Bellingham

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m heading to Bellingham tomorrow to visit some friends. Wondering if anyone has suggestions as to places to hit the salt up there.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ll do that.

If not on the way in to town, definitely on the way out on Friday. Just hope I won’t be hungover. Friends, you know.

Last edited:

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
To be honest, I was pondering Kayak Pt., but it’s kinda looking like my timing will be off, tide wise. But that’s on the way up. On the way back, on Friday, I might be able to make the before and after high tide, though.

Also, any intel on Birch Bay? I will be staying with a friend on Thursday night.

Last edited:

Bajema

Life of the Party
Birch bay is pretty much all mudflats, except for the southern portion along the state park. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone fishing there. There is a creek that feeds into the bay that gets some returning fish, though not in big numbers.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sorry I was kinda being a jerk but serious tho. Not great up there. When I’m up that way I grab a beer, some food and just walk the beach. But those are very good breweries to try.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If you do decide to fish, I think the further south of Bellingham you fish the better your chances of catching fish will be.
Kind of getting late for north end cutts but there still should be some around in the salt rather then up the rivers, especially with the lack of rain.
SF

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Yeah...like others said, salt water beach fishing can be kinda tough in the Bellingham area.

First off, salmon fishing closed October 1st. Trout is open year round but they are tough to find.

The easy access to Little Squalicum Park ( off Roeder Avenue) is closed. The area is being cleaned up and enhanced.....should be really nice in a year. ;) So if you want to walk the beach, park up above, at Marine Dr and W Illinois and walk down....it's a quarter mile or so. Then, depending upon the tide, you can walk north quite a ways. Have no idea what the fishing will be like. I don't believe there's any structure in this area since it's mostly mud flats the closer you get to the mouth of the Nooksack. Also, depending on where you're at and the tide, you will have the cliff face close behind.

Depending on the tide, you could walk the shore line a bit, going south from Marine Park (Fairhaven area). I've tried it a couple times....no fish but ya never know. Take a look at google maps....you'd be walking along the railroad tracks and under the back yards of the wealthier folks on the southside.

There area some other beach accesses, county parks as you get out of town...but again salmon's closed and the troutski’s are an elusive bunch.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend river fishing either. The Nooksack is the lowest I've seen it in my 30 years here AND it's still thick with silt. I gave it a go yesterday and although fish are around, visibility was maybe 6 inches.

Pretty inviting, huh ? ;)

Good luck

Last edited: