My first rod build

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Just getting started I have flamed the stock and split and rough out the butt and mid section next the tips. I have a great appreciation for what it takes to build a bamboo rod. I really enjoy the journey and have a lot to learn and hope I build a good rod. But my wife is already eyeing my mistakes to support her tomato plants.2C70DC00-8D9B-4EFD-963D-B001A11AD1C8.jpeg43D03FA1-8ED0-4E1D-9105-8914C8AE8E4F.jpeg1FA13D07-3345-48B6-AB08-4392B37F7580.jpeg

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I will be there Jerry but I don’t think the rod will be close to casting but I have some rods that I think you guys will enjoy casting. This rod that I’m building is a two handed spey rod and I have at least two weekends before the rod will be ready to test. I look forward to getting together with fellow bamboo fly rod fishers.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just getting started I have flamed the stock and split and rough out the butt and mid section next the tips. I have a great appreciation for what it takes to build a bamboo rod. I really enjoy the journey and have a lot to learn and hope I build a good rod. But my wife is already eyeing my mistakes to support her tomato plants.View attachment 15276View attachment 15277View attachment 15278

Using the MHM means that you must pay particular attention to straightening and node flattening. It's probably a good thing in the long run to master those skills right off the bat.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Using the MHM means that you must pay particular attention to straightening and node flattening. It's probably a good thing in the long run to master those skills right off the bat.
You are correct on the straightening and the node flattening was a challenge on the butt section, the mid section was a lot easier and the blanks I have for the tips are pretty straight. Because your cutting on two side any node that is not flat changes the width and is hard to correct. This is fun as I have not worked with this material before but was a custom wood worker for 6 years so that knowledge has help me adjust to the quirks of bamboo.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Your wood working experience puts you leaps and bounds ahead of where many others start. As you say it's really just a matter of adjusting to the quirks of a new material.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I find the base strips to be the most difficult to straighten and flatten nodes myself too. Not being a MHM user, is there a fixture or attachment to remove the enamel before you begin plaining to taper or is that done after your strips are triangular?

Last edited:

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I find the base strips to be the most difficult to straighten and flatten nodes myself too. Not being a MHM user, is there a fixture or attachment to remove the enamel before you begin plaining to taper or is that done after your strips are triangular?
There is an attachment for removing the enamel which is done after the strips are planed to size. I picked up there star cutter for hollowing also which I’m curious how that will work. I have the 60.5 degree and the 61.5 degree cutter and I will play around with that in the future also.