Fish handling

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Public service announcement:
It is not legal to bring a caught Steelhead into your boat while you take pictures or row to shore for pictures. If we can't do it right, and police ourselves without being told to shut up and fuck off, then it won't be long before we'll be unable to do it at all. People are watching. People with the authority to shut it all down are watching.

You know who you are, or you know who they are. Get the word out.

Divad

Whitefish
Saw a guy with a bunch of wild fish caught out of Oregon and California last week. All his pictures were fish dry as heck, out of water and likely for way too long. This sort of thing really pisses me off, even moreso when a guide is present.

I’d be completely okay with a required lesson/test to receive a license. So many folks have no idea how to handle fish correctly, old and young.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In California, as in Washington I believe it’s illegal to lift a wild fish out of the water. Be nice to see violations get a fat fine.

Skunk Ape

Smolt
Working unfortunately but this post caught my eye. Last week I finished working a run and was putting stuff away in my truck and calling it a day. Two guys were parked near me and the one with fly gear headed down the path to get some fish on. I told him there were fish moving through and that I had caught two very nice specimens myself swinging a big pattern. The other guy and I watched as a clack came through the very run, low holed the guy who just got down there, and proceeded to hook up. Never heard someone scream and shout so much about catching a fish, much less a steelhead, but I guess that’s what guides do now to draw attention and make a spectacle of things. Guy in a boat, who had motored up from below, was fishing opposite bank was watching these guys. They finally net the fish and stop at the bottom of the run. That’s when the guy from the opposite bank starts yelling at them to put the fish back in the water. Grip and grin photos being done wrong. Cursing comes from the guide boat saying that the fish never left the water but I’d believe the guy on the opposite bank because I’ve seen him out there a lot. Guy finally yells that he has their boat number and will report them and then soon after clack is gone.
First off, guide or not, everyone should know the rules about C&R fishing wild steelhead in WA. Shouldn’t leave the water. Secondly, there will always be those who don’t give a shit about the rules and do what they want. Thirdly, this is why fishing has become so chaotic. Everyone wants it to be some big event and high drama on the water.
I fish for the time off work and to decompress. If I catch a fish it’s a bonus that I never expect, especially steelhead fishing. I’m not out there to make a spectacle of myself and draw any attention by running up and down the bank or screaming from my boat that I caught a fish but nowadays it seems the norm. Completely unnecessary and kudos to the guy on the opposite bank for calling those guys out for the stupid shit they were doing.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Sadly, this seems to be the norm. If you don't like the law/rule, just do what you want and tell the govt and everyone else to F*** Off.

I first though that keeping a fish in the water was overkill, but after watching enough steelhead dragged into boats before being pulled out of the net for grip and grins I think it's probably a good thing.

None of it makes any difference if folks continually disregard the regs. For an eye opener, try reviewing a sampling of what WDFW enforcement finds when they check anglers on the river. Retained wild steelhead, using bait, barbs, etc etc. Taking a fish out of the water is noticable but just one of the many violations happening on a river near you.

Superfishial

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Working unfortunately but this post caught my eye. Last week I finished working a run and was putting stuff away in my truck and calling it a day. Two guys were parked near me and the one with fly gear headed down the path to get some fish on. I told him there were fish moving through and that I had caught two very nice specimens myself swinging a big pattern. The other guy and I watched as a clack came through the very run, low holed the guy who just got down there, and proceeded to hook up. Never heard someone scream and shout so much about catching a fish, much less a steelhead, but I guess that’s what guides do now to draw attention and make a spectacle of things. Guy in a boat, who had motored up from below, was fishing opposite bank was watching these guys. They finally net the fish and stop at the bottom of the run. That’s when the guy from the opposite bank starts yelling at them to put the fish back in the water. Grip and grin photos being done wrong. Cursing comes from the guide boat saying that the fish never left the water but I’d believe the guy on the opposite bank because I’ve seen him out there a lot. Guy finally yells that he has their boat number and will report them and then soon after clack is gone.
First off, guide or not, everyone should know the rules about C&R fishing wild steelhead in WA. Shouldn’t leave the water. Secondly, there will always be those who don’t give a shit about the rules and do what they want. Thirdly, this is why fishing has become so chaotic. Everyone wants it to be some big event and high drama on the water.
I fish for the time off work and to decompress. If I catch a fish it’s a bonus that I never expect, especially steelhead fishing. I’m not out there to make a spectacle of myself and draw any attention by running up and down the bank or screaming from my boat that I caught a fish but nowadays it seems the norm. Completely unnecessary and kudos to the guy on the opposite bank for calling those guys out for the stupid shit they were doing.
Big new blue gray Clack?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I am 100% for telling the government to f off. We don't need every single aspect of our lives including how to catch and release fish under legal scrutiny. Catch and release regulations are not intended to save every fish. They are intended to reduce our impacts and that is all. If I have to remove a fish from the water to put it in a better position to release it I am going to and I'd expect EVERY member of this forum to approve of my actions. I've been successfully handling these fish for 45 years and I don't need the government or other angler groups telling me how to do it.
Yes, there are jackasses out there mishandling fish... They are however doing far less damage to our sport than the Holier-than-though types who think every good idea should be a law..

Ok that was a bit harsher than I intended I suppose, but if it gets anyone's attention, just think about it for a few.. steelhead fishing is already governed by too many draconian totalitarian rules. If it's that important just shut down steelheading altogether.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Man, they don't have any excuses either. Even if they're floating...net the thing, keep it in the water, get the boat in ankle deep water (sounds like it already was), get yer ass out of the boat, lift fish for 5 secs with belly still touching water (head in the water is even better!) while buddy or guide takes the shot and then release it. It's not that hard to be both legal and ethical.

