Indicator Flies

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Using a large dry fly as an indicator is often an effective way to fish the upper and lower parts of the water column. The hopper/dropper tactic is well known. On a popular lake, I noticed that Rainbows would occasionally come up and check out the indicator. I often considered using a foam fly with rubber legs as the indicator and yesterday I finally gave it a try. Four Rainbows ate the dropper and two ate the Chubby Chernobyl. I dislike tying a dropper on a barbless hook, because the dropper comes off in the net, so I cut the eye off a standard dry fly and lashed it to the shank of an intact hook before tying the fly.

F8C8DB7E-09C7-422E-AEC6-5B1A5359398D.jpeg

5D27A259-DCCD-4DA4-841E-8488F8E25C02.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
cool solution!

I've personally never had the situation where the dropped knot slides off the bend, but regardless, I like this thinking.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I like the ingenuity, but I suspect that will tangle too much for my liking.

I only fish rivers, but I usually just attach the dropper through the eye of the dry fly. When fishing two flies, I always use constant tension casts (eg. water haul, Belgian cast, helicopter cast, etc). That almost eliminates tangles entirely, regardless of how I've set up my rig.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Using a large dry fly as an indicator is often an effective way to fish the upper and lower parts of the water column. The hopper/dropper tactic is well known. On a popular lake, I noticed that Rainbows would occasionally come up and check out the indicator. I often considered using a foam fly with rubber legs as the indicator and yesterday I finally gave it a try. Four Rainbows ate the dropper and two ate the Chubby Chernobyl. I dislike tying a dropper on a barbless hook, because the dropper comes off in the net, so I cut the eye off a standard dry fly and lashed it to the shank of an intact hook before tying the fly.

View attachment 21741

View attachment 21742
Innovative!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
You can also use a "trailer hitch". In place of the cut off hook, use a doubled over piece of 15lb maxima to make a loop hanging off the back of the hook, as the first step in tying. Easy, sturdy loop to loop connection. Also great for heavy tool nymphs, like stoneflies.

Here's an example.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I only need one fly to catch fish…
No tandems, no bobbers needed. 😉

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I like the ingenuity, but I suspect that will tangle too much for my liking.

I only fish rivers, but I usually just attach the dropper through the eye of the dry fly. When fishing two flies, I always use constant tension casts (eg. water haul, Belgian cast, helicopter cast, etc). That almost eliminates tangles entirely, regardless of how I've set up my rig.
If the wind is blowing 20 mph it’s going to tangle regardless of your casting ability. Especially if you’re casting at a bad angle to the wind. The problem is exacerbated by long light tippets and weight or beads on the fly. Basically it’s a cost benefit analysis. Do you gain something by fishing two flies or does it cost more time than it’s worth? I wanted to prove the concept so it worked for me. And when I got done it was tangled at the indicator fly.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If the wind is blowing 20 mph it’s going to tangle regardless of your casting ability. Especially if you’re casting at a bad angle to the wind. The problem is exacerbated by long light tippets and weight or beads on the fly. Basically it’s a cost benefit analysis. Do you gain something by fishing two flies or does it cost more time than it’s worth? I wanted to prove the concept so it worked for me. And when I got done it was tangled at the indicator fly.

Have you ever seen the "euro style dry dropper" technique? The dry fly is tied on a tag, so it can move independently of the (heavy AF) nymph. Tippets are usually 6-7x. It is pretty much the worse case scenario, for tangles. 😂

Constant tension casts are the only way to cast these rigs. Anything else will tangle instantly. It is very effective, but definitely falls into the "not worth it" category, for me.

C22CB15A-ED29-48DE-83ED-77729D0FF22F.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I use a stimulator on a 6" dropper for the indicator fly. Takes fish floating, and I can still see it fine submerged where it takes just as many if not more fish.

Last edited:

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Have you ever seen the "euro style dry dropper" technique? The dry fly is tied on a tag, so it can move independently of the (heavy AF) nymph. Tippets are usually 6-7x. It is pretty much the worse case scenario, for tangles. 😂

Constant tension casts are the only way to cast these rigs. Anything else will tangle instantly.

View attachment 21869
Yes I’ve actually fished that style of leader for steelhead. Not my fave though because it was such a pain to retie the leaders. It was effective though. You could fish a regular size fly and a small one for the finicky steelhead at low summer flows.