REMINDER TO GET APPROPRIATE FISHING LICENSES & PARKING PASSES!

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
For the second year in a row, buying my license online. I click all the appropriate boxes, go to check out, and I get a message like, "unable to process your payment at this time". When I go back to check out again, I can't get a steelhead tag. So I have to go to a license retailer, and after a bit of back and forth, I can get them to issue me a steelhead tag. I buy licenses from many states each year, and there always seems to be something with WDFW, that is always effed up.

Reactions: JS

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No kidding, plus a briefcase to hold everything. Discovery pass, national forest pass, national parks, snowpark pass, ID snow pass, Mt. Spokane pass,

Outdoor recreation is sure expensive in the new world when you're rocking an old soul and truck. I legitimately and honestly feel sorry for lower income families that have been essentially priced out of quality pastime. That really sucks.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For the second year in a row, buying my license online. I click all the appropriate boxes, go to check out, and I get a message like, "unable to process your payment at this time". When I go back to check out again, I can't get a steelhead tag. So I have to go to a license retailer, and after a bit of back and forth, I can get them to issue me a steelhead tag. I buy licenses from many states each year, and there always seems to be something with WDFW, that is always effed up.

This state is so ineffective that they can't even take your money effectively. Rule one of business, make it easy for people to give you money. Too bad Travers main amendment didn't go through.

johnnyboy

Steelhead
I just buy my combo license and punch cards every year. Have never bought a discover pass since it was introduced a few years ago.

I usually just hang up my yellow WDFW access pass that comes with my license and call it good if I need to park at a place like a state park that requires a discover pass. Have never got in trouble yet.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I just buy my combo license and punch cards every year. Have never bought a discover pass since it was introduced a few years ago.

I usually just hang up my yellow WDFW access pass that comes with my license and call it good if I need to park at a place like a state park that requires a discover pass. Have never got in trouble yet.
"yet" - there's the key word. Despite 1.4 miles of a nasty, rough, sink holed road into the Great Cataract Lake, Ranger Bob will be down lakeside checking to make sure your Discover Pass is still current, that your license plate numbers are writen on it in indelible ink and (and) that the license plate numbers written (in indelible ink) match the plate numbers on your vehicle. Hanging your DFW Access Pass will not pass muster with Ranger Bob. Ranger Bob, in his brown polyester (leisure suit) one piece uniform carries a badge and a ticket book. Bad, Bad Ranger Bob. He's got your number.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I believe it was @Irafly that pointed out on the old forum that the Discover Pass doesn’t expire one year from the date of purchase, rather it expires in the month you purchased it.
So if you need a new Discover Pass, buy it on April 1st and it will be good thru April of 2025. So valid for 13 months.
I’ll buy a new one on August 1st when mine expires in July.
SF

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Take out a loan and buy everything to be safe. All passes and endorsements. Then get a lawyer on retainer to interpret the regs and emergency updates. Easy peasy lemon squeasy, your ready to fish for the year.
Yeah moving here was a big switch from it either is, or is not trout season!

RCF

Life of the Party
I am so happy that I fish in ID and MT mostly except for one local lake. At my age simplier is better. The BS of so many license options and access requirements is mind boggling.

I want to worry about which fly to select and not about if I am going to get a ticket.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Outdoor recreation is sure expensive in the new world when you're rocking an old soul and truck. I legitimately and honestly feel sorry for lower income families that have been essentially priced out of quality pastime. That really sucks.

My pops was a photographer, so growing up in the central CA valley we spent a ton of time in Yosemite. We would just jump in the van on Friday and drive up and grab a first come first served site in the upper valley. We would eat at the Ahwahnee hotel by waiting in line for cancelations.

I'd love to show it to my kiddo. Although I could afford it, I can't even begin to understand the logistics of getting a camp site, let alone eating on the valley floor. Just insane....

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
"yet" - there's the key word. Despite 1.4 miles of a nasty, rough, sink holed road into the Great Cataract Lake, Ranger Bob will be down lakeside checking to make sure your Discover Pass is still current, that your license plate numbers are writen on it in indelible ink and (and) that the license plate numbers written (in indelible ink) match the plate numbers on your vehicle. Hanging your DFW Access Pass will not pass muster with Ranger Bob. Ranger Bob, in his brown polyester (leisure suit) one piece uniform carries a badge and a ticket book. Bad, Bad Ranger Bob. He's got your number.
screw that guy

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My pops was a photographer, so growing up in the central CA valley we spent a ton of time in Yosemite. We would just jump in the van on Friday and drive up and grab a first come first served site in the upper valley. We would eat at the Ahwahnee hotel by waiting in line for cancelations.

