For those who carry on the river

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't know the details of the NRA instructor, but the other guy said it was that his shirt was not fully tucked and put enough drag on the trigger going into the holster to fire it.
The only striker fired gun I have is a Springfield XD, I religiously push it into the holster with my thumb at the back of the slide so the grip safety is not engaged. I like the extra layer of safety.

Call me inexperienced or untrained but I don't have a round chambered unless I'm actively defending myself or stalking a trophy bull tweaker. I don't carry often so maybe it's a familiarity comfort thing but I figure I can get a round in the pipe pretty quick and the sound likely is an attitude changer which works all the same for me. I don't have a gun fetish but see their utility and necessity. Being in brush and bullshit with a round in the pipe just don't feel right. For that reason a revolver is my brush gun of choice and I can treat it like garbage and it still works. With a 9mm or similar I go by the Israeli philosophy and am familiar enough with my weapon to pretty instantly get it hot. I'm not judging anyone for a different protocol and would like to hear from anyone who has more knowledge than myself if I'm doing things incorrectly.

Reactions: JS

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Call me inexperienced or untrained but I don't have a round chambered unless I'm actively defending myself or stalking a trophy bull tweaker. I don't carry often so maybe it's a familiarity comfort thing but I figure I can get a round in the pipe pretty quick and the sound likely is an attitude changer which works all the same for me. I don't have a gun fetish but see their utility and necessity. Being in brush and bullshit with a round in the pipe just don't feel right. For that reason a revolver is my brush gun of choice and I can treat it like garbage and it still works. With a 9mm or similar I go by the Israeli philosophy and am familiar enough with my weapon to pretty instantly get it hot. I'm not judging anyone for a different protocol and would like to hear from anyone who has more knowledge than myself if I'm doing things incorrectly.
I think the folks that obsess about the time lost in a gunfight are living in a world that doesn't really exist. If you have a job that puts you in unfamiliar territory out on the peninsula I believe that your safety protocol is probably right on the money. Striker fired pistols are very safe with a round in the chamber if in a proper holster that fully covers the trigger. Extreme care is needed putting them in that holster, because that is when accidents can happen.
I have other pistols that are Double action/single action with a safety that I feel very safe carrying with a round chambered. I can draw them and fire them as fast as with a striker fired, you can do that job as the gun is brought up, it's just a matter of practice.
Revolvers are probably the safest thing to carry, as there is no need to carry it chambered.

Reactions: JS

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think the folks that obsess about the time lost in a gunfight are living in a world that doesn't really exist. If you have a job that puts you in unfamiliar territory out on the peninsula I believe that your safety protocol is probably right on the money. Striker fired pistols are very safe with a round in the chamber if in a proper holster that fully covers the trigger. Extreme care is needed putting them in that holster, because that is when accidents can happen.
I have other pistols that are Double action/single action with a safety that I feel very safe carrying with a round chambered. I can draw them and fire them as fast as with a striker fired, you can do that job as the gun is brought up, it's just a matter of practice.
Revolvers are probably the safest thing to carry, as there is no need to carry it chambered.

I like revolvers as they are idiot proof. And since I'm not a gun fighter by trade I could use some idiot proofing should I end up in a gun fight. The odds of me ending up in one are likely akin to getting struck by lightening. I'm a realist. A slow drawing standard idiot that would be shocked to hell to find himself in a gun fight. My most serviceable weapon is a calm mind and a quick wit with the word to disarm a paranoid gun pointer.

"A man has to know his limitations."

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I will comment on the definition of a tweeker. These people are literally Zombies. Their poor souls have been overtaken by a powerful drug, that often turns good people into actual monsters. Most of us can not imagine the horrible things that tweekers often do after they have injecting meth for 5 days straight. The hallucinations, the paranoia, the escalating fear of "running out" and "crashing" etc... Folks...all drunks and drug users can be dangerous...but a tweeker is an extremely dangerous person.

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I will comment on the definition of a tweeker. These people are literally Zombies. Their poor souls have been overtaken by a powerful drug, that often turns good people into actual monsters. Most of us can not imagine the horrible things that tweekers often do after they have injecting meth for 5 days straight. The hallucinations, the paranoia, the escalating fear of "running out" and "crashing" etc... Folks...all drunks and drug users can be dangerous...but a tweeker is an extremely dangerous person.
Yes, but. My neighbor used to be addicted to meth. He did three years in prison... for what I'm not exactly sure. He inherited his mom's house a couple of houses down the road, and I know him pretty well now. He stays away from the drugs now, finished an apprenticeship and is a journeyman millwright. He's a good neighbor.
What you say is true, when the people are using. Be careful and keep yourself safe. I think you still have to take a step back when having a conversation about lethal force and realize that taking a life is serious business. There is always hope for people as long as they are alive.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I will comment on the definition of a tweeker. These people are literally Zombies.
After having one defend his meth lab trailer with a shotgun intended for me, I agree with your definition. His eyes were dead. Lifeless. I will never forget the absolute lack of life in his eyes as he said "you need to leave" and waived his shotgun at me.

