Red Truck Diesel Spey question

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well I went to the F3T showing last night at the Blue Mouse in Tacoma sponsored by the Gig Harbor Fly Shop and the Steelhead Coalition. Thanks to everyone that helped in making it a great event. So if archery, muzzleloading, and fly fishing aren't enough of my sicknesses I've wanted to try my hand with a steelhead rod before I leave this state although I know I may be a little late. I won a Red Truck Diesel 13'6" spey rod in the silence auction and picked it up today. Now I need to learn how to use this thing but first off I need to outfit it with a reel.

I was looking at the Sage Spey II 6/7/8 but open to any suggestions others may have.

Divad

Whitefish
10.5oz for the 678 Spey II. I’d want the reel to be anywhere from 8.5-11oz.

If it were me I’d buy a classic Hardy off eBay for $200, they hold their value if you ever do plan on selling it. Like a salmon 1. Plus they are wonderful reels, made in England, and full frame. And if you want to spend more, buy a new Hardy Marquis LWT Salmon for $400. Which is still somehow cheaper than a Chinese(?) Sage 2…can’t find where they’re made so I suspect China.

@DanielOcean has one of the Leland reels, how do you like it compared to your new Hardy Dan?

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Divad Ok looking at Hardy reels online now. Question reference the Marquis LWT Salmon, for this rod (7 wt), I'm assuming from what I've read I need to upsize for a spey rod so I'd be looking at the Salmon 1 (for a 9/10 wt) ?

Divad

Whitefish
I have a Duchess 4” at 7.7oz and it’s great for a 12.5-13ft rod. Hardy Marquis LWT salmon 1 is 8.1oz, salmon 2 is 9.3. You’d be okay with either.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I can't really recommend the Leland at full price. I got one cause there was a rare sale. I think I paid 165.00 after sale codes. It's no hardy. However hardy is expensive and not necessary. I call them luxury reels.