U.S. drafts plan to bring grizzly bears back to Washington’s North Cascades (WAPO)

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Pretty awesome high resolution video (not mine) of two brown bears duking it out. Best watched in full screen:

That was fascinating! I watched it on my phone's too small screen but it looks like lots of hair (and hide?) getting ripped off. I wonder about wounds like that and how they heal? Coastal browns and @Brute likes bears.
IMG_1640.JPG

Crummy picture, this coastal brown was huge and a few minutes later spotted a silver and tried to catch it, meanwhile, the group I was with wanted to get by him to fish just upstream.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
What are they going to eat? Our migratory ungulate populations are pitiful.
Answering such a question would require forethought. But hey at least we're spending tons of money on it.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Although there is a statute in Washington banning the state from reintroducing grizzly bears, that law does not apply to federal agencies.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
maybe you should hear them out.
Like the Feds listened to the locals in the various meetings? The Feds are going to do whatever they want to do, as usual.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
If you are sincere about asking this question there is a contact provided "Contact: NCE Grizzly Bear Team" Before you accuse people of lacking forethought and/or spending "tons" of money maybe you should hear them out.
If a person is killed by a grizzly bear that is introduced into the North Cascades those who planned and approved the actions are guilty of manslaughter.. doing this is absolutely no different than me making booby traps on my own land and thereby killing a trespasser.

There is either a major lack of forethought or a severe lack of concern for human life and the current ecology. Which is it?

Flymph

Steelhead
Like the Feds listened to the locals in the various meetings? The Feds are going to do whatever they want to do, as usual.
If a person is killed by a grizzly bear that is introduced into the North Cascades those who planned and approved the actions are guilty of manslaughter.. doing this is absolutely no different than me making booby traps on my own land and thereby killing a trespasser.

There is either a major lack of forethought or a severe lack of concern for human life and the current ecology. Which is it?
Wouldn't an answer from NCE in your favor prove both of you points?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter

Lotta wealthy auto dealers strutting around in spite of their heinous crimes. Come on Rob you can do better than that.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
I remember this being debated around 90 or so when I lived on the west side before moving to Montana.
More people are killed by black bears, even in grizzly country. You just have to learn how to go through the woods, set up camp, etc. Lot of grizzly in the Bob, doesn’t keep people from hunting or fishing there.