It was fucking scary.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I don’t like guns and I shot myself in the hand with a pellet rifle when I was a teenager. It was no big deal but I still have some numbness. I was so in love with that gun I let my guard down while oiling her and I forget it was pumped and loaded. I was a Boy Scout with gun training and was so embarrassed I never told anybody. The moment the thing went through me, there was a mist of blood vapor and the pure shock made it beautiful and seared it into my memory. I can see that vision now. It haunts me. My hand hurt for about a month and I remember my mom being a detective about why I wouldn’t swim at the park and it was because my hand hurt like hell when it was wet.

I worked at H&H Outdoor Sports in Bellingham in 2000. They sold guns there and I remember how easy it was to sell one. They sold themselves. It wasn’t like a $500 SAGE rod that people messed with every time they were in the store but never bought. It was like $500 was a good deal for gun. “You never know when you are going to need it.” Unlike a fly rod, guns are tool. It’s not a toy so charge that shit to the card.

Anyway, one morning when we opened the shop, a very high strung working man, shirt tucked in, hair slicked, glasses, walks through the door with an energy that made the old shop dog nervous and that dog could basically sleep through a hurricane. This guy looked like the stereotype of a traveling salesman in a Broadway production from the 50s. Like he had seen it all, and seen enough. Or he came home and found his wife with another man. I’ll never know what exactly, but you can tell when someone is close to the edge.

The man asked to buy one gun and one bullet. My boss told me to watch the shop and he took the man into his back office and they talked for about 3 hours before the man left in a much better mood without buying anything. During the time he was back there it was all I could think about. To a young dumb fuck like me at the time I just didn’t understand how a man could ask for, “One gun and one bullet.” I do know a little bit more about that 22 years later, and I know what it is like to sell guns responsibly, and it isn’t anything I want a part of.

Last edited:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don’t like guns and I shot myself in the hand with a pellet rifle when I was a teenager. It was no big deal but I still have some numbness. I was so in love with that gun I let my guard down while oiling her and I forget it was pumped and loaded. I was a Boy Scout with gun training and was so embarrassed I never told anybody. The moment the thing went through me, there was a mist of blood vapor and the pure shock made it beautiful and seared it into my memory. I can see that vision now. It haunts me. My hand hurt for about a month and I remember my mom being a detective about why I wouldn’t swim at the park and it was because my hand hurt like hell when it was wet.

I worked at H&H Outdoor Sports in Bellingham in 2000. They sold guns there and I remember how easy it was to sell one. They sold themselves. It wasn’t like a $500 SAGE rod that people messed with every time they were in the store but never bought. It was like $500 was a good deal for gun. “You never know when you are going to need it.” Unlike a fly rod, guns are tool. It’s not a toy so charge that shit to the card.

Anyway, one morning when we opened the shop, a very high strung working man, shirt tucked in, hair slicked, glasses, walks through the door with an energy that made the old shop dog nervous and that dog could basically sleep through a hurricane. This guy looked like the stereotype of a traveling salesman in a Broadway production from the 50s. Like he had seen it all, and seen enough. Or he came home and found his wife with another man. I’ll never know what exactly, but you can tell when someone is close to the edge.

The man asked to buy one gun and one bullet. My boss told me to watch the shop and he took the man into his back office and they talked for about 3 hours before the man left in a much better mood without buying anything. During the time he was back there it was all I could think about. To a young dumb fuck like me at the time I just didn’t understand how a man could ask for, “One gun and one bullet.” I do know a little bit more about that 22 years later, and I know what it is like to sell guns responsibly, and it isn’t anything I want a part of.
Wow

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
montana sure is different. I spent some time over there this summer and was just absolutely amazed I never found a single piece of garbage literally anywhere near the river and there were hundreds of college kids floating the river and not a single beer can to be found anywhere. The closest thing I found to garbage was a sticker on the back of a sign that marked the boat launch we were putting it on. And it was a funny sticker so it wasn’t a demerit. The take out we used was rough, had to drag a raft up a steep embankment and it wasn’t easy. Every evening, people would hang around and help move boats up and carry them onto trailers without asking or expecting anything. Much respect.

I often have friends come and visit and they are always impressed with how pristine our rivers are. I often think if you want to save the planet, maybe start with your own backyard.

I'm glad you had a nice experience. Hit me up if you ever make it to SW Montana.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I lived in Seattle I had someone break in to my house when I was there. My father had given me a gun for protection, so I figured I'd chase them off with it.

They didn't run, and I shot to kill—like I’d been taught. (If I'd had more time to think I probably wouldn't have. I'm not a killer, I was just following the rote instruction I got as a kid & teen).