And any guide worth his salt doesn't need a pic of himself with the fish either.

@_WW_ is completely right. People are watching. Authorities are watching. I'm sure this is one of the aspects discussed by fish management regarding steelhead fishing from the boat.

Superfishial

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Think so. I was a distance away but that coloration seems right.
Sounds like you all had an Eamon Hoffman encounter. Fairly new young guide who is quickly developing a bad reputation on the river for pulling shit like this and yelling at anglers. Just the other day I watched him net a fish from the boat and row down the river quite a ways to anchor then heave the fish out of the water over his boat carrying it further down the bank in the net for a client photo. This “professional” WSGA dumbass is not learning very quickly so report him if you see any of his antics. WN2942ZG 877-933-9847
IMG_0058.png

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
The young guides are the worst. The Clacka mentioned above has anchored two rod lengths from me to fish the boulder I was fishing. They caught a steelhead netted it and brought it into the boat and then traversed the entire river for pics. Another dozen boats came through after that and all of them gave me plenty of space.

A steel bro from CO is claiming a 30 pounder. That tells you how dumb it is out there.

Skunk Ape

Smolt
30 lbs, that’s a huge steelhead. My buddy got one last year that measured 41” or so from a rod measurement and by statistical data it probably only came out to about 22-23lbs. Biggest one my friends have ever seen. If that’s the case on the 30lb one and someone had to glorify it on social media it will become a circus coming into this weekend. I have visions of the first Jaws movie when all the yahoos are out trying to collect the cash reward for killing the shark. Dynamite and grappling hooks will become common place in certain boats😂.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like you all had an Eamon Hoffman encounter. Fairly new young guide who is quickly developing a bad reputation on the river for pulling shit like this and yelling at anglers. Just the other day I watched him net a fish from the boat and row down the river quite a ways to anchor then heave the fish out of the water over his boat carrying it further down the bank in the net for a client photo. This “professional” WSGA dumbass is not learning very quickly so report him if you see any of his antics. WN2942ZG 877-933-9847
View attachment 108255

Could someone remind me again why guiding is a thing and equals conservation to so many? Here we have a fishery that is essentially in the tank. Why do we need a bunch of ego bound rejects side drifting the piss out of every river every day. The guide association is a joke. Guiding on wild steelhead with side drifting gear is a joke. I know plenty of decent people who are guides but the profession tends to draw out some of the most ego driven social media addicted idiots the world has to offer. If I were king I would make guiding for wild steelhead a thing of the past. Wanna catch one? Cool, go fishing and learn the deal.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
View attachment 108255
I was looking at those pictures, and then looked up some others, and then looked at some of mine. In damn near every one of them where you can see the anglers face, he looks like a moron. Me included. Some of the best pictures I have were cropped to get my ugly mug out of the shot.

Not to brag, but I have caught a lot of fish. I don't need a picture to remind me what they look like. Other than some bizarre injury to them I have seen every flavor of steelhead there probably is. An 8# with no lower jaw for what was obviously it's whole life. Fish with claw marks, fish with prop marks, fish with net marks, one eyed fish, dark fish, bright fish, dead fish, live fish, big fish, little fish, fish with somebody else's hook in 'em, fish with fish in 'em. And honestly, it's all the same fish, different day.

I don't think I have ever let out a bunch of high pitched squealing while catching a fish...but my memory gets a little fuzzy of the time before kindergarten so I suppose it's possible that I have squeaked a time or two.

But none of the above matters. What matters is, obey the law and keep the fish in the water. Be a decent human being and limit your handling of the fish.

I was at a well known spot on Sunday and watched three different boats on the other side hook fish. All three of them netted and boated the fish. So...in that small sample size I witnessed 100% dumb fuckery. Get the word out! Dumb fuckery will have us sitting at home in March and April.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I was bank fishing the Sauk about a month ago when a raft was parked nearby and 4 guys were fishing across from me. I hooked up and my fish jumped a couple times and those guys were hooting and hollering for me. I didn't make a sound. When I got the fish near the bank downstream it was a sand pile, so I waded out and tried to tail the fish in deeper water and it came unbuttoned when I put some slack in the line to get it. When I walked back upriver to my spot those guys were looking at my shrugging like, “major bummer!” I honestly couldn’t care less. I just like hooking up these days. Losing a fish isn’t a big deal. This isn’t a brag, its just that I think all these steel bros don't realize they are outing themselves as noobs. At some point just feedback from steelhead is awesome. Seeing a chromer jump and spit the hook is great. I guess I would be upset if i lost my biggest ever.

My mentor and long time fisherman of the Skagit system is fishing hooks about as strong as a paper clip this season. He gets a jump or a run and then pulls and it bends out. I am not there yet, but I am fishing tiny circle hooks this year wherever I can to great success. I lost one Sunday on them but so far minimal damage to fish and they hold as good as anything.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I dunno, seems like steelheading in general seems to bring out the worst in people. I'm not really sure why that is. Shit, I've been steelheading 5 times this winter and hooked fish nearly every trip (only 2 fish to hand)...one may have been a cutty, but it felt heavier....guess we'll never know. 🤷‍♂️

Point being, I feel like I had a helluva season. No complaints on my end....except for me getting buck fever on a 100% visual eat....but still, whatever...

I don't feel like I get that attitude from bass or musky guys...but, maybe it's just me...🤷‍♂️

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Well. There might be at least one out there ;)
Well, at least fish handling seems to be on point with that one but all the other attitude we like to complain about also seems on point.