What's in your vise?

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
First the backstory...RichS gave me a fly as we were getting ready to fish a certain lake. It was a spun deer hair dragon fly nymph with boobie foam eyes. I believe it was the only fly I used all day with success (see below). I recently saw a Phil Rowley video tying the Gomphus, so I suppose that was RichS' inspiration. To simplify the tying process I decided to not use deer hair for the head, so I dubbed the head. Here is my first attempt. I need to beef up the legs and the head needs to be larger. Pretty sure it will fish. As with most deer hair flies the work is in the trimming - go slow. Thank RichS.
Gomphus boobie profile.jpgGomphus boobie.jpgGomphus trout.jpg

Hook: 3X, tde nymph/streamer hook #8
Body: olive spun deer hair
Legs: pheasant tail fibers
Head: Olive brown hairs ear dubbing
Eyes: 4 mm black foam cylinder

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What's the brown tail material? Is that all feather.
That is Whiting Brahma Hen Cape dyed Medium Dun. 2 feathers from the top of the cape (wide webby feathers that are mottled instead of badger). I tied them in convex, facing away from each other.

I was also tying some dry flies using a dry fly saddle that was grizzly dyed medium dun. I found a feather up towards the top that was super webby and tapered and thought "I'm gonna tie a game changer with this!". Well, despite the feather being 8 inches long, I ran out halfway through the 3rd connection. I just threw some other stuff in there to make it work. Turned out decent though, I'll definitely fish it!

Scottp

Legend
Firebead Ray Charles

53504857665_14123bc426_c.jpg

53503547437_41aaed4875_c.jpg

53504857670_3e9f9b84fa_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #14
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
rib - small wire silver
shellback - medium tinsel opal
body - ostrich herl tan
hackle - hen dun