Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Definitely an "Agate" and a very cool find. It is a form of cryptocrystalline quarts and I think they classify it as Chalcedony, but around here they just call them agates. I like to look for them. I cut and polished one very similar to yours that I made into a silver pendent. When properly polished, these stones can be astonishing.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Definitely an "Agate" and a very cool find. It is a form of cryptocrystalline quarts and I think they classify it as Chalcedony, but around here they just call them agates. I like to look for them. I cut and polished one very similar to yours that I made into a silver pendent. When properly polished these stones can be astonishing.
Thank you so much!

Got any photos of the pendant?

I’ll see if I can find the kids’ rock polisher.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I gave the pendent to a lady...... I have some lapidary equipment and made a simple "cabochon" out of the agate and made a simple setting out of silver PMC (precious metal clay). I am confident that that stone will easily take on a high polish.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Found a knife sheath and a first aid kit.
IMG_6036.jpeg

Did anyone from this form visit the beach I was on today to experience some Western Cultured? 😂
IMG_6033.jpeg
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
One perfectly good Xtra Tuff.
IMG_6102.jpeg

Not sure what this is. It looks like cartilage.
Maybe part of a skate or something?
IMG_6098.jpeg
IMG_6099.jpeg
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
One perfectly good Xtra Tuff.
View attachment 98292

Not sure what this is. It looks like cartilage.
Maybe part of a skate or something?
View attachment 98293
View attachment 98294
SF
I agree; this looks like the brain case of a skate. Because they are made of cartilage, they don't last very long when compared to bone. Hence, there are VERY few fossils of cartilaginous fishes, except for their teeth which have very hard fluoroapatite (Ca5(PO4)F,) on the outside (enamel) and durable hydroxyapatite (Ca5(PO4)3(OH) inside (dentin).
Steve

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
This didn’t bring me much luck today.
IMG_6108.jpeg

I picked this up and stuffed it into the front pocket of my pack. I thought a skunk was following me around all day. 😂
IMG_6122.jpeg

The B-Run veggies are showing up strong, likely exceeding the forecast. Counted at least seven gourds sunning on the beach.
A cherry tomato showed up as well. Kind of like a even year humpy. I do find it odd how homeowners use the beaches as their compost bins.
IMG_6106.jpegIMG_6121.jpeg
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Not beach related, but hopefully @Wadin' Boot appreciates it. They seem to be migrating inland. As seen in 12th and South Union St in Tacoma.
SF

IMG_6280.jpeg