Ugly fly, tiny fish, and what are these long worms?

WindKnot

Steelhead
Headed out to a thin blue line in SW Washington yesterday evening.
IMG_5248.jpg

I love fishing I small dry flies in places like this, but I often find my dry flies sink after a while, even with generous floatant and various methods of drying off. I hastily tied a few flies before my trip, including one roughly based on a small elk hair caddis and/or stimulator, but with poly pro yarn instead of elk hair. Basically just a peacock ice dub body, yarn, and wrapped hackle on the front (size 12 here). It was ugly, but ended up working really well for these undiscriminating small trout. The fly floated great all evening, and was plenty visible for me to follow in the water. Here's how the fly looked after a dozen fish.

IMG_5260.jpg

All the fish I encountered were very small, but their spunk and constant action made for a fun evening.
IMG_5226.jpg

At one point I looked in a small pool in a side channel and saw two white strands. They looked like string at first, but closer inspection showed they were alive and moving. Each was over 12" long, perfectly white, and very thin.

I pulled one out to get a better look. Here's a still from a video. It had interestingly worked itself into an impressive knot, but fully stretched out it would have been over a foot long.
IMG_5306.jpg

My Google search indicates horsehair worms (sometimes called Gordian worms) looks like a possibility . I saw something similar last year in a Columbia River basin pond near The Dalles, but that one was darker in color. Similar long and thin body with a round cross-section though.

Any ideas on what it is?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
At one point I looked in a small pool in a side channel and saw two white strands. They looked like string at first, but closer inspection showed they were alive and moving. Each was over 12" long, perfectly white, and very thin.

I pulled one out to get a better look. Here's a still from a video. It had interestingly worked itself into an impressive knot, but fully stretched out it would have been over a foot long.
View attachment 28117

My Google search indicates horsehair worms (sometimes called Gordian worms) looks like a possibility . I saw something similar last year in a Columbia River basin pond near The Dalles, but that one was darker in color. Similar long and thin body with a round cross-section though.

Any ideas on what it is?
Yes, I agree that those are horsehair worms (phylum Nematomorpha). The juveniles are parasites of grasshoppers and crickets. The parasite induces the insect to seek water. The larvae emerge from the host as the thin worms that you saw and seek out other horsehair worms to breed and lay eggs.
Steve

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes, I agree that those are horsehair worms (phylum Nematomorpha). The juveniles are parasites of grasshoppers and crickets. The parasite induces the insect to seek water. The larvae emerge from the host and seek out other horsehair worms to breed and lay eggs.
Steve
Guess that’d be a sign to use hoppers, then?