I'd love to show it to my kiddo. Although I could afford it, I can't even begin to understand the logistics of getting a camp site, let alone eating on the valley floor. Just insane....

I thought years ago that the proliferation of the internet would lead to a couch bound cyberhunan population experiencing the world vicariously like some perverted version of Wall E. I figured things would lessen in pressure as cyberhumans assumed their hot pocket foraging obese final form indoors.

Boy was I wrong. Instead Facebook and Instagram first wrecked fishing with their ego blind fish and tell idiots having bigger platform than the boat launch or bar. Then hiking was next as the enchantments were overrun like a scene from Starship Troopers. Then mountain biking became contentious and crowded. My retreat to the sea which was already ruined was now infested with Facebook group Seattle Surfers. They multiplied and grew in numbers so great it was futile fighting them or the myriad masks and garbage littering the beaches. Even the loneliest river gorges were now populated with YouTube digital guide book watching fresh kayakers in rising numbers along with a rising fatality rate.

I think it's awesome people are getting outside. It's the best place to be. I definitely see the overuse of the scarce wilderness resource a problem though. People are hard on cool places and stupid people doubly hard on them. The pandemic drove people outside even more. The infrastructure of outdoor recreation is taxed heavily. It's sad to see some places reduced to essentially a carnival ride for a selfie and a couple remarks before moving onto the next vanlife adventure.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I dunno if 'Ranger Bob' is an archetype or an actual individual, but in a long lifetime of outdoor activities I've yet to come across an outdoor recreation enforcement officer (and I've encountered quite a few while afield) that was anything less than professional and courteous. I suppose there are exceptions, just as in any occupation, but I'm convinced that's not their standard mode of operation.

While I certainly wish there was a more integrated approach to access permits and licensing, I'm extremely glad that enforcement is conducted, and would be happy to see even more enforcement be allocated to the protection of resources that would be rapidly plundered and poached if some sort of 'law of the commons' did not exist.

Mankind, in aggregate, has conclusively demonstrated that it's completely incapable of policing its own behavior.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Hopefully WA goes to electronic license and catch cards soon. That would make things easier.
Not sure how you’d do that though with the other passes that are required for various lands and facilities.
I got one ticket for failure to display my DP. I got it knocked down from $99 to $25 by providing proof to the county that I indeed had one and had just forgotten to display it.

As far as interaction with officers, I’ve only had one bad one and that was probably 45 years ago. Myself and friends actually had multiple interactions with him as he seemed to frequent the steelhead streams we fished back then. The guy was a downright prick.
Other than that, all the officers I’ve had encounters with have been very cordial.
SF

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I dunno if 'Ranger Bob' is an archetype or an actual individual, but in a long lifetime of outdoor activities I've yet to come across an outdoor recreation enforcement officer (and I've encountered quite a few while afield) that was anything less than professional and courteous. I suppose there are exceptions, just as in any occupation, but I'm convinced that's not their standard mode of operation.

While I certainly wish there was a more integrated approach to access permits and licensing, I'm extremely glad that enforcement is conducted, and would be happy to see even more enforcement be allocated to the protection of resources that would be rapidly plundered and poached if some sort of 'law of the commons' did not exist.

Mankind, in aggregate, has conclusively demonstrated that it's completely incapable of policing its own behavior.

I should introduce you to a couple ONP rangers. I pray they are no longer there. One a failed law student was an absolute cull of a human. Ultimate short boy complex.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I should introduce you to a couple ONP rangers. I pray they are no longer there. One a failed law student was an absolute cull of a human. Ultimate short boy complex.
At 6'2" I've always supported a minimum height employment requirement of 6' for men. 😀

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Hopefully WA goes to electronic license and catch cards soon. That would make things easier.
Not sure how you’d do that though with the other passes that are required for various lands and facilities.
I got one ticket for failure to display my DP. I got it knocked down from $99 to $25 by providing proof to the county that I indeed had one and had just forgotten to display it.

As far as interaction with officers, I’ve only had one bad one and that was probably 45 years ago. Myself and friends actually had multiple interactions with him as he seemed to frequent the steelhead streams we fished back then. The guy was a downright prick.
Other than that, all the officers I’ve had encounters with have been very cordial.
SF
All hearsay, but there was a post on one of the Puget Sound fishing FB pages from a WDFW employee last week that said electronic catch cards and licenses are coming later this year. Fingers crossed!