fishing under roads...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
likely similar results for you as well...on one break wife and I spent a long week fishing around Colorado, best fishing we found was a mile from mother-in-law's house in Gunnison, just outside of town where the road goes over the Gunnison river...same in the Methhow Valley, fished lottta location along the river, best fishing was where the road went over the river...a fork of the Santiam in Oregon, same deal, super reliable...I get the set-up, excavation setting the pilings creates a deeper pool, overhead road creates shade...fairly humorous, however, to spend a day exploring a river, not have much luck..'ok, honey, let's go catch some fish and listen to traffic go by...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
likely similar results for you as well...on one break wife and I spent a long week fishing around Colorado, best fishing we found was a mile from mother-in-law's house in Gunnison, just outside of town where the road goes over the Gunnison river...same in the Methhow Valley, fished lottta location along the river, best fishing was where the road went over the river...a fork of the Santiam in Oregon, same deal, super reliable...I get the set-up, excavation setting the pilings creates a deeper pool, overhead road creates shade...fairly humorous, however, to spend a day exploring a river, not have much luck..'ok, honey, let's go catch some fish and listen to traffic go by...
I also know of a honey hole under a bridge on a fork of the Santiam.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
That was one of the 1st lessons learned as a kid... want to catch fish, fish the available structure, especially the bridges. Works great on small streams

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Hell, last Florida keys trip I took, the most fun I had was when I talked the guide out of pounding the flats for another tarpon and we went and fished the pilings under the highway. That was good clean American fun.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Structure, depth, shade and cover. What’s a fish not to like. Bridges are always a place check out. Not foolproof. Sometimes silt and debris collects there as well but if it’s free flowing, always at top spot to explore.

Good in cold weather environs as well. One of my favorite spots on the Bitterroot in winter when I lived in Missoula, MT was right outside the shade line and along the cement columns of a large bridge in late afternoon. You could find fish rising there on all but the very worst cold snaps of the year. Someone told me (maybe a fly shop) or I read somewhere that water will warm where columns/pilings get prolonged, exposure to the sun, and water movement is minimal. Keeps the fish more active through the coldest months. Not sure how true that is but it aligned with my experiences on that river.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I helped a guy land a summer run this morning that he hooked from a bridge. He sighted it, presented it something and hooked it. He played it and looked helpless to land it. I offered to hold the rod while he went down and grabbed it. I explained I was liable in no way for losing the fish should it happen. He got it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pretty sure I know the one.
Depends if it’s above or below the lake.
The one I hit is above (not hot spitting because there’s at least 4).

So my kid loves fish. Specifically “fresh” trout. Meaning during the summer we catch and keep a lot of 10” hatchery brats from Timothy Lake on our canoe and she inhales them (she’s 4). But she doesn’t quite understand the catch and release concept and she gets really upset with me when I fish the Met and don’t come home with fish for her to eat. So I usually budget an extra 30 minutes on my drive home to hit the Supermarket Hole under the bridge to bring her a fish or two :)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I helped a guy land a summer run this morning that he hooked from a bridge. He sighted it, presented it something and hooked it. He played it and looked helpless to land it. I offered to hold the rod while he went down and grabbed it. I explained I was liable in no way for losing the fish should it happen. He got it.
That’s some good chrome karma.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That’s some good chrome karma.

It is, it works. I once tailed a winter fish in the Smith river canyon wearing a suit. I was on the way to a meeting but noticed a poor guy struggling with a jumping fish. He looked at me like I was superman as I ran back up the rocks to my car. Until next time sir......

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
most reliable tidewater King salmon hole on my fave coastal river is right in the middle of a small town, alongside a small bridge ...can stand on the bridge 20' above the water, watch the King's suddenly emerge from the depths to either take a pass or nail a presentation...always a moment when a 30# King darts up

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Seen that situation a number of times on moving water. Favorite was on the St Regis, shockingly large cutts under a trestle. Hole was long, dark and deep. Of course my father-in-law took the head of household out of there that day. The two of us "kids" were officially schooled. I took good notes and thanked him for the lesson.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Depends if it’s above or below the lake.
The one I hit is above (not hot spitting because there’s at least 4).

So my kid loves fish. Specifically “fresh” trout. Meaning during the summer we catch and keep a lot of 10” hatchery brats from Timothy Lake on our canoe and she inhales them (she’s 4). But she doesn’t quite understand the catch and release concept and she gets really upset with me when I fish the Met and don’t come home with fish for her to eat. So I usually budget an extra 30 minutes on my drive home to hit the Supermarket Hole under the bridge to bring her a fish or two :)
Yup, same spot. It gets muuuuuuuuuuch better when the lake gets 80 degrees or so. Guess where they go? ;)

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
It is, it works. I once tailed a winter fish in the Smith river canyon wearing a suit. I was on the way to a meeting but noticed a poor guy struggling with a jumping fish. He looked at me like I was superman as I ran back up the rocks to my car. Until next time sir......

Looking at you're avatar, I had no idea would would be able to fit in a suit, that would be a sight :).

cheers

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Somewhere off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good for rainbows or browns, make sure to fish all the way through.

331765_10101092543111709_1774196404_o.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Around here the bridges are magnets for beer drinking teens and others, including families, to hang out, as there is always a swimming hole. Often they are fishing bait too. That said, with the number of fisher I've seen approach the river then walk a 100yds. or more before fishing, I hit everything. Sometimes there is a surprise.