Depth finder for lakes

Hi
What is a good depth finder/transducer combination that will mark fish in 8 to 15 foot of water while lake fishing. I am thinking something with a wide cone angle would be helpful for marking at that depth. I am fishing from a Pram.
Thanks
Mike

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Calling @Wanative

Blackdogfishin' - Many of us have been using Humminbird 120 and 140C since they look down but have side scan sonar as well. These units are out of production - it seems Garmin Stryker 4 really fills the niche misshing since Humminbird abandoned us. Wanative (Fred) is well versed in sonar. Here's a link that answers your question, sort of, on marking fish in "shallow" water.

Good luck.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Plus one on the Stryker 4. At around 100 bucks it is one of the few bargains still available to fly fishermen.

More importantly, the powerpack you choose will be a real difference maker. The Nocqua Pro kit at $89 is a real game changer. It weighs less than a pound, fits in a jacket pocket and runs the Stryker for over 2 days on a charge. I used 5ah AGM's for years because they were small and light and lasted a long time but the Nocqua weighs a fraction of the AGM, is much smaller and last longer.

With a pram you can afford the extra weight and size of an AGM, you can buy 4 for the price of a single Nocqua. If you go the AGM route buy 2 instead of one, you'll thank me later.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Ha, I had a DF for a while. Found it distracting. Went to a string with a sinker and markings every foot. Now I just fish, cast, count, strip. If I snag bottom I know what to count to next time.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Plus one on the Stryker 4. At around 100 bucks it is one of the few bargains still available to fly fishermen.

More importantly, the powerpack you choose will be a real difference maker. The Nocqua Pro kit at $89 is a real game changer. It weighs less than a pound, fits in a jacket pocket and runs the Stryker for over 2 days on a charge. I used 5ah AGM's for years because they were small and light and lasted a long time but the Nocqua weighs a fraction of the AGM, is much smaller and last longer.

With a pram you can afford the extra weight and size of an AGM, you can buy 4 for the price of a single Nocqua. If you go the AGM route buy 2 instead of one, you'll thank me later.
+1 for the Nocqua to power my Stryker 4. Got one this December during the holiday sales. Set it up last week (finally) and am looking forward to using it this spring.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
+1 for the Nocqua to power my Stryker 4. Got one this December during the holiday sales. Set it up last week (finally) and am looking forward to using it this spring.
It was Krusty that tipped me off to the Nocqua, he has used one on his kayaks for years.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another +1 Stryker 4 !! Have had one now for I think 4 years, and I will honestly say it has increased my catching. To be able to see the actual levels that fish are suspended at and I think even seeing when there moving up and through the column is awesome.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Another +1 Stryker 4 !! Have had one now for I think 4 years, and I will honestly say it has increased my catching. To be able to see the actual levels that fish are suspended at and I think even seeing when there moving up and through the column is awesome.
I mean hell you can see the exact moment a fish moves up and strikes:20231018_103456.jpgThe information gathered on baitfish, bottom structure and actual fish is invaluable.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that there is some resistance to depth finders. After all, some guys are still driving trucks with drum brakes. And if you are using a piece of string with a lug nut as a depth finder you probably come by that honestly. That is the exact technique that Columbus used on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria in 1492...

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that there is some resistance to depth finders. After all, some guys are still driving trucks with drum brakes. And if you are using a piece of string with a lug nut as a depth finder you probably come by that honestly. That is the exact technique that Columbus used on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria in 1492...
In addition to driving a vehicle with rear drum brakes I occasionally roll my kayak to determine lake depth with my feet.

Zak

Legend
I am resistant to depth finders and fishing electronics. I'm not really sure why. I'm sure using electronics would help me catch more fish. I went fishing with @Northern last fall and she brought a "slap-on" fish finder for me to borrow and try out with my dory. I felt a visceral revulsion to using it and declined.

I'll drop a hemostat clipped to my fly to check the depth. I guess I just like the depths of the water to remain mysterious and unknowable. Maybe it has something to do with the sentiment in Lee Wullf's quote: "Trout deserve the sanctuary of deep water." Maybe it has something to do with angling being a respite from my computer/screen-heavy work life. Maybe I'll change my tune as I start to fish chironomids under an indicator more.

Different strokes for different folks.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
I am resistant to depth finders and fishing electronics. I'm not really sure why. I'm sure using electronics would help me catch more fish. I went fishing with @Northern last fall and she brought a "slap-on" fish finder for me to borrow and try out with my dory. I felt a visceral revulsion to using it and declined.

I'll drop a hemostat clipped to my fly to check the depth. I guess I just like the depths of the water to remain mysterious and unknowable. Maybe it has something to do with the sentiment in Lee Wullf's quote: "Trout deserve the sanctuary of deep water." Maybe it has something to do with angling being a respite from my computer/screen-heavy work life. Maybe I'll change my tune as I start to fish chironomids under an indicator more.

Different strokes for different folks.
I resisted for years because I already had my kayaks cluttered up with way too much gear.

Nowadays I've reduced the other gear instead.

I've found the info on the fishfinder fascinating and learned some new things about lakes I've fished for over 60 years. The FF even comes along on non-fishing kayak trips.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
@Zak - I am in agreement with you on almost everything for much the same reasons. I do like having a bathymetric map of the lakes I fish.

Do I have a depth finder? Yes. Do I use it? Occasionally when on a new to me lake and no map is available.

"Maybe I'll change my tune as I start to fish chironomids under an indicator more." My tune is not going to change - no indicator fishing for me... LOL

Reactions: Zak