Tying on shanks...

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I started tying a few months ago on a Renzetti Traveler (2000, I think). I'm beginning to tie some winter steelhead stuff on shanks (just waddington at this time), and my current vise doesn't seem like it's the best at this. What do you all suggest? Am I being stupid, and my vise is fine? Should I try to use like a HMH shank adapter (if that will even work with my current vise)? Or should I look for an inexpensive vise that would be better suited for shanks? Thanks in advance for your help.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Are you trying to seat the shank like you would a trout hook and are just using the tips of the jaws to grab the shank?
I'm using a renzetti as well and don't have issues, but I get pretty much the whole ass end of the 'shank' in the meat of the jaws and I tend to clamp it down pretty firm.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are you trying to seat the shank like you would a trout hook and are just using the tips of the jaws to grab the shank?
I'm using a renzetti as well and don't have issues, but I get pretty much the whole ass end of the 'shank' in the meat of the jaws and I tend to clamp it down pretty firm.
I’m putting the end of the shank in the tips of the jaws and then rotating it 90 degrees so the shank is facing up when I tie.

Attachments

• 0A77927A-FB9A-43E8-B8C7-2097CFCBE7EA.jpeg
    0A77927A-FB9A-43E8-B8C7-2097CFCBE7EA.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 27

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I’m putting the end of the shank in the tips of the jaws and then rotating it 90 degrees so the shank is facing up when I tie.
Is the shank popping out? Or do you just feel like the shank is moving around a bit?
I'm not seeing anything wonky in your picture.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is the shank popping out? Or do you just feel like the shank is moving around a bit?
I'm not seeing anything wonky in your picture.
The shank's not popping out, but I feel like I really have to put a lot of pressure on to get it to stay in place.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Those Travelers do have small jaws. I kind of think they’re a little under powered for big hooks. I have trouble with mine too. I also have another vise with bigger jaws for my big hook flys.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a renzetti. When I tie with waddington shanks, I clamp the teardrop end in, and turn it 90 degrees like you do. I don't really have an issue with it. I've tied lots of Hoh Bo Speys. With the straight shanks, I just put the end in the thicker part of the jaw, not the tip

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Would you then tie in a loop of dacron or something for your trailer hook?

Yes,
I like using braid myself. Works well and you can changed the hook if it gets dinged.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I used to tie on a Traveler and tied hundreds of stinger clousers on waddington shanks with no issues doing it exactly like you are. If it’s really moving around a lot, to a point it’s a problem, it might just be the jaws.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I never have an issue with my HMH (I use the bigger jaws and non-waddington shanks as they don't work at all for what I use shanks for).

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate it. I’ll just keep on keeping on with my current vise.