What's in your vise?

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
God damn Zak.
Now another gadget I’ll need to buy! 😂
Thanks for the explanation as I was wondering the purpose of those and how they worked.
I can see that being extremely helpful when doing loops.
SF

Why spend $6 on a little piece of foam from Hareline when you can spend 10 times more on a nifty set of plastic spring loaded clips that do the same thing.

Sheese, this IS fly tying after all.....c'mon guys ;)

go ahead...ask me how I know 😔

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
You hold a feather (cdc in this fly) by each end and force the quill of the feather into the appropriately sized slot. Doing so pushes the fibers on both sides of the quill straight up. Then you grasp the fibers with a clip, pull the feather from the foam slot, and trim off the quill with scissors. You are left with a bunch of spread out aligned fibers that can be inserted into a split thread or dubbing loop. Essentially, it lets you use both sides of the feather instead of putting the clip on one side of the feather at a time.
Holy crap that is a slick idea, thanks.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Why spend $6 on a little piece of foam from Hareline when you can spend 10 times more on a nifty set of plastic spring loaded clips that do the same thing.

Ha!!!
I know as well 👽
Does work well plus you can see through it

Reactions: M_D

Zak

Legend

I feel the same way about my $45 metal cdc clip!

Zoran

Steelhead
I love my Swiss CDC clamp.
They sent me one as a present. I posted few CDC flies once on Instagram using their CDC and they loved it. Someone from company posted comments and later they asked my friend (who is SWISS CDC tier in Europe) for my shipping address.
One day I got it in mail. I wish they sent me MINUS size, but I am not complaining. My other clamps are from AliExpress (same as those plastic for 75$). I paid 5$ maybe. Or little more. It is great tool but (TBH) I will rather buy some materials than pay $45USD for clamp.

I would pay 25$.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
I love my Swiss CDC clamp.
They sent me one as a present. I posted few CDC flies once on Instagram using their CDC and they loved it. Someone from company posted comments and later they asked my friend (who is SWISS CDC tier in Europe) for my shipping address.
One day I got it in mail. I wish they sent me MINUS size, but I am not complaining. My other clamps are from AliExpress (same as those plastic for 75$). I paid 5$ maybe. Or little more. It is great tool but (TBH) I will rather buy some materials than pay $45USD for clamp.

I would pay 25$.
It is a nice tool and I like using it. I just feel a little sheepish about how much I spent on it.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
$57 for that magnetic clip set? damn.

I invested all of $1 (or whatever the actual cost at the Dollar Tree is nowadays) for a dozen of these.
PXL_20240224_004410890.MP~2.jpg

Another favorite are the reverse tying tools for bucktail at ~$35 a pop....my empty bic pen works amazingly well.

edit: I stand corrected!
1708735871097.png