What's in your vise?

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sz. 12 Green Rock Worm
View attachment 96324
Sz. 8 olive/brown knuckle dragger jig.
View attachment 96325

Tom, I like your green rock worm. I've been working on some too, as I have found the same in my bug samples this time of year: lots of Hydropsyche and Rhyacophila Larvae.

These one's are more of a Hydropsyche, but I think all you would need to do for the Rhyacophila would be use a lighter (or brighter green) scud back and change the hook style to a longer curved shank, but otherwise same recipe.

DSC_0014-fotor-20231214162914 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0015-fotor-20231214163044 - edit 1.jpg
fotor_2023-1-20_15_35_43 - edit 1.jpg
fotor_2023-1-20_15_38_28 - edit 1.jpg

A sample from the Yakima River in early March
DSC_0001 - edit 1.jpg

Hydropsyche
DSC_1842 - edit 1.jpg

Rhyacophila
DSC_1837 - edit 1.jpg

I don't have a picture of this little green rock worm fly I was using last year (to imitate those smaller fluorescent green ones), but it is a simple tie. Veevus Iris thread in chartreuse for the body, colored with a bright green sharpie to make it just a little more green, and then coated with UV resin for durability and to make it colorfast. And then just some sparse, spiky blackish dubbing and a black tungsten bead. This one has become a go to for me for early spring through early summer on the Yak.

Scottp

Legend
Munn’s Muirhead Bumble (variation)

53416300403_5d99dbc1f2_c.jpg

53416299253_7bb2807f80_c.jpg

53416567990_6bb404d557_c.jpg

A few minor changes to the original.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 fluoro orange
tail - yarn flame/amber/yellow
rib - small wire copper
body - medium tinsel opal
hackle - grizzly dyed orange olive (2 Tsp Rit Neon Green, 1/4 Tsp Rit Sunshine Orange/2 cups water)
1st shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange olive
2nd shoulder - hen grizzly dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Been tying up some different combos and practicing making composite dubbing loops. This one came out pretty good. John's original has the loop behind the rubber legs.
View attachment 96369View attachment 96375
For dubbing loops...
When I think I have it sparse...I go even sparser (just make a longer loop)...as I wrap, I fold and wrap, fold and wrap (like a feather hackle). You can even brush 'em out backwards (if a lot gets pulled out, ya know your loop had too much material to start with...and the fibers didn't lock in properly). Split thread loops will help reduce some bulk and teach ya about going "sparse".

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Tom, I like your green rock worm. I've been working on some too, as I have found the same in my bug samples this time of year: lots of Hydropsyche and Rhyacophila Larvae.

These one's are more of a Hydropsyche, but I think all you would need to do for the Rhyacophila would be use a lighter (or brighter green) scud back and change the hook style to a longer curved shank, but otherwise same recipe.

View attachment 96413
View attachment 96417
View attachment 96422
View attachment 96423

View attachment 96419

Hydropsyche
View attachment 96420

Rhyacophila
View attachment 96421

I don't have a picture of this little green rock worm fly I was using last year (to imitate those smaller fluorescent green ones), but it is a simple tie. Veevus Iris thread in chartreuse for the body, colored with a bright green sharpie to make it just a little more green, and then coated with UV resin for durability and to make it colorfast. And then just some sparse, spiky blackish dubbing and a black tungsten bead. This one has become a go to for me for early spring through early summer on the Yak.
Oliver Edwards does a mean one these... ;-)

Zak

Legend
For dubbing loops...
When I think I have it sparse...I go even sparser (just make a longer loop)...as I wrap, I fold and wrap, fold and wrap (like a feather hackle). You can even brush 'em out backwards (if a lot gets pulled out, ya know your loop had too much material to start with...and the fibers didn't lock in properly). Split thread loops will help reduce some bulk and teach ya about going "sparse".
I mostly use split thread dubbing "loops." Easier, neater, and quicker for me.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

View attachment 96413
View attachment 96417
View attachment 96422
View attachment 96423

View attachment 96419

Hydropsyche
View attachment 96420

Rhyacophila
View attachment 96421

For dubbing loops...
I mostly use split thread dubbing "loops." Easier, neater, and quicker for me.
Fantastic ties James, almost too nice to fish!
Thanks for the technique feedback, lots to learn and figure out. I have some scud back coming in my next order to try. I think I need to start experimenting with markers also. I'll work on these this winter, as well as some other stuff.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oliver Edwards does a mean one these... ;-)

I tied some of those, one with the latex and golden pheasant tail legs and the other with yarn. I couldn't get the one with GPT legs to look right, so pretty much just copied that one and replaced with dubbing. The yarn one, while it looks simple to tie, was actually a PITA for me, so after tying 3 thinking I would be able to make it quicker I decided to go my own route. But I think my patterns are deeply rooted in OE's ideas.

DSC_0337 - edit 1 (1).jpg
DSC_341-342-stacked - edit 1.jpg
DSC_338-340-stacked - edit 1.jpg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Fantastic ties James, almost too nice to fish!
Thanks for the technique feedback, lots to learn and figure out. I have some scud back coming in my next order to try. I think I need to start experimenting with markers also. I'll work on these this winter, as well as some other stuff.
For scud back...
Cut 1/4" strips from a ziplock freezer bag.
Color with lime green sharpie, let dry a bit, then hit the same colored side with metallic gold sharpie.
When tied in (painted side down), give it a stretch a bit, the two colors will blend like magic to give you the best olive color.

Experiment with different color combos...always finishing with a metallic color (gold, silver, bronze).
Tip: use the sides of the sharpie tips when coloring; and use the lightest touch and longest strokes with the metallic color.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Serial-Killer-Caddis-Pupa1080.jpg

Serial Killer Caddis Pupa

Hook - Curved caddis, size 10-