HB 6294.....attempting to ban fur sales

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
The California bill centered around rabbit. Thus, his hesitency to send skin on rabbit, zonkers, etc.
Right. Those shops had rabbit strips and rabbit strip flies, like dolly lllamas. I dunno, I'm not trying to call you out; I just like to verify info before getting worked up about it. Maybe they can sell them online but not in-state?
Weird that an anti-fur bill would center around a legit food animal. Perhaps because they're also pets?
Like I said, my fear is that calling attention to fly tying materials might just get them added to the list!

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You all might want to watch the hearing. This bill starts at 1:17:44

Specifically exempts fly fishing products.
And Merkins? I think we need to uncover this grey area of the bill. To deny sex workers and others access to natural fibre Merkins is not only a health hazard but discrimination. Still lots of ambiguity lurkin' with the merkin

Millsfly

Steelhead
Right. Those shops had rabbit strips and rabbit strip flies, like dolly lllamas. I dunno, I'm not trying to call you out; I just like to verify info before getting worked up about it. Maybe they can sell them online but not in-state?
Weird that an anti-fur bill would center around a legit food animal. Perhaps because they're also pets?
Like I said, my fear is that calling attention to fly tying materials might just get them added to the list!
specifically going off what the owner of Nature's Spirit is telling me. He no longer sells hide on products for rabbit to California accounts. Could there be other distributors that do, prolly.

Sitting through the hearing today and testifying, the main thing is this. It's a pure play by the HSUS and PETA of the world to gain traction against trapping and hunting. The majority of the "pro" side leaned into animal farms and out of country hides/pelts but there's zero language in the bill go speak of these items. The provision for allowing for fibers of animals without hide on to be used in flies might be well intentioned, ,but when do you pick up deer hair that doesnt have hide on. It's total bullshit....

I'm not a big "slippery slope" guy but man, if there ever was a clear case for fisherman to rally against bs legislation, here it is

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
specifically going off what the owner of Nature's Spirit is telling me. He no longer sells hide on products for rabbit to California accounts. Could there be other distributors that do, prolly.

Sitting through the hearing today and testifying, the main thing is this. It's a pure play by the HSUS and PETA of the world to gain traction against trapping and hunting. The majority of the "pro" side leaned into animal farms and out of country hides/pelts but there's zero language in the bill go speak of these items. The provision for allowing for fibers of animals without hide on to be used in flies might be well intentioned, ,but when do you pick up deer hair that doesnt have hide on. It's total bullshit....

I'm not a big "slippery slope" guy but man, if there ever was a clear case for fisherman to rally against bs legislation, here it is
As I said earlier...
1706224674854.png

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
As Henny Penny so astutely said "The sky is falling, the sky is falling."

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
What a huge waste of time, money, resources. Shouldn't be spending any time on shit like this when there are significantly larger challenges happening.
So true. Even year sessions are short 90 day sessions. The Legislature has one job that is mandatory. That is to pass a budget. The biennium budget is the product of the longer 105 day odd year sessions. The only job the even year session has to do is pass an amended or supplemental budget. Yet time and time again, they spend most of the session on bills other than the budget and then often can't seem to get a budget passed by the deadline. I find it infuriating that they can't seem to perform the very job for which they are elected.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How about we stop passing laws or any kind, we have plenty...

People seem to equate passing laws with enforcement. It's a way for politicians to look busy. If we only enforced the good laws we already have the call for new ones would fade with the exception of regulation of new technologies etc.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So true. Even year sessions are short 90 day sessions. The Legislature has one job that is mandatory. That is to pass a budget. The biennium budget is the product of the longer 105 day odd year sessions. The only job the even year session has to do is pass an amended or supplemental budget. Yet time and time again, they spend most of the session on bills other than the budget and then often can't seem to get a budget passed by the deadline. I find it infuriating that they can't seem to perform the very job for which they are elected.
I was a page in Olympia when I was a kid. So go to walk through the house of reps during session.

Saw alot of games on lap tops being played. Ages of empire was a crowd favorite.

Guess I'd rather them play video games I guess than tinker with bathroom laws, fur bans and gun safety measures.

Who's got a budget to pass when your trying to build your way out of the dark ages

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
People seem to equate passing laws with enforcement. It's a way for politicians to look busy. If we only enforced the good laws we already have the call for new ones would fade with the exception of regulation of new technologies etc.
If you think legislators aren't busy, you haven't spent much time with legislators. Laws are made on a wide variety of situations, and a lot of them don't require "enforcement." Much of the work happening right now is choosing which programs the state offers and how much money will go to them.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you think legislators aren't busy, you haven't spent much time with legislators. Laws are made on a wide variety of situations, and a lot of them don't require "enforcement." Much of the work happening right now is choosing which programs the state offers and how much money will go to them.

I have absolutely no doubt the legislatures are diligently working trying to figure out where to spend my money and how to extract more. I have every faith in the world government waste is a myth.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was a page in Olympia when I was a kid. So go to walk through the house of reps during session.

Saw alot of games on lap tops being played. Ages of empire was a crowd favorite.

Guess I'd rather them play video games I guess than tinker with bathroom laws, fur bans and gun safety measures.

Who's got a budget to pass when your trying to build your way out of the dark ages
This is how I imagined it to be. Then again I don't mind if nothing gets done. It's cheaper and less stupid that way.