Got any bird pics?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I am a big fan of the classic British sci-fi called Red Dwarf. And every time I see the eyes on loons or grebes, I am reminded of the episode “Quarantine”. In this episode, the hologram Rimmer is infected by a space virus. The infection gives Rimmer “hex-vision” which his eyes turn bright red and lightning-bolts shoot from his eyes. So, the loons and grebes have the bright red eyes, but I haven’t seen the lightning-bolts yet (but I’m always watching carefully and don’t turn my back on ‘em when they’re close…).
On a recent loop trip (Bottle Beach / Westport, Tokeland / Brady Loop Rd.), my wife and I saw four species of grebes and two species of loons. First up at Westport Marina, we saw two horned grebes that were diving by the overhead walkway to the #20 dock and the harbor breakwater. Like the child’s game of “red-light – green light”, I would move in closer along the finger docks when a bird was underwater and snap a few pictures when it popped up to the surface. But neither bird was very willing to let me get too close.
A01HornedGrebe9404.jpg
An eared grebe was diving on the main basin side, but it was in VERY bad light. But as we walked back to the car, it popped up in a great position and I captured a series of images. It was quite distinctive in its winter plumage; its breeding plumage must be striking.
A02EaredGrebe9624.jpg
Several long-necked Western grebes were diving in the main basin and at the entrance to the marina.
A04WesternGrebe9578.jpg
A05WesternGrebe9602.jpgIn binoc range, but in not camera range, we saw some red-necked grebes as well.
Loons are rare in Washington lakes in summer, but many individuals of several species overwinter in the Salish Sea and along the coast. Several common loons were diving in the boat basin. They are identifiable by their large size, with substantial blue-gray blade-like bills, white necks, and a pale white collar that wraps around its neck incompletely. They can sit quite low in the water, much like a cormorant (vs. ducks which typically sit high in the water after a dive. [The red eyes weren’t as obvious in these pictures.]
A07CommonLoon9514.jpg
A06CommonLoon9513.jpg
At Tokeland, we saw more Western grebes and red-necked grebes, albeit in the bay. And there were also common loons farther out. But a Pacific loon was diving just off the fishing pier and quite cooperative and flashed its hex-vision.
A08PacificLoon9685.jpg
The Pacific loon is a bit smaller than a common loon. Their black “chin-strap” is a diagnostic field character.
A09PacificLoon9665.jpg
Unlike, common loons, Pacific loons lack the incomplete white neck collar; the border between the white necks and dark nape is sharp. And the nape and cap regions are light gray in the Pacific loon, while these regions distinctly dark gray in common loons.
A10PacificLoon9657.jpg
Of course, other birds, such as spotted towhees and American coots, have red eyes too. And some distinctive marine birds have eyes that are also striking, albeit not red, such as the green eyes of the double-crested cormorant.
DDoubleCrestedCormorant9542.jpg
Steve

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Hope you get the mystery unraveled, John and that it was due to an accident, not a criminal act.

Jim F.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Wildlife officer took the eagle. Got some views of it spun over. No blood or trauma visible. Eagle off to a vet to determine cause of death and I won't hear back most likely. Since the bald eagle was delisted, federal funding has been cut so the state department gets the work done without federal $.

Update: I did just hear back from the officer and the vet said likely a car strike/ blunt force. No signs of electrocution or being shot.

Kind of a Pompeii still-life portrait of prey and predator, attached in death.
eaglegrip2024.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I could understand a car strike. I almost hit a mature eagle on the highway to Chesaw, east or Oroville. The eagle had been feeding on a dead deer in the ditch and flared as I approached. Filled the whole damn windshield on the truck for a bit.

I certainly do hope that was the cause.

Jim F.

Thanks, John. Takes some of the harshness out of the loss.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I could understand a car strike. I almost hit a mature eagle on the highway to Chesaw, east or Oroville. The eagle had been feeding on a dead deer in the ditch and flared as I approached. Filled the whole damn windshield on the truck for a bit.

I certainly do hope that was the cause.
I had the exact same thing happen on Chuckanut Dr. on my way to hike Oyster Dome once. Having tail feathers 10 feet in front of my face really made me appreciate the scale of them.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Wildlife officer took the eagle. Got some views of it spun over. No blood or trauma visible. Eagle off to a vet to determine cause of death and I won't hear back most likely. Since the bald eagle was delisted, federal funding has been cut so the state department gets the work done without federal $.

Update: I did just hear back from the officer and the vet said likely a car strike/ blunt force. No signs of electrocution or being shot.

Kind of a Pompeii still-life portrait of prey and predator, attached in death.
View attachment 100184
I too am relieved the eagle wasn't shot. I wonder if the driver was aware of what happened. @Gyrfalcon22 - thank you for your diligence.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I too am relieved the eagle wasn't shot. I wonder if the driver was aware of what happened. @Gyrfalcon22 - thank you for your diligence.
That road has some real hooligans on it at times and there are few witnesses in the countryside. In the several hours on that stretch the past couple of days I had little courtesy of speed limits or slowdowns.
I was doing @Stonedfish good duty with garbage pickup while waiting for answers.

They would likely line up for a kill if I wanted an easy bet should have been short answer, imho.

Sorry for the derailing of this fine subforum, so we'll get back to the better part of watching creatures.

3rd or 4th heaviest flying bird in the world. Trumpeter swans. Big birds when close to the road. Actually, HUGE is more like it. They can reach nearly 40 pounds. Wingspans can reach 10 feet !

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Today I may have stumbled across the reason for the young eagle's demise. In that same exact stretch I saw the most brutal air attacks from 7-8 bald eagles doing some heavy serious dogfighting. They were all in a ball it seemed and they were chasing young eagles mostly. Really different than the half-playing acrobatics one usually sees of a few birds. These were all out assaults. Add a duck meal in the talons of a young bird and it could easily see where it would have been driven into the wires.

It really checks the boxes of an awkward accident of a bird over its head in panic. Here is a pair of Bald's today in that immediate area teaming up to chase some immatures around.
They look as serious as their actions were.

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Today I may have stumbled across the reason for the young eagle's demise. In that same exact stretch I saw the most brutal air attacks from 7-8 bald eagles doing some heavy serious dogfighting. They were all in a ball it seemed and they were chasing young eagles mostly. Really different than the half-playing acrobatics one usually sees of a few birds. These were all out assaults. Add a duck meal in the talons of a young bird and it could easily see where it would have been driven into the wires.

It really checks the boxes of an awkward accident of a bird over its head in panic. Here is a pair of Bald's today in that immediate area teaming up to chase some immatures around.
They look as serious as their actions were.
View attachment 100331
Many raptors and owls actually start laying eggs VERY early; they can chow down on migrating birds in spring and their offspring can feed on the clueless fledglings of other birds.. In Western Washington, egg laying by bald eagles can begin as early as late February / early March. I wouldn't be surprised if eagles aren't also trying to "clean-up" their territories of seasonal interlopers.
Steve

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
There are four nests within about 3 miles here and I think they are about half in use in a given year, but there is one dominant pair that definitely does the house cleaning. It is a loud affair when it is time to run off those who dare to trespass. The golden eagle is the one bird they do not hassle with. Some immatures make the mistake of trying to bully him like another young bald, but they soon get a lesson of why the goldens rule the northern skies globally.

Great horned owls start calling territorial warnings in December locally. Hours and hours of relentless hooting for the kings of the night sky. Indeed, the season starts early for the apex birds.