Lake Report

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Last Friday, I decided to go solo at my favorite lake. It had been probably two weeks since the last time, and that day was pretty good. This time was better!

Got in the water around 9:30. There were at least two others who beat me in. Given the success of the red-bead Carey Special (not an Olive Willy tie and Intermediate line), I decided to skip experimenting with new ties and got down to business, working clockwise around the lake from the boat launch.

Fairly soon, I got into the fish. The first few were around 14.5” with one at 15”. All nice fighters. Some were caught casting close to shoreline with vegetation and retrieving past docks, but what was constant was how shallow the fish were holding. My guess was at around maybe 4ft? There were also trout rising nearly all day until the middle of the afternoon.

Okay. The trout were quite eager. At one point, I put my rod in its holder and pulled out my iPhone to do some foreign language lessons on the Duolingo app. Just blindly slow kicking around. It was as if I was trying to eat a sandwich while fishing. Out of near a half-dozen strikes, you lose 2/3. And this was well within 10 to 15 minutes. Just annoying!

As I worked my way around closer to the east end, the number of strikes slowed down. That might have been because I was more trying to make time to the far end than target possible habitat.

The weedy shallows at the east end of the lake has always held my interest for a number of reasons. It used to not be as weedy, and I could count on finding Browns there. Not so much anymore. What I did find was one surprisingly large Black Crappie. At least I think it was one. Very deep but narrow body, tiny mouth. Sorry no picture. But that fish reminded me to move to where I couldn’t see the weeds.

By then, it was past Noon, and time to work my way back—with at least some haste along the southern shore. Of course, that’s when I couldn’t keep the fish off. I’m trying to make time by kicking fin moderately strong and doing the strip-release with my intermediate line. Brought to hand a good number of recently planted rainbows at around 12”. There were a few shaded spots I was curious to see if they held fish, so I casted into there. Only surprisingly smaller trout. Nothing more than 12”.

Further along I went westward, the wind started picking up from behind my back. At the same time, more trout were striking. While fun, every time I stopped to net and unhook a fish, I’d loose almost all the distance I gained, due to the wind. It got to the point where I would try to play the fish a little but see if it could toss the hook. It was already 2:00 and I thought I’d be done an hour before.

So It was maybe 200 ft from where I planned to make my turn for the boat launch, and fly line is telegraph-tapping a message from someone with a big thumb. Figuring that I was not that far from my turning point, I decided to slow down a lot and slowly strip line in. That was when I got the message.

A6D9DFFB-70ED-4D77-A031-30CE11160DAD.jpeg

16 inches of trouty goodness! Uhh… not the best picture for verification, as you can’t see the number at the nose. Sorry, but one has to keep the fish wet as much as possible.

I managed to catch only a few more by the time I bailed. Basically, the bite died out around 2:30. By then, I guess I brought to hand between 10 to 12 rainbows. Where the Browns and the every mysterious cutthroats are, I still don’t know. Overall, my best day of fishing this year.

Attachments

• FEFB7990-DE35-4466-8954-68DA802F7134.jpeg
    FEFB7990-DE35-4466-8954-68DA802F7134.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Dave, just got off the water there - exactly right about the browns, nuthin'! Otherwise great in the weeds and bushes. Somehow I thought you were shipped out, I'll look you up when I'm back.

Sending you a quick pm. Hope all is well!

T

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wow! You were there! Had I known.

But, yes, if you think about where prime lies are, you will find fish. However, I think actual presentation can make the difference between attracting smaller versus larger trout: fly choice and motion imparted. But much of that will shift as the days get warmer and less cloud cover.

To be honest, fish were so willing that I had two hook ups with only ten feet of line outside the tip guide. I was setting myself up for something targeted, and it was suddenly fish on. Helps to have a magic fly on the end.

Last edited:

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think my fishing partner, Brad, is going to be pissed I posted this. The only difference is that we seemed to have the scene dialed in better than most. Hate to talk that way, but we’ve put in our time on a mostly cruel and unforgiving piece of water. It’s more like we go there with very diminished expectations. Humble hats in hand.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last Friday, I decided to go solo at my favorite lake. It had been probably two weeks since the last time, and that day was pretty good. This time was better!

Got in the water around 9:30. There were at least two others who beat me in. Given the success of the red-bead Carey Special (not an Olive Willy tie and Intermediate line), I decided to skip experimenting with new ties and got down to business, working clockwise around the lake from the boat launch.

Fairly soon, I got into the fish. The first few were around 14.5” with one at 15”. All nice fighters. Some were caught casting close to shoreline with vegetation and retrieving past docks, but what was constant was how shallow the fish were holding. My guess was at around maybe 4ft? There were also trout rising nearly all day until the middle of the afternoon.

Okay. The trout were quite eager. At one point, I put my rod in its holder and pulled out my iPhone to do some foreign language lessons on the Duolingo app. Just blindly slow kicking around. It was as if I was trying to eat a sandwich while fishing. Out of near a half-dozen strikes, you lose 2/3. And this was well within 10 to 15 minutes. Just annoying!

As I worked my way around closer to the east end, the number of strikes slowed down. That might have been because I was more trying to make time to the far end than target possible habitat.

The weedy shallows at the east end of the lake has always held my interest for a number of reasons. It used to not be as weedy, and I could count on finding Browns there. Not so much anymore. What I did find was one surprisingly large Black Crappie. At least I think it was one. Very deep but narrow body, tiny mouth. Sorry no picture. But that fish reminded me to move to where I couldn’t see the weeds.

By then, it was past Noon, and time to work my way back—with at least some haste along the southern shore. Of course, that’s when I couldn’t keep the fish off. I’m trying to make time by kicking fin moderately strong and doing the strip-release with my intermediate line. Brought to hand a good number of recently planted rainbows at around 12”. There were a few shaded spots I was curious to see if they held fish, so I casted into there. Only surprisingly smaller trout. Nothing more than 12”.

Further along I went westward, the wind started picking up from behind my back. At the same time, more trout were striking. While fun, every time I stopped to net and unhook a fish, I’d loose almost all the distance I gained, due to the wind. It got to the point where I would try to play the fish a little but see if it could toss the hook. It was already 2:00 and I thought I’d be done an hour before.

So It was maybe 200 ft from where I planned to make my turn for the boat launch, and fly line is telegraph-tapping a message from someone with a big thumb. Figuring that I was not that far from my turning point, I decided to slow down a lot and slowly strip line in. That was when I got the message.

View attachment 15253

16 inches of trouty goodness! Uhh… not the best picture for verification, as you can’t see the number at the nose. Sorry, but one has to keep the fish wet as much as possible.

I managed to catch only a few more by the time I bailed. Basically, the bite died out around 2:30. By then, I guess I brought to hand between 10 to 12 rainbows. Where the Browns and the every mysterious cutthroats are, I still don’t know. Overall, my best day of fishing this year.
@troutpocket caught a nice crappie there once. Any bass?

dflett68

Steelhead
i was out there last night from about 6:30, got off the water after dark. took my best fish from the ramp before launching. it swirled 15 feet out as i wheeled the pontoon down and i figured it was one of the 3,000 legals that were milling around the launch at the beginning of this month. turned out to be a nice fish in spawning regalia.

the rest of the night i worked my normal circuit of spots and took fish in most of them. air was soft, sky was dark, rained off and on most of the evening, virtually no wind. it was beautiful and the lake was generally flat calm. not another angler. i fished this lake a bunch in march and april also and caught some very nice bows. of course i was targeting browns, using the advice i got from tim back in the day and from his book, but i've seen nothing but bows this year. they sure like to jump. i thought i hooked and lost a heavy brown on my first trip out in march in front of the big reedy lawn on the northeast side - based on the way it fought - but after seeing nothing but bows since then, i now suspect it was just a nice rainbow that didn't jump.

temps were up around 64-65 last night. last time i was there was right after stocking and they were around 54-55. last night i caught mostly recently stocked fish which were a range of sizes from around 10" to around 13", with most around 11-12". couple of baby lmb too, in tight to the south shore. you could find a pod of fish at depth and just cast-count-strip and take one after the other till the pod moved. most of them were the recent stockers, but they still fought well.

was just a really nice night to be out. fish were not too memorable but i won't forget the evening.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

dflett68

Steelhead
went last night from 7 to after dark. not very productive, fish seemed to be down. i missed a lot of strikes - i suspect the fly i was using had too much tail too far back of the hook. more baby bass tight to the shore. surface temp was 63. a guy plunking at the launch said he was catching perch to 14" on worms, and said he caught a brown friday at the launch on a hunk of perch.