trib of a trib of a trib of a trib

I got a last minute invite up to a cabin on Mt Hood. As is, Mt Hood isn't exactly known for big fish. And this cabin was on a trib of a trib of a trib and I could literally walk over it. In most places water was less than ankle deep. But I brought a 8' 4wt and after my wife and friends told me there was absolutely no fish I had to prove them wrong.

I caught a 3-4" cutt in every likely "plunge pool" and hooked into (and lost) the resident monster. I had a roughly 8" cutt on for a hot second, but considering he was lying in a 18" wide pool it didn't take hime long to run into the sticks. The entire time I was on the water, my fly line never came out of the tip top. Was mostly just throwing 3-6' of leader and dapping my Yellow Humpy in all the "deeper spots.

I've done some skinny water fishing but never THIS skinny. It was a hoot for the hour I did it while my kid was throwing rocks 20' behind me.

It was fun as shit.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 1.47.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 12.48.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-01 at 12.52.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-01 at 12.53.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-01 at 12.53.57 PM.png

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
You would be surprised as to no matter how small the creeks are here in Montana that will be a fish or two in them. One I have in mind is about as big as the one mentioned in this thread. Only about a foot wide with deeper holes. Fish are small but feisty