Float Tube Opinions

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Really boils down to how and where you fish. If you are fishing smaller waters, have to carry it much, then a simple float tube is the way to go. If you are fishing spots that require a bit more movement around once on the water then I think a frameless pontoon is the way to go.

Now the correct way to go is to have both!!! I have a Bucks Bag float tube and an Outcast frameless pontoon. And for the record I have not used the float tube a single time since I got the frameless pontoon.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Well my tube purchase went bust. False advertising. Really had no inventory. Kind of a "bait and switch" scenario. Seems there is a major shortage of Outcast tubes. Cannot find a one I'm interested in. Fly shops put you on a 6 month wait list as the China connection fails them.

I have found a Fish Cat 4. Weighing 225# I'm concerned I my be to large for it. What do you Fish Cat 4 owners think?
I will also start looking for a used boat.

Zak

Legend
Well my tube purchase went bust. False advertising. Really had no inventory. Kind of a "bait and switch" scenario. Seems there is a major shortage of Outcast tubes. Cannot find a one I'm interested in. Fly shops put you on a 6 month wait list as the China connection fails them.

I have found a Fish Cat 4. Weighing 225# I'm concerned I my be to large for it. What do you Fish Cat 4 owners think?
I have a FC4 (thanks @Jake !). I'm somewhere around 220lbs and it is fine. You'll be fine in that.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Time of year weighs in too. Usually between holidays and spring they'll sell out of the more popular stuff.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

If you find yourself in north Seattle, you are welcome to borrow my SFC until you find something. It is the older foam seat model but it will get you on the water.
SF

Brian in OR.

Steelhead

It will float you fine but is a bit narrow, get the next size up...

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I own a Fishcat 4 but do not like the apron that you add. I have owned other fishcats and a Bucks bags utube and an Outwater i use as a loner. I love high lake fishing.
The bucks bag wasmy first… what a great one the mustang was. I fished salmon and steelhead in it at Drano for years. Finally recycled it after 23 years. Never a bladder issue in the tube… out on Merrill it was me with that issue. Nickname coined by my oldest friend Jim of “walnutboy” Ha!

Divad

Whitefish
@Wetswinger call sportsman in Puyallup and federal way. They have a Lost Creek tube on sale right now for $380 (EDIT not the best valves I’d get the $180 LC4/FC4).

Also sportsman online can be vastly different stock than in store. Sometimes it’s a lag in inventory reporting, one off purchases, localized orders etc.

Call them.

8B40B323-EF24-4BCA-A227-4A7CA2D9AD35.png

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I just ordered one of these a couple days ago, given the chatter here. Not sure how badly I "need" this, but for $180, just in case seemed like a compelling argument.
Great move, you're $100 ahead of me and I thought the FC4 was well worth it. I'd be right behind on this if I were in the market.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wow, it arrived already today. Looks like it shipped from SLC fulfillment center for SW. It's funny; it even comes with a shipping paper that looks like Aire - Outcast letterhead. It's way heavier than the nylon pack cloth of my old Caddis doughnut tube, but not to heavy to pack into Lenice or similar walk-in lakes, places where the WM is just to heavy (when combined with fishing gear). I might take it over to Munn and try it out for a crappie if it ever stops raining around here.

Divad

Whitefish
Wow, it arrived already today. Looks like it shipped from SLC fulfillment center for SW. It's funny; it even comes with a shipping paper that looks like Aire - Outcast letterhead. It's way heavier than the nylon pack cloth of my old Caddis doughnut tube, but not to heavy to pack into Lenice or similar walk-in lakes, places where the WM is just to heavy (when combined with fishing gear). I might take it over to Munn and try it out for a crappie if it ever stops raining around here.
Was at Munners a week or so ago, fish were empty on pumps, no casings or any sign of a hatch that day. Go to the opposite end as the boat launch. Almost into the weeds, what’s left of the big boys were all back there, SE corner. Leeches.

The ability to patch if it ever happens with something as basic as a bike tire vulcanizing patch, is worth the weight to me.

We need a tube party.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
OK, I'm ready to roll. Bought a used fish cat 4, my flippers arrived, took my NFC 10ft, 6# off of the classifieds (f-it, nobody wants it, I'll use it) and tied up a bunch of flies. Monday maiden voyage....Thank you all for your generous help...
Full rept w/ pics!