What's in your vise?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Thank you all. I think one issue is these feathers were too large for what I needed. They over power the squirrel wrap i already had.
Had a small dubbing bump behind, but not enough.
I pull the feathers downward from the tip before tying in, and try to preen. Obviously I still need practice.
I'll try to comb, something I never do really.

Appreciate all your insight. Very kind.
Simple solution. Before tying in pull downward on the fibers and then moisten you fingers and roll small sections of it between thumb and finger. This disfigures the barbules some so they won't stick together as much. You could probably fix that fly right now.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What are some good clouser colors for smallies? Never used but I want to try some
Thanks in advance
Chart over white. Olive over white. Gray over white are my favorites. Olive over yellow and chart over yellow I like for prespawn. Be careful to not overdress them. Medium amount of hair seems to work well

I also make some with craft fur that swim pretty nice too.

Zoran

Steelhead
IMG-6376.jpg

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
personal reasons i wont discuss here

oh and i fuck up most things i tie 🤪
I've really enjoyed looking at your ties. Your work is superb and I've shared some of them with fishing buddies to show what good tying is like. I hope at sometime you will resume showing them.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I’ve got a bunch of these tied, but for some reason haven’t used them. They’re so fishy
I really like a pheasant tail body rather than a dubbing body for these. They’re such a great emerger pattern! I think I tied the elk a little long here but this will fish

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
What's that body made out of? I like it
Thanks! The stuff is called pearl core braid, the type I’m using is the root beer color from hareline. I just use a lighter and gently singe the tip and pinch it down and it makes a nice taper

Reactions: Zak