Let's talk life's simple pleasures

Otter

Steelhead
Catching a whiff of burning jet fuel down by the harbour, when a De Havilland Turbo Otter floatplane is landing or taking off. Our sense of smell is the sense most closely linked to memory. So when I smell that jet fuel, I instantly think of my long-departed Dad. I have absolutely no control over this. Happens in less than a second. As a child, we took Dad to Vancouver airport so many, many times, as he regularly flew for work all over Canada and the U.S. Back then, there was an outside open observation deck at VYR, where we experienced all the smells and sounds. Classic jets like DC-8s and Boeing 707s. I loved the smell of their burning jet fuel then. I love it even more nowadays.

By the way, those commuter Turbo Otters may look like pretty sedate and boring aircraft, but they are pretty high performance machines. I once watched a pilot make some amazing moves, right after he dropped off a charter group on a Gulf Island beach. He was obviously letting loose from his usual boring A-to-B ferry trips with passengers, out of sight from the brass. He made some amazing tight turns, climbs, and dives, just off the water!

Anyway, that's one of my simple pleasures. For any aviation buffs, this is the plane that brings my memories:

1656733066163.png

Last edited:

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
'What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!'
(Arnold Schwarzenegger, Conan The Barbarian).

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
simple pleasures? right now, after spending 12 days traveling with my amazing family and extended family, we got back yesterday afternoon. I basically just went to bed, woke up at around midnight, and got back to the one of the simplest of pleasures for me: tied up a fly that I'll fish today on a sleep deprived (and likely short) fishing day for big predators.

PYRNTF9.jpg

I enjoy tying these things almost as much as fishing them.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
About 5-6 yrs ago, I told the “professional” lawn guys to stay the hell off “my” yard… I’ll take care of it myself. I live in an apartment, in the middle of the city, that looks more country setting than city.

There’s an “apartments for rent” posting that has “my” backyard in it…it says they are “professionally landscaped”… 😂

Overseed, lime , weed n feed, fall fertilizer, edging, bark dust, non-motorized reel mower…(“my” yard is the darker green and no weeds)

I like a cold one and a fine cigar back there… as the dull drone of the “city ants” drive to and fro.

Very relaxing.

The yellowed yard is next to mine and the “professional guys” had just mowed… 😳
7CE4DE29-1ED8-4601-98E7-D9CE209E1AC3.jpeg

Attachments

• 902C6E9B-D8C2-45A3-A394-B8FECC4E6E5A.jpeg
    902C6E9B-D8C2-45A3-A394-B8FECC4E6E5A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Knowing what real love is. Story: met her in college 1972-3. 6 months trying to figure each other out. We moved on got married to others, kids and divorced boyfriends girlfriends and grandkids. Linked in communique… reconnected . Both near retirement. She was always thee one. Weird how things occur in this life. Being truly happy is the best way to experience life and deal with all of it with someone you truly realize you love unconditionally. I feel lucky that we reconnected 46 years later.

cdnred

Life of the Party
I'm an early riser...like this morning up at 3.

But it is awesome being up before everyone else, having some coffee, and catching a sunrise.

What a killer way to start the day.
That's the best time of the day before everything gets polluted by the noise and traffic, ya gotta love that time..

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
That's the best time of the day before everything gets polluted by the noise and traffic, ya gotta love that time..
I am up at about 5 daily. Make coffee have a cup… walk the garden every morning making mental notes of what needs to be done. Walk 5 blocks to the store for a newspaper. Make more coffee to take to my sweetheart… and read the paper perhaps doing the NYTimes crossword. Every day is like how I remember early Sunday mornings before the kids woke up and things got noisy

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I am up at about 5 daily. Make coffee have a cup… walk the garden every morning making mental notes of what needs to be done. Walk 5 blocks to the store for a newspaper. Make more coffee to take to my sweetheart… and read the paper perhaps doing the NYTimes crossword. Every day is like how I remember early Sunday mornings before the kids woke up and things got noisy
It’s funny, I get up early and move around the kitchen like a Ninja/Native Tracker. Quiet as a mouse. I make the tiniest teaspoon tinkle and my kids are up and asking me for 437 things. Then, later on when I ask them to get dressed or go to bed, their incredible owl like hearing has somehow disappeared!