721-no

There! The Sunda Colugo (Galeopterus variegatus). These guys can glide almost 500 ft.
AL9nZEWtBSdET8pmgbBtZHjZ4kyXnkd_PO2XHN9DBtDBDZbyy_3fXWUAxUmhuOi1vyj3o9DzgXfaezibKuTvro17UZflY_JduESVhbWn45GiO8FCO1qeBIZmz0QhA1VY5guLc_49J_AuQaDTMwooXeY81zDV=w768-h1030-no

Nearby, a Dusky Leaf Monkey (Trachypithecus obscurus) feasts on Marang (Artocarpus odoratissimus), one of my favorite fruits
AL9nZEWQrOW152TTySiKObf6Ykcx96K7T3PeUS_Z3m9KwkwYFJWPBo2hyAXxUdWKScyahOvJykr6vAg6eooOm-3OdIOnTfo8bIl7gUTH5j9Sb8qwJx3mBnp7hWPkcype2l_jQlAPfSJrw7oTQQa3GyK5HHo8=w1024-h768-no

Kenneth

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Ridgefield NWR, 30 September 2022, Carty Unit. A doe Columbian white-tail deer snoozed in the thick grass unperturbed as we walked by.
B05WhitetailDeerDoe5686.jpg
She is a member of the westernmost subspecies of white-tailed deer. After suffering from habitat loss due to human development, this subspecies was declared endangered in 1968 due to a low population size (only 300-400 individuals in 1983) and a small geographic range. But due to intensive conservation efforts that has expanded the number of individuals, the status of the subspecies was upgraded from endangered to threatened. With its green ear tag “Julia Butler Hansen National Wildlife Refuge”, this doe would have been captured at this nearby wildlife refuge (maybe between 2013 and 2016) and then moved to Ridgefield to enhance its population. The Julia Butler Hansen refuge straddles the Oregon – Washington border specifically as habitat for Columbian blacktail deer.
Steve

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Poolside visitors.

Spot the gliding mammal...
AL9nZEU73pxkz6AcG2C5PGtT3MsH8KLw32eTJECD1oyvLU50IZ-TarMfg2CpDINZ1CSicw-bgBezSCDKSvF4Hsie7tCcOXAOxcMI9TNzqCuzf-ohJZZPpL8YUd614yztA-xj0vDDy3OVEIh7PIQKKQemdiv1=w1024-h721-no

There! The Sunda Colugo (Galeopterus variegatus). These guys can glide almost 500 ft.
AL9nZEWtBSdET8pmgbBtZHjZ4kyXnkd_PO2XHN9DBtDBDZbyy_3fXWUAxUmhuOi1vyj3o9DzgXfaezibKuTvro17UZflY_JduESVhbWn45GiO8FCO1qeBIZmz0QhA1VY5guLc_49J_AuQaDTMwooXeY81zDV=w768-h1030-no

Nearby, a Dusky Leaf Monkey (Trachypithecus obscurus) feasts on Marang (Artocarpus odoratissimus), one of my favorite fruits
AL9nZEWQrOW152TTySiKObf6Ykcx96K7T3PeUS_Z3m9KwkwYFJWPBo2hyAXxUdWKScyahOvJykr6vAg6eooOm-3OdIOnTfo8bIl7gUTH5j9Sb8qwJx3mBnp7hWPkcype2l_jQlAPfSJrw7oTQQa3GyK5HHo8=w1024-h768-no

Kenneth
Very interesting creatures the Colugo. With only two currently recognized species in their genus they are off on the thin end of a very small branch of the evolutionary tree.

Thanks for posting the photos

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
A weekend or two ago, my wife and I were exploring Central Washington for migrating birds. While at Potholes State Park, we saw lots of very tawny, large squirrels bounding around the trees and grassy lawns. It turned out that they are fox squirrels, an introduced species native to the Mississippi River drainage and the Southeastern U.S. In Washington, they occur in the Okanogan and a few areas of eastern Washington, in the Seattle area, and on Orcas Island.FoxSquilrrel5880.jpgFoxSquirrel5876.jpgFoxSquirrel5883.jpg They are the biggest tree squirrel in North America.
Steve

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
A weekend or two ago, my wife and I were exploring Central Washington for migrating birds. While at Potholes State Park, we saw lots of very tawny, large squirrels bounding around the trees and grassy lawns. It turned out that they are fox squirrels, an introduced species native to the Mississippi River drainage and the Southeastern U.S. In Washington, they occur in the Okanogan and a few areas of eastern Washington, in the Seattle area, and on Orcas Island.View attachment 40050View attachment 40051View attachment 40052 They are the biggest tree squirrel in North America.
Steve
Great pictures of a rather destructive critter. Most of us don't have copper land-line telephones anymore; I might still have that service but these fox squirrels use the old thick conductor to run up and down the line (in the alley): Sometimes stopping to gnaw through the insulating coating and into the actual conductor. Apparently Ma Bell's copper conductors don't like to be exposed to the elements and can result in false 9-1-1 calls... ;-) Don't ask me how I know.

They also LOVE walnuts, so do my wife and I. It's a battle keeping them out of our walnut tree. Despite my dislike of the critters, I do enjoy watching them frolic in places like Potholes State Park.