What's in your vise?

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Really diggin' the look of that moose. I'll be curious how it holds up as all of the moose mane I've used hasn't really held up all that well....could have been that batch or it could have been the material or.... 🤷‍♂️
It ain't holding up, haha. Hoping for 2 or 3 fish from it, maybe.
I used a little bit much, so couldn't get a great thread head to finish off the fly. And despite the heavy resin covering it, it doesn't scream durability.

I'm going to toy with it a little more. I also like the look of it. But I agree with you, seems fragile.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It ain't holding up, haha. Hoping for 2 or 3 fish from it, maybe.
I used a little bit much, so couldn't get a great thread head to finish off the fly. And despite the heavy resin covering it, it doesn't scream durability.

I'm going to toy with it a little more. I also like the look of it. But I agree with you, seems fragile.
Have you tried coating it with cement of some sorts? Then again, that may take away from that "buggier" look...

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have you tried coating it with cement of some sorts? Then again, that may take away from that "buggier" look...
I haven't. The strands of the moose hair are large enough I think it'll look fairly similar.
Maybe some cement to soak in, then maybe a layer of uv over?
(Not sure of UV sticks to everything, like cement?)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A couple scruffy amphipods tied with plastic dumbbell eyes versus bead chain. I think the bead chain pattern I fished today was sinking a bit too fast.
SF

IMG_0157.jpeg

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Silvey_s_Chubby_Sally_1080-down.jpg

Silvey's Chubby Sally

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That is a very nicely tied and versatile fly! I believe it evolved from Fran Betters Haystack and Usual flies.

On my comparisons, I spread the wing out 180 degrees, so some horizontal hair sits on the surface tension of the water.
Thank you for the advice.
This one I got a little better spread on the deer this morning.
Struggling on whip finish. Thinking about doing it behind the wing, after I finish dubbing.

20240218_081108.jpg20240218_081137.jpg

Zak

Legend
Thank you for the advice.
This one I got a little better spread on the deer this morning.
Struggling on whip finish. Thinking about doing it behind the wing, after I finish dubbing.

View attachment 103902View attachment 103903
Nice wing!

Is the issue that the final turns of thread slip forward over the eye? One thing that helps me is starting my thread on the bare hook 2 or 3 millimeters behind the eye. Then, never let any thread or material get closer to the eye than that first thread wrap. When all the materials are tied in, I whip finish in that 2-3 mm.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is that on a tube ?
No…it’s a variation of Galloup’s Belly Bumper Craw. He adds a third squirrel zonker strip on top of the body…I purposely left it off to make a slimmer profileIMG_3641.jpeg fly to cast with my 175 gr skagit head and my 10’ 9” Contact II…but after looking at it, the body seemed too thin, so I took the velcro to it. I’ll dub the body a bit thicker on the next ones, and in olive & brown.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
@ffb found this video after our last sound outing where we suspected the fish were eating worms.

So this is my first attempt at a Hover Worm. Simple tie, but unbelievably messy lol. Really looking forward to seeing how this fishes with the foam incorporated.

Colors didn't turn out quite like I envisioned in my head but I'm confident this will catch fish. Also might be a bit over dressed. Gonna sparse it up a touch for the next one.

Gonna try some different colors next. I only mixed up enough marabou and flash to do about 27 dozen of this color lol

1000002890-02.jpeg1000002895-01.jpeg