Scenic central WA fishing 3/16/2024

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
20240316_165712 p.jpg

This central WA lake has to be one of the most scenic fly fishing venues, especially when the water is calm like this. Since the March 1st opener, the reports I've received for this lake have been mostly dismal, maybe due to the cold water temperatures and lack of any hatches? With the sunshine and warming temperatures, I thought I'd give it a try to see what I could find there. The water temperature had warmed up to the 46 to 48 degree range with about 13' of visibility. Fishing wasn't easy, but fish were found here and there. I was casting and stripping a SBH Dark Olive Simi Seal Leech, but I don't think the particular fly pattern mattered that much. I think it was much more important to get the depth right.

Fish Size Distribution 2024-03-16.jpg

All the fish were measured with my Measure Net from the tip of the nose to the fork in the tail.

The rainbows were all silvery, chunky and good fighters. Here's the nicest-looking fish of the day:

IMGP5984.JPG

There were at least a dozen other fly casters out there (almost all indicator fishermen), so maybe some of them will provide their reports. I don't usually go fishing on a weekend, but due to road construction, it was better to go on the weekend when the road construction workers were not working.

Rex