Welcome to June in NE Ohio

Some variety from another "slightly different" part of the country. No majestic mountains or foothill flowers here. In the Buckeye State it's all about heat, humidity, and flat - flat - FLAT!

Did I mention the shallow swampy water everywhere? In no time we go from ice you can drive on, to spring thaw (blink and you'll miss it), to this.

Brings us to bright and early this morning. I thought I was goin' bassin' and I sorta did, but you never know in the month of June who will show up, and who might steal the show. Turns out this 9 acre pond was a grab bag and, most notably, its trout population wasn't quite ready to throw in the towel for the year. They'll summer kill soon enough, but not today.

Reporting for duty
5F85325A-10FC-4E81-88E5-0CE46DC39EC6.jpeg

Ain't exactly the west, but the sun still rises in NE Ohio
C8A9AD40-DCF3-47E0-AFF4-D531C5410B7A.jpeg

Fitting first strike
A2A14B7F-F02B-4B14-BF09-542F1ED6EEA0.jpeg

Add some bassiness
48A7B6B2-C4C1-4C51-BF86-0BD608683443.jpeg

Struck gold too
CB47B468-D25F-42A4-95FB-32D89D3BAD31.jpeg

And eventually called it a day
78E4ACD5-0535-48F8-A9A1-B663B9B4408C.jpeg

Not pictured: 1 crappie, several perch...what was I thinking? Nevertheless, a nice late season surprise on all the trout, every take tight to shore. Beyond the carp, I was only eluded by the pond's prolific bluegill population...another go-figure. I'll have to work on that.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Apparently all that flat, flat land has some dips in it so as to hold water.

I still don't understand Tim. I always thought people move "from" Ohio, not "to" Ohio. BTW, we had humidity here for a couple of days too, then it just turned to ordinary rain. Which we have a little too much of.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Apparently all that flat, flat land has some dips in it so as to hold water.

I still don't understand Tim. I always thought people move "from" Ohio, not "to" Ohio. BTW, we had humidity here for a couple of days too, then it just turned to ordinary rain. Which we have a little too much of.
Oh we have dips, the good ones go all the way to 10 feet!

So the Ohio to Seattle train got thwarted when Peg's and my employer eliminated 80 or so jobs in WA 4 years ago. We were given the "priviledge"'of moving to Ohio to keep ours. And this close to hanging it up kept us from starting over - at least the real estate was free going in that direction 🤠 Won't be here forever.

Hope to catch you out there, maybe at a fling?