Soft Hackles in High Lakes?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm wanting to tie up some soft hackles for high lakes for next summer but I've never really fished soft hackles in still waters.
Basically just looking to mix up my dry/terrestrial and bugger game when I'm out backpacking.

My question is what size are you typically throwing?
Thanks!
Tim

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm wanting to tie up some soft hackles for high lakes for next summer but I've never really fished soft hackles in still waters.
Basically just looking to mix up my dry/terrestrial and bugger game when I'm out backpacking.

My question is what size are you typically throwing?
Thanks!
Tim
Usually 12s and 14s. Sometimes 16s.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I like going soft hackles PTs and such on a jig hook for alpine lakes. I'll usually make some wierd ones too. Actually my best fly this summer had "hackle" of pink calf hair spun in a dubbing loop. It cleaned up

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like going soft hackles PTs and such on a jig hook for alpine lakes. I'll usually make some wierd ones too. Actually my best fly this summer had "hackle" of pink calf hair spun in a dubbing loop. It cleaned up
hell yeah!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I have a variety of sizes for my stillwater softhackles. For my one particular go-to fly (Carey Special), I have it in sizes 8-16. I would say that I normally fish the size 8, but lately I have been using the size 10.
I forgot about the Carey and Six Pack as soft hackles. I also fish these patterns in larger sizes like an 8 or 10 but it seems like if I'm trying something on the bigger side in a high lake it's going to be a leech or bugger and less of a dragon/damsel type thing like a Carey. Maybe I just think of those as more lowland lake flies and forage but that's not necessarily always true come to think of it. 🤷‍♂️

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Lots of good advise.
You can doctor up your soft hackles a bit as well by putting a single piece of pearl Krystal flash out the back.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Might as well keep this going.

What's your favorite retrieve in this setting (remember, Im asking for still water--in theory, alpine. Not moving).

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Might as well keep this going.

What's your favorite retrieve in this setting (remember, Im asking for still water--in theory, alpine. Not moving).
My usual was to start shallow with a slow hand twist, and work deeper at the same speed. If than didn't work then start shallow again and speeding up and or lengthening pulls, repeat until you get a signal it's working. Vary pause as well, often it seems they just want proof of life, then hit on the pause.