Cle Elum

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
My dad is here, for the next 3 months, to help out with our little meatball. Every diaper change earns him fishing credits, which he can redeem on the weekends.

He refuses to learn how to fish properly (euro nymphing), so getting him into a decent fish is a challenge. When the flip flop happens, I'm going to start taking him over to Cle Elum. However, I haven't spent much time over there and access is cryptic.

Can anyone PM me with some lukewarm spots? I feel that my valuable contributions to this community, notably politics and the correct way to fish for trout, have earned me such privilege. 😇

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Sorry I can't help, but you seem like a good guy and your a great sport. Hope you and Dad have a good visit and get into some fish.

Divad

Whitefish
My dad is here, for the next 3 months, to help out with our little meatball. Every diaper change earns him fishing credits, which he can redeem on the weekends.

He refuses to learn how to fish properly (euro nymphing), so getting him into a decent fish is a challenge. When the flip flop happens, I'm going to start taking him over to Cle Elum. However, I haven't spent much time over there and access is cryptic.

Can anyone PM me with some lukewarm spots? I feel that my valuable contributions to this community, notably politics and the correct way to fish for trout, have earned me such privilege. 😇
Maybe majpreal would be willing to share some info with you.

I fished it quite a bit 2019 summer, go weekdays or walk far weekends. Good size cutts to be had, bring a thermometer water temps differed a lot from sections in summer, helps find fish.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
What is your range? West MT? N ID? E OR?

Very limited, unfortunately; 1-2h radius of Bellevue. Cle Elum and/or Yakima seem like the obvious choices. Dad is only interested in trout fishing, in rivers, so lakes and so on are out.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the replies and PMs, folks! I will report back when and if I get him onto a fish worth reporting. 🙂

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Very limited, unfortunately; 1-2h radius of Bellevue. Cle Elum and/or Yakima seem like the obvious choices. Dad is only interested in trout fishing, in rivers, so lakes and so on are out.
We got these coho comin' in...
I have had sparse luck in the Cle Elum when the water levels finally drop. Beware the King Salmon redds up there....

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
We got these coho comin' in...
I have had sparse luck in the Cle Elum when the water levels finally drop. Beware the King Salmon redds up there....

Is it possible for two Australian morons to catch a coho, without a lot of effort? We know nothing about salmon fishing. We would be open to doing some dirtbag fishing, if that was a better approach.

Wadin' Boot

Forum Supporter
Is it possible for two Australian morons to catch a coho, without a lot of effort? We know nothing about salmon fishing. We would be open to doing some dirtbag fishing, if that was a better approach.
Having been schooled by multiple Morons and Cretins of Australasia, virtually none of whom had my best interests at heart, I consider myself relatively well prepared to answer your question. I would say, with the confidence of Gary Ablett Jr and Sr that no, it is not possible for Australian Morons to catch a coho let alone plural coho without a lot of effort.

Now if effort translated into money, which, given the cretinous Aussie Dollar buys only 69 cents worth of the simpleton's favorite, the 'ole greenback or $USD, it would make sense for the Bogan (ie you) who earns $USD to treat the Hoon (ie Dad) who earns $AUD to a guided trip with an esteemed master of the fly arts.

Maybe Bob Triggs, who has a green and gold wooden pram to take said visitors on the mission already described.

(The sheer boldness of Trigg's Pram's color scheme should make you and your dad feel like you are in the heart of an Aussie Cheer Section at any high stakes swim event at the Commonwealth Games. )

Or maybe yet Nick Clayton, when his veritable Tuna extravaganza is done, well he might be guiding the gorgeous Fjord of our back yard for these same fish....

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Having been schooled by multiple Morons and Cretins of Australasia, virtually none of whom had my best interests at heart, I consider myself relatively well prepared to answer your question. I would say, with the confidence of Gary Ablett Jr and Sr that no, it is not possible for Australian Morons to catch a coho let alone plural coho without a lot of effort.

Now if effort translated into money, which, given the cretinous Aussie Dollar buys only 69 cents worth of the simpleton's favorite, the 'ole greenback or $USD, it would make sense for the Bogan (ie you) who earns $USD to treat the Hoon (ie Dad) who earns $AUD to a guided trip with an esteemed master of the fly arts.

Maybe Bob Triggs, who has a green and gold wooden pram to take said visitors on the mission already described.