They lived, so I'm not haunted by that, but the ensuing police and legal wrangling convinced me it wasn't worth it. Despite our state being a "no retreat" state, personally I realize now I could have gone out the window and avoided all of it. They could have stolen all of my shit and it would have been worth it to avoid all the bs.

So, I moved out of Seattle and I don't put myself in situations where I feel a need for a gun to protect me from humans. Alaskan and Canadian fishing trips aside, I don't carry anything more dangerous than my nippers. For me, it's just not worth it.

YMMV

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Thank you for making the distinction between hunters. As we lose many hunting opportunities and move onto other quarry and control of invasives along with depredation it's important to still practice fair chase and honour the game. I take utmost pride in doing so and it's good to see that appreciated.
When I get a head shaped bend in my wading staff I'll make a donation to your trophy room.
that scares the shit out of me more than any so-called "tweakers"
Wait until you meet one in the middle of nowhere. Having just recently come face to face with a tweaker in a Seattle suburb, without my wading staff, I'm thinking it's time to carry.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I often have friends come and visit and they are always impressed with how pristine our rivers are. I often think if you want to save the planet, maybe start with your own backyard.

I'm glad you had a nice experience. Hit me up if you ever make it to SW Montana.

From another thread I posted.
Our shit's trashed. We don't deserve it over here :(

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-104.jpg
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-105.jpg

Found here.
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-109.jpg

JayB

Steelhead
When I lived in Seattle I had someone break in to my house when I was there. My father had given me a gun for protection, so I figured I'd chase them off with it.

They didn't run, and I shot to kill—like I’d been taught.

They lived, so I'm not haunted by that, but the ensuing police and legal wrangling convinced me it wasn't worth it. Despite our state being a "no retreat" state, personally I realize now I could have gone out the window and avoided all of it. They could have stolen all of my shit and it would have been worth it to avoid all the bs.

So, I moved out of Seattle and I don't put myself in situations where I feel a need for a gun to protect me from humans. Alaskan and Canadian fishing trips aside, I don't carry anything more dangerous than my nippers. For me, it's just not worth it.

YMMV
FWIW this is more or less what the retired LEO who taught one of my courses said he'd do, for that very reason.

His kids were grown and out of the house, and he said that in his circumstances, he'd try to avoid contact if at all possible and make every effort to use his gun primarily as a tool to facilitate a safe exit from the premises - then call the police and have them come and secure the house. He then went on to say that this wasn't out of any regard for the criminal, he just didn't want to deal with the hassle of removing bloodstains and/or repairing bullet holes if he didn't have to, let alone an investigation, possible detention, leaving himself to the fickle mercies of a highly politicized prosecutorial apparatus and the potentially ruinous cost of defending himself, and civil liability that would persist even if he had been cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, etc.

He admitted that he'd have to run a different algorithm if he had a family, etc - but even in those circumstances if there was a way to avoid shooting without needlessly endangering his family he'd take that option every single time.

Last edited:

The T.O. Show

Steelhead
Not sure if this thread is about chest rigs anymore but... I have the Diamond D one (link below) for my .44 mag. It's comfortable and works fine tucked under my waders. I think it was only like $70 when I bought it a couple of years ago. I would probably get the Gunfighters rig if I had to do it again. I only carry in big bear country. Heading to Yakutat next week.

https://diamonddoutdoors.com/products/denali-chest-holster

JayB

Steelhead
Not sure if this thread is about chest rigs anymore but... I have the Diamond D one (link below) for my .44 mag. It's comfortable and works fine tucked under my waders. I think it was only like $70 when I bought it a couple of years ago. I would probably get the Gunfighters rig if I had to do it again. I only carry in big bear country. Heading to Yakutat next week.

https://diamonddoutdoors.com/products/denali-chest-holster
Dude - we were just about to get to the Buffalo Bore hard-cast vs Underwood Pentwater + 10mm Semi-auto vs 357 magnum revolver vs 12-gauge slug vs you'll just get mauled to death no matter what so any gun will suffice to kill yourself with part of thecdiscussion and there you go derailing things by posting on topic....

The T.O. Show

Steelhead
Dude - we were just about to get to the Buffalo Bore hard-cast vs Underwood Pentwater + 10mm Semi-auto vs 357 magnum revolver vs 12-gauge slug vs you'll just get mauled to death no matter what so any gun will suffice to kill yourself with part of thecdiscussion and there you go derailing things by posting on topic....

When shooting myself in the head I prefer to use something with maximum penetration and expansion to really get the job done. 45acp high pressure ranger talons, when your life depends on it...

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was hell with my Fanner 50.:ROFLMAO:

Hey, I had that setup too! Silly now to think of all those hours I'll never get back that I spent trying to be a quick draw artist or spent putting "Greenie stick 'em caps" on those spring loaded shell casings. Musta' gone through thousands of greenie stick 'em caps . . .