Got any bird pics?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Nice! I love a good pheasant shot. Where are these birds? Wild populations have dwindled on the west coast.
These are leftover plants in coastal WA. The birds pretty much struggle in a poorly run program that sends them out to fend for themselves as basically pellet trout in a lake after they are the last plants from the day or two before season closes. Pretty cruel. Every couple of years we might get a few survivors that try and reproduce, but the majority wither away until a natural predator mercifully gets them.

Last edited:

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These are leftover plants in coastal WA. The birds pretty much struggle in a poorly run program that sends them out to fend for themselves as basically pellet trout in a lake after they are the last plants from the day or two before season closes. Pretty cruel. Every couple of years we might get a few survivors that try and reproduce, but the majority wither away until a natural predator mercifully gets them.
Thanks - modern game farm pheasants have had all of the good survival traits bred out of them. California used to have good wild bird populations on many of its public lands. When a population needed to be reestablished or supplemented, wild birds were captured and used.

As land managers, we used to look at wild pheasant populations as surrogates for responsible land management (especially private lands). When land owners managed their property for wild pheasants, native species benefited. Unfortunately, wild ringnecks (particularly in California and Oregon) have suffered the same fate as many critters due to altered habitat, changing land use patterns, and climate change.

Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
My wife and I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and a day off by spending the afternoon strolling around Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. I've lived in Western Washington for all of my 37 years and have driven by this place maybe 1000 times, but never visited until today. That place is awesome, very pretty, lots of birds, very peaceful. We checked out some binoculars from the visitor without charge, which was cool. We had a lot of fun. We saw a handful of bald eagles, a couple hawks, LOTS of ducks and geese, several GBH, plenty of gulls and sandpipers, and lots of sparrows. Bonus points for the seals next to the boardwalk.

I want to thank all of your contributions to this thread. I haven't spent much time learning about the variety of bird species we have around here, but it was nice to recognize some birds in the field as a result of learning from you all!

1 crappy cell phone shot
IMG20240202145955.jpgIMG20240202143137.jpg

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gyrfalcon:

Do you remember when river breached the dike and a house got stuck in the breach? Yep, that dike walk was great.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
IMG_3526.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality photo; these parrots were quite noisy as I walked beneath them, they're maybe 50 feet from the Pacific Coast Highway in Redondo Beach. Last winter we rented a place a bit north of here where there were, apparently, more magnoilias. At times we would hear and then see 50 or more of these birds fly into a tree to feast. The noise was impressive!

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Gyrfalcon:

Do you remember when river breached the dike and a house got stuck in the breach? Yep, that dike walk was great.
I looked this up. In the70's? I don't remember. I know on the coast more we seemed to have high water yearly. Was the house on the east side of the river where all the large signs were or perhaps it came from upriver and snuck under the bridge?
Really miss the loop. Cannot believe it is gone. Good memories.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Skagit, from Marblemount to Fir Island. One of those days where I wished I had one of those serious lenses, most of these are huge crops
1707071164013.png1707071284500.png1707071252941.png
This guy was working about a three hundred yard stretch, repetitively, not sure if protecting territory or what, it seemed like a limited range.
1707071210385.png
1707071327505.png1707071383725.png

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I had heard the distinctive calls of this red-breasted sapsucker on a recent walk at Nisqually. But the bird was on the backside of a large big-leaf maple. And when it first popped into view, it was badly backlit. But I was patient and eventually, its exploration of the trunk brought it out into better light and I had a very good view and managed several nice pictures, including this one.
RedBreastedSapsucker9926.jpg
Steve