(The sheer boldness of Trigg's Pram's color scheme should make you and your dad feel like you are in the heart of an Aussie Cheer Section at any high stakes swim event at the Commonwealth Games. )

Or maybe yet Nick Clayton, when his veritable Tuna extravaganza is done, well he might be guiding the gorgeous Fjord of our back yard for these same fish....

Dad hates watercraft of any kind. I already proposed those options. 😭

All fishing endeavors would have to be land based. Does that leave any options, for a bogan and a hoon?

Wadin' Boot

Forum Supporter
Your pops hates Boats? Is he PTSD from Lismore floods? Or maybe a true salt of the land from like Wilcannia?

I think I have a workaround for you...

If Mad Max is our shared bible, no true Bogan or Hoon can claim to hate a big engine though. And what are the biggest Engines we can proudly call our own? Why they're on the the Jumbo Mark II Class WSDOT ferry. These monsters make the the Manly ferry look like a cardboard boat held up by hands and/or alcohol vapors on the Todd Regatta.

1661459800445.png

Plus apart from being a tourist destination in their own right, they (or their lesser cousins in the Issaquah class (excepting of course the banged up MV Cathlamet, which was the best place for a WSDOT egg sammich) take you across the water to continue your journey to almost any Northeast facing beach on the Kitsap in mid September on a rising tide.....

Worst case he begs off a WSDOT ride, the worse it gets is a drive across Tacoma Narrows. Every old man I know loves the engineering lessons of Galloping Gertie...that's like 15 minutes of good dad son convo right there...

I am sure the guys at Emerald Anglers can point you in the right direction....

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Your pops hates Boats? Is he PTSD from Lismore floods? Or maybe a true salt of the land from like Wilcannia?

I think I have a workaround for you...

If Mad Max is our shared bible, no true Bogan or Hoon can claim to hate a big engine though. And what are the biggest Engines we can proudly call our own? Why they're on the the Jumbo Mark II Class WSDOT ferry. These monsters make the the Manly ferry look like a cardboard boat held up by hands and/or alcohol vapors on the Todd Regatta.

View attachment 29145

Plus apart from being a tourist destination in their own right, they (or their lesser cousins in the Issaquah class (excepting of course the banged up MV Cathlamet, which was the best place for a WSDOT egg sammich) take you across the water to continue your journey to almost any Northeast facing beach on the Kitsap in mid September on a rising tide.....

Worst case he begs off a WSDOT ride, the worse it gets is a drive across Tacoma Narrows. Every old man I know loves the engineering lessons of Galloping Gertie...that's like 15 minutes of good dad son convo right there...

I am sure the guys at Emerald Anglers can point you in the right direction....

You make some good points. Mum and the wife could also take the car and do some exploring, wherever our chosen ferry ends up. I will investigate. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tallguy

Steelhead
I would start by saying that not only do Australians not know anything about salmon fishing, they don't even know WTF a salmon is:

A salmon is distinctly not related to a herring. Luckily, this can be fixed, and dirtbag methods just so happen to be exactly the right approach. You should go fish for salmon. I recommend a very, very sparsely dressed largish fly hooked through the lips of a small-medium sized herring. When you catch a salmon, pull the herring out of its mouth and compare the two fish very closely. Hold them. Look at all sides. Take pictures of you have to. Dissect if you have to. Take scale samples. Have your dad bring this info back to AUS and disseminate widely.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Yes. Coho can be extremely willing. My in all seriousness advice is put very little into rod choice, gear, lines and all that. Keep it simple. Use a floater, a mono leader, and some form of a lightly weighted fly and strip it. You can use any colour you like as long as it's pink. Well and sometimes black, and sometimes purple. Find the fish in a place where they are biting and the rest is meaningless. If people are catching coho on gear like lures or jigs there's a good chance you can get them with a fly using the above methods in salt or fresh water. Yes it can get more complicated but it doesn't need to be.

Other advice/philosophy on coho. If you know there are fish there and they won't bite after a couple fly and retrieve changes then move. You don't want to catch a lazy coho that won't work for a meal anyway. Move to a new pod of fish. You are looking for immediate cooperation from blue collar brawling chrome fish. When you happen on the right fish in the right water it's pretty instant gratification. Also do take some care to be stealth as coho are among the easiest to put down with noise and ruckus. I've seen the bite spoiled over a dropped set of pliers in an aluminium boat or simply the playing of a fish. Pro tip, if you can find two pods close in the same beat you can fish one and get a couple then alternate to the other and get a couple. You can do this throughout the day.

Last edited: