Steelhead bycatch on the Deschutes

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I fish on the Deschutes with some really fishy guys, and about every other trip they'll pull in a steelhead while nymphing for trout. It was my turn on Saturday - beautiful day, sunny and warm, just the kind of day you want to spend in the canyon. Third cast in the first spot I stopped, and steelhead on.

It was a smolt. I managed to net upwards of a dozen smolts over the course of the day, what looked like both salmon and steelhead juveniles. I quickly moved on to faster, ledgy and pocket water to avoid them, and put some nice redsides and a beast of a whitefish in the net while reducing smoltiness. But it's that time of year, and they are everywhere.

While we're on the topic of legless creatures, the snakes were out and about. On the other end of the leg spectrum, so were the ticks. So, beware if those aren't your favorite things.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I fish on the Deschutes with some really fishy guys, and about every other trip they'll pull in a steelhead while nymphing for trout. It was my turn on Saturday - beautiful day, sunny and warm, just the kind of day you want to spend in the canyon. Third cast in the first spot I stopped, and steelhead on.

It was a smolt. I managed to net upwards of a dozen smolts over the course of the day, what looked like both salmon and steelhead juveniles. I quickly moved on to faster, ledgy and pocket water to avoid them, and put some nice redsides and a beast of a whitefish in the net while reducing smoltiness. But it's that time of year, and they are everywhere.

While we're on the topic of legless creatures, the snakes were out and about. On the other end of the leg spectrum, so were the ticks. So, beware if those aren't your favorite things.
I'd like to meet one of these "fishy" fellas....I could use some help. Legless, eh? That woulda been a fun snake hunting hike if I woulda gone.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'd like to meet one of these "fishy" fellas....I could use some help. Legless, eh? That woulda been a fun snake hunting hike if I woulda gone.
A nice racer, and something else I couldn’t identify-maybe a well fed gopher snake. I’m just pleased I didn’t jump ten feet in the air

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Did you you make reference to the “wildlife” you encountered?
JMC did the same.
Whatever. I’m here to talk about fishing, not (rudeness deleted) urban homelessness.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
A nice racer, and something else I couldn’t identify-maybe a well fed gopher snake. I’m just pleased I didn’t jump ten feet in the air

We went on a hike in the gorge (well, just east) on Friday and passed at least six snakes.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Great fishing report, Phil!

Next time I want some snake pics....maybe some macro tick pics!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I've found that if I don't bother the rattlesnakes, they don't bother me. It's their home so I give them a wide berth. Dogs are bitten more frequently on The D than humans. Keep that in mind if you're considering taking your dog with you to The D.

Ticks, on the other hand, I hate with a passion and will spray myself head to toe with insect repellent in an attempt to keep them from jumping on me and deciding to stay attached. Usually it works. Ticks .... hate's em.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Are all the members of this forum whiffing on the "ticks, snakes and homeless, not worth the trouble" bit? For shame yall, for shame. Theres tweakers there, the parking lots are littered with the detritus of catalytic converter-ectomys and needles!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I've found that if I don't bother the rattlesnakes, they don't bother me. It's their home so I give them a wide berth. Dogs are bitten more frequently on The D than humans. Keep that in mind if you're considering taking your dog with you to The D.

Ticks, on the other hand, I hate with a passion and will spray myself head to toe with insect repellent in an attempt to keep them from jumping on me and deciding to stay attached. Usually it works. Ticks .... hate's em.
I used to live in Arizona, and the diamondbacks could be dramatically defensive. Usually just after I put my foot down right next to them. The northern pacifics we have here just give a little twitch while they slither off.

I’m with you on the ticks.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Seriously, what does this have to do with trout fishing on the Deschutes...or was this just a drive-by troll post (that's the direction I'm leaning).
In all honesty, the “subject” gets interjected into many fishing reports on this site; although, it seems to be from many Washington fishing reports. I don’t think Oregon is immune… and I know the little blue line (homewaters) I fish is definitely not immune to the urban influences.

Are all the members of this forum whiffing on the "ticks, snakes and homeless, not worth the trouble" bit? For shame yall, for shame. Theres tweakers there, the parking lots are littered with the detritus of catalytic converter-ectomys and needles!
There's someone who gets it, men, yeesh!😎