NFR: Age Test - Folger's Crystals

My parents grew up on coffee farms in the 30’s and 40’s. I just videoed an interview with my Dad about life on a coffee farm.
When they moved to the Midwest they always drank Maxwell House “Good to the last drop”.

Cliff

Steelhead
The crystals were instant I believe. Nasty. Taste bad and left a funky ring in the cup. I'd drink burned percolator coffee from a midnight AA meeting before I'd drink that stuff.
Great analogy, as I've been there, hell, I even made the coffee in those giant "urns".

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My parents grew up on coffee farms in the 30’s and 40’s. I just videoed an interview with my Dad about life on a coffee farm.
When they moved to the Midwest they always drank Maxwell House “Good to the last drop”.
Cool—coffee farms where if you don’t mind sharing?

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Having lived overseas for well over a decade in the 1980s, instant coffee was the norm in most Asian and European countries—nasty stuff in retrospect. I always thought the best coffee was traditional Turkish coffee—strong stuff. However on a trip to Hawaii, we stayed at a B&B on the Kona coast that doubled as a coffee farm and tropical fruit farm. We were served coffee from freshly roasted beans each morning. We awoke to the aroma of roasting beans each morning and the coffee itself was unforgettably perfect. Haven’t had a cup of instant or the traditional Folger’s style coffee in decades.
6C59A10C-5265-472E-9830-E9DC924E5E68.jpeg

Mukman

Life of the Party
I can’t remember who posted this in the Humor thread, but props to you, and reprinting it here because it’s pertinent to this thread.

Attachments

• 6FF815ED-1F8C-4EBB-8540-96094E317225.jpeg
    6FF815ED-1F8C-4EBB-8540-96094E317225.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 19

Cliff

Steelhead
Having lived overseas for well over a decade in the 1980s, instant coffee was the norm in most Asian and European countries—nasty stuff in retrospect. I always thought the best coffee was traditional Turkish coffee—strong stuff. However on a trip to Hawaii, we stayed at a B&B on the Kona coast that doubled as a coffee farm and tropical fruit farm. We were served coffee from freshly roasted beans each morning. We awoke to the aroma of roasting beans each morning and the coffee itself was unforgettably perfect. Haven’t had a cup of instant or the traditional Folger’s style coffee in decades.
View attachment 32754
Same deal here but it was in Ethiopia for me. Waking up to coffee being roasted is unbelievable.

RCF

Legend
Nescafe Classico isn't that bad.

Nescafe Classico isn't that bad.

When you say ' isn't that bad ' definitely means it is no good at all.

Equivalent to the toast is not burned that much or it does not smell that bad...

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but from my perspective, the sound of a percolator bubbling along beats hob out of listening to a Mr. Coffee machine fart . . .