Bizarre Elongated Fins on Rainbow Trout

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Check out this post. Those fins almost resemble those of an arctic grayling! I wonder if the mutation that produced these is what eventually created arctic grayling. I also wonder if one day in the distant future this mutation will be more prevalent

Smalma

Life of the Party
The fish had spend considerable time in a hatchery (some sort of jumbo or brood fish) also had grown significantly once released in the wild. Look closely at the tail or anal fin rays. Those "wavy" fin rays near the outer edge of the tail mark the edge where the tail had been deformed and eroded. The length of the fin rays past those wave marks indicates the growth the fish underwent after the fish was released that uneven growth of those fin rays is pretty typically of what is seen with the growth of fish with hatchery induced severely deformed fin. The growth of those deformed fins can be uneven resulting in the ragged appearance of the fish's tail fin.

Curt

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The fish had spend considerable time in a hatchery (some sort of jumbo or brood fish) also had grown significantly once released in the wild. Look closely at the tail or anal fin rays. Those "wavy" fin rays near the outer edge of the tail mark the edge where the tail had been deformed and eroded. The length of the fin rays past those wave marks indicates the growth the fish underwent after the fish was released that uneven growth of those fin rays is pretty typically of what is seen with the growth of fish with hatchery induced severely deformed fin. The growth of those deformed fins can be uneven resulting in the ragged appearance of the fish's tail fin.

Curt
I don’t know, if you watch the video and get a look at the dorsal, pectoral, and ventral fins, they look awfully atypical to me.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t know, if you watch the video and get a look at the dorsal, pectoral, and ventral fins, they look awfully atypical to me.
I read somewhere that this is a rare recessive allele but I do have to concur with @Smalma that every example of fantailing I see is accompanied with severe fin damage

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I read somewhere that this is a rare recessive allele but I do have to concur with @Smalma that every example of fantailing I see is accompanied with severe fin damage
Fantailing is one thing. Pectoral fins on a rainbow that look like fancy goldfish fins are a whole ‘nother thing.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fantailing is one thing. Pectoral fins on a rainbow that look like fancy goldfish fins are a whole ‘nother thing.
I kinda wanna invest in a 500 gallon chilled tank with current just to keep that sucker. If I find a genie my 3 wishes will be 1) Catch one. 2) Catch another. 3) successfully breed a population of Fancy Rainbows to sell at exuberant prices

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I kinda wanna invest in a 500 gallon chilled tank with current just to keep that sucker. If I find a genie my 3 wishes will be 1) Catch one. 2) Catch another. 3) successfully breed a population of Fancy Rainbows to sell at exuberant prices
If you find a genie, please consult me before deciding on your wishes. I can help get you a settlement NOW!