What's in your vise?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
On kind of a marine worm kick after this weekends success.
This one is all marabou. I’m trying to get them thin with good movement.
I added up flex to the base of the tail to eliminate fouling. 2.5” long.
SF

IMG_0146.jpeg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bloody-Mary-1080.jpg

Bloody Mary

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What are some good clouser colors for smallies? Never used but I want to try some
Thanks in advance

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
What are some good clouser colors for smallies? Never used but I want to try some
Thanks in advance

Olive or brown over yellow, brown over orange or solid burnt orange.
Olive or chartreuse over white or solid white or black are always worth having in your box as well.
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Messing around with squirrel zonkers and a new hen cape. Not sure I'm a huge fan of hen compared to other birds for soft hackle. Fibers clump together.

View attachment 102366
If you put a bead behind the hackle, or make a dubbing dam, it can help keep them splayed and not clumping.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Preen and separate them as you wrap. You can also comb it out after.
Or before. I separate them by stroking, maybe even combing, while preparing the tip or thick end for tying in, depending on how I want it to end up.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thank you all. I think one issue is these feathers were too large for what I needed. They over power the squirrel wrap i already had.
Had a small dubbing bump behind, but not enough.
I pull the feathers downward from the tip before tying in, and try to preen. Obviously I still need practice.
I'll try to comb, something I never do really.

Appreciate all your insight. Very kind.

Zak

Legend
Thank you all. I think one issue is these feathers were too large for what I needed. They over power the squirrel wrap i already had.
Had a small dubbing bump behind, but not enough.
I pull the feathers downward from the tip before tying in, and try to preen. Obviously I still need practice.
I'll try to comb, something I never do really.

Appreciate all your insight. Very kind.
I like a piece of hook-side Velcro on a stick. If you attack that hen hackle with Velcro after it is tied, I bet it stops clumping together.