2024 Fishing Aspirations

Tubbster

Steelhead
Just had my 3rd shoulder surgery in August. I’ve come to terms that casting normally (even gear fishing) is going to hurt. My wife got me a 5wt opst trout Spey rod for SRC this Christmas. My goal this year is to learn to Spey cast in the sound this year.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I pray that this year will be filled with as many fishing days as possible, and days with my family and friends!

I am hoping to explore more new waters in Central and North Central Washington. Maybe a little exploration North of the boarder.

I also hope to spend a lot of days on my usual favorites.

Everyday is a gift!
The ranch is three miles from the border…😉 Lots of lakes…

Jisabi

Steelhead
Oh man, I have so many aspirations. I just got started with 2-handed casting in 2023. I would like to explore and get to know a couple SW WA rivers closer to home.

Dedicate as much time on Puget Sound and Hood Canal as I can spare.

I hope to explore and familiarize with a few rivers and small streams stream for cutts and coho.

Last year I started to dial in 1 lake of choice. Will keep working on this one.

I bought a pontoon this year and hope to try a few safe floats in the summer/fall.

I always ignore bass but I know they really deserve attention too.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Back in early/mid 80’s as a youth I spent a couple days each spring/early summer for 3 years in a row I believe. My dad wasn’t a big time fisherman but he dabbled. This is where my Berkeley Cherrywood 7/8 8’6” glass got some serious work on some sizeable red band trout. Been eyeing a return here for the past decade or more it seems. Probably won’t happen this year either but I always revisit it in my mind and read internet updates. And I stumbled across this from Todd Moen.

A nice little 12 minute distraction ….

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
1. Try to do more fishing with other people. I used to have a stressful job in an industry built around constant crisis, and fishing was my time to get away from it, and everybody. Now I work part time, remotely at a completely non-stressful job, and while I still like fishing alone, a little company would be nice also. My aspiration this year is to check out the local fly fishing club.

2. Get the family out fishing more. My wife and daughter enjoy fishing, but it's not their first (or second) choice most of the time. Going to try to figure out places where they can do a spa day one day, fish the next. Maybe Soap Lake? I hear it get talked about a lot on this site, sounds like a nice place.

3. Fish rivers more and catch a salmon on a river.

4. Start tying flies. I really only use about 5-6 flies. I think I can save money if I start tying those 5-6. I know, I know.

Anyways, those are my aspirations for the year, we'll see what happens. Already gave up on Dry January....

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
  • Black Hills are top candidates.
My friend Doug Mateo, who used to own a San Francisco fly shop, got so into Harley's he closed his shop to sell Harleys at the SF dealership..Anyhoo, he became a regular attendee at Sturgis, and behind the campground where he stayed while attending the spectacle was a creek...and per the pics he showed me, some surprisingly large Browns lived in that creek..likely the only guy who showed up at Sturgis with a Harley and a fly rod

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I want to land a nice bull hooked on top water this winter.
I hooked one but didn’t land it. Maybe next winter. Good thing is I got out waaay more than winter 22/23.
It already feels like spring to me.

EBT

Smolt
I finally got around to reading this thread - don't know how I missed it. For me:

A trout every month, this would be 10 years in a row if I do that;
A trout on a dry every month - achieved in Jan/Feb, so I should be good till November;
Bluefin trip;
Explore some more of the forks of the Willamette (and the forks of the forks), especially the ones with no stocking.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I finally got around to reading this thread - don't know how I missed it. For me:

A trout every month, this would be 10 years in a row if I do that;
A trout on a dry every month - achieved in Jan/Feb, so I should be good till November;
Bluefin trip;
Explore some more of the forks of the Willamette (and the forks of the forks), especially the ones with no stocking.
There's a lot of forks up there, a lot of them very pretty.

Good luck and Cheers

Flymph

Steelhead
I pray that this year will be filled with as many fishing days as possible, and days with my family and friends!

I am hoping to explore more new waters in Central and North Central Washington. Maybe a little exploration North of the boarder.

I also hope to spend a lot of days on my usual favorites.

Everyday is a gift!
Please bring water along with you.