Lightweight Dumbbell Eye Options

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
You're on to something here Brian, going to give it a try this winter. I glued 5/32 eyes on to Rainys small boobie round eyes, might not be very durable but it's going to be fun taking the stillwater boobie approach in the salt.

PXL_20221027_170802645.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You're on to something here Brian, going to give it a try this winter. I glued 5/32 eyes on to Rainys small boobie round eyes, might not be very durable but it's going to be fun taking the stillwater boobie approach in the salt.

View attachment 38527

Lou,
Great idea!
Brian

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Not exactly a booby, but I've had salt days where they went nuts chasing a baitfish...ish pattern tied with a mini-me foam head in place of a cone, fished subsurface on an intermediate or type3. It moves really wonky when you strip! Variations on this:
20210805_204600.jpg
Love the idea of using booby eyes, tho - gonna try that.

Brian - do you just not like using plain old glue-on eyes? If the dumbell isn't weighted, how are you getting it to ride point up?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not exactly a booby, but I've had salt days where they went nuts chasing a baitfish...ish pattern tied with a mini-me foam head in place of a cone, fished subsurface on an intermediate or type3. It moves really wonky when you strip! Variations on this:
View attachment 38537
Love the idea of using booby eyes, tho - gonna try that.

Brian - do you just not like using plain old glue-on eyes? If the dumbell isn't weighted, how are you getting it to ride point up?

Leigh,
I think if I use the plastic dumbbell eyes, there will be just enough weight on one side of the hook to turn it point up. If not, really no big deal as most stuff even with brass eyes doesn't stay exactly point up all the time while stripping. I could also just add a small, short strand of 0.010 lead wire between the eyes, but I'm not sure that would really be needed.
I have had success using surface patterns like you mentioned fishing them subsurface on a intermediate line. The up and down, side to side bobbing baitfish action is very enticing and you can strip pretty slowly without hanging up.
SF

Last edited: