Panama

So…my wife grew up in the Canal Zone from 1964 to 1976…her dad was a canal pilot and later the harbor master. Her childhood friend , who was born in the Canal Zone, decided to bring her mother’s ashes back to Panama to rest with her father that was buried there. Initially, this was supposed to be a “ladies only” trip with all the friends that grew up there…but by the time the trip was formed, several of them had dropped out, leaving only my wife, her friend and her daughter. This is when they asked me to accompany them…after some thought, I agreed to go…but I was going to bring a couple fly rods with me.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 109376
Some local fisherman coming by to ask if we want some fresh fish…I hope this counts, otherwise please delete the post
Delete the thread because IFsteve thinks this is inappropriate in a fishin forum? Hit the ignore button. I love the post and how you've worked your way through Panama and are now fishing. I've wanted to transit the Canal and haven't done so. Amazing pics - keep them coming. WELL DONE!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Delete the thread because IFsteve thinks this is inappropriate in a fishin forum? Hit the ignore button. I love the post and how you've worked your way through Panama and are now fishing. I've wanted to transit the Canal and haven't done so. Amazing pics - keep them coming. WELL DONE!
Ok…I was holding back on pics of a canal transit at Mira Flores lock and local Guna indigenous craftsmanship…but it will have to wait since I need to finish my beer, then jump into the inflatable to head to some shallows to see if there are any robalo or bones…that away…IMG_4180.jpeg

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Could have sworn this was a fishing forum?? No problem with posting a "travel" trip but you could have said in the title not fishing related.
Could have sworn the thread was posted in "Trip Reports" says nothing about "Fishing" trip reports.

Please carry on sir @Brute, great post!! ... And more food pics please.

Cheers

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Excellent TR @Brute... keep (all) the pics coming!

Excellent! Love the photos and historical context. Sounds like a great trip.
One possible correction on the wildlife ID. I don’t think capybara make it into Panama, but tapirs do, and your photo looks more like a tapir, too.

Reactions: Zak

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Excellent! Love the photos and historical context. Sounds like a great trip.
One possible correction on the wildlife ID. I don’t think capybara make it into Panama, but tapirs do, and your photo looks more like a tapir, too.
You may be correct…my wife called it that…I didn’t get a good look at its head (it was a bit skittish), but it didn’t seem to have a rounded nose

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_4082.jpegIMG_4083.jpegIMG_4095.jpegThe main reason we came to Panama…my wife’s friend’s father passed away in 1964 and was buried here…now her mother is with him…