Day Trip on a Dwindling River

1659707201410.png
As I headed out well before dawn on this Thursday morning, I was confronted with the fact that Montana FWP had declared Hoot Owl closures on over a dozen stream sections in SW Montana the previous week. Hoot Owl closures are a simple management tool to protect fish from stress when water temps exceed predetermined levels for three days or more. You can’t fish from 2PM until midnight as that’s when the temps are at their peak. Hoot Owl closures usually engender consternation from anglers and enviros that lament the decline of our SW Montana fisheries attributed to all manner of bogey man reasons. On another forum, one member commented that Hoot Owl closures were just one step away from all our waters becoming warm water fisheries.

The reality is IMO however is that Hoot Owls are a good thing not only for the fish but in some waters for the adventurous angler as well. Having started fishing in SW Montana in the early 1970s, I can say without reservation that in late July and August, SW Montana is hot and dry. 90-degree days are not unusual. This is not a recent phenomenon but the norm. Irrigators with water rights have always used those rights in the valleys our rivers flow in. In late July and August, the water in our rivers dwindle and the waters warm. That’s the norm. I don’t know when the “Hoot Owl” closure management tool went into effect, but they didn’t exist in the early 1970s.
BZN41580.JPG
So, on this trip I was going to fish a section of the Rio Orifice Grande that had recently been subjected to a Hoot Owl closure. Indeed, it was, as it almost always has been, a dwindling, warming river in early August. When I arrived at the river, as I expected, there was the bright orange placard stapled to the fence post announcing the closure. I couldn’t fish after 2PM to reduce stress on the fish in the warming water. With a 6AM start just before dawn the 2PM closure was no obstacle at all. Two weeks earlier when I last fished this section the flows were around 800 CFS. Today they were around 400 and the difference was obvious. I estimate the overall river level had dropped between 12-18”. The inter pool riffles were narrower, but longer and shallower. The flow lines in the pools had narrowed. It indeed was a dwindling river.
BZN41582.JPG
Deep pools sheltered by complex log jams provide refuge even during low water

I mentioned above that Hoot Owl closures provide some advantages to the adventurous angler. First, overall pressure on Hoot Owl river sections drops precipitously, especially sections that are usually floated. Not only are waters lower and more difficult to float, full-day outfitted floats aren’t possible and in some cases float lengths are too long for a half-day float. The overall impact is fewer anglers and more opportunities at hungry, undisturbed fish. The other reality is that low, warmer water doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t deep, cool refuges along the river course. In a river like the lower Rio Orifice Grande that flows through extensive Cottonwood bottoms, nature has carved out huge, deep pools that might be upwards of 10’ deep at their deepest point. A 12-18” drop in river levels and warmer water has little effect on these refuges. Additionally, many reaches of Cottonwood bottom rivers are shaded by tall groves of trees for most the day. Finding and fishing these refuges in the early mornings during Hoot Owl closures is usually very productive. Even the midnight stones were still active and abundant along the riffle edges.
BZN41589.JPG
Midnight stonefly nymphal husks were abundant along most riffle edges.

BZN01546.JPG
Big Boy Pool - Note the tongue of flow angling in from the left - 10' deep+ at the heart of the pool

For me, today was no exception. By 9AM I had reached a pool I call the Big Boy pool because it almost always delivers some decent fish. The deepest section of the pool covers about 30 yards and benefits from a strong flow entering the pool from the left bank. This was sink-tip, streamer water. Even though there were a few rising fish working midges, tricos and caddis, the dry fly only resulted in smaller fish. The big boys were down deep at the heart of the pool. I worked the pool with a Pine Squirrel bugger and hooked six browns that all pushed 18”. Every one of them connected as the bugger swung through the bottom of the pool.
BZN51599.JPGBZN41571.JPG
By 10:30AM I was tiring as the fight against mosquitos and deer flies was getting tedious, one deer fly having viciously bloodied my ear before I could wack him. Wading with the kayak was actually a bit tougher with the lower water as riffles were longer and shallower. Also, the lower, warmer water made every surface that much more slippery with the invisible slime that accumulates on the rock surfaces. It takes a toll on the feet.

I never saw another angler all morning and it was doubtful there were any floaters coming down river as it was a fair bit to the upstream access. The fishing was great, the weather in the morning cool with a light breeze and my adventure unaffected by any Hoot Owls.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Another nice report and great fish. Did you take a temperature when you started and/or finished?

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another nice report and great fish. Did you take a temperature when you started and/or finished?
Actually I didn’t even though I had a thermometer with me. At least at 6AM the water was a lot cooler than I’ve experienced in the past so I didn’t think much about it. The air temp at dawn was 51 degrees so a lot of cooling goes on overnight. In the deep pools standing thigh deep even in waders, it is evident that the temps aren’t much above mid 60s. It’s tough to figure out temps at the bottom of deep pools but I’ll try and remember to take some readings on the next trip. Shade and depth are a good thing.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Actually I didn’t even though I had a thermometer with me. At least at 6AM the water was a lot cooler than I’ve experienced in the past so I didn’t think much about it. The air temp at dawn was 51 degrees so a lot of cooling goes on overnight. In the deep pools standing thigh deep even in waders, it is evident that the temps aren’t much above mid 60s. It’s tough to figure out temps at the bottom of deep pools but I’ll try and remember to take some readings on the next trip. Shade and depth are a good thing.
Shade and depth are often a good thing for holding fish, especially when temperatures start to rise and flows start to drop. I've done some work in my professional life looking into thermal stratification in rivers in Western Washington. It's interesting--some show evidence of thermal stratification in some pools, and in some rivers I couldn't find any significant thermal stratification, even in 20-foot-deep pools; they were well-mixed. I suspect that where we do find thermal stratification in rivers, it is driven by hyporheic flow and/or groundwater upwelling, and it is hard to predict from the surface where those spots will be. Also, on dynamic rivers like the Rio Orifice Grande, they can shift over time. All this is to say, the deep pools might be cooler, and they might not. The only way to know is to measure them.
Thanks again for your reports and photos.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shade and depth are often a good thing for holding fish, especially when temperatures start to rise and flows start to drop. I've done some work in my professional life looking into thermal stratification in rivers in Western Washington. It's interesting--some show evidence of thermal stratification in some pools, and in some rivers I couldn't find any significant thermal stratification, even in 20-foot-deep pools; they were well-mixed. I suspect that where we do find thermal stratification in rivers, it is driven by hyporheic flow and/or groundwater upwelling, and it is hard to predict from the surface where those spots will be. Also, on dynamic rivers like the Rio Orifice Grande, they can shift over time. All this is to say, the deep pools might be cooler, and they might not. The only way to know is to measure them.
Thanks again for your reports and photos.
One of the factors that clearly influences river water temps is the ambient air temps in region the river flows through. In the case of the Lower Rio Orifice Grande, that region is the lower Beaverhead Valley which in my experience usually experiences overnight lows at least 10 degrees cooler than local towns or areas above the valley bottom. When I left Bozeman at 4:30AM the local outside air temp was 65. Traveling west of Three Forks over the pass near Cottonwood Canyon, the temp reached 70. As I drove south from Whitehall, the temps dropped precipitously as I moved along the Jefferson/Beaverhead corridor until I reached the river where it was 51 degrees. Almost a 15-degree difference from Bozeman, although Bozeman is 200 feet higher. It was still going to reach the 90s by mid-afternoon, but the morning would start off pretty cool.

Here are the USGS plots for the two monitoring sites that straddle the reach I like to fish which is approximately mid-way in between. Glen is the upstream gage. The lowest gage temps fall around dawn and have been fairly consistent in the low to mid-60s regardless of flow. Although they rise precipitously in the afternoon, they fall precipitously after darkness sets in. What is obviously not obvious from this data is the actual temps at any given time in various parts of the river, but they do paint a good case for the Hoot Owl closure.
Big Hole Glen USGS.jpg
Big Hole Hamilton USGS.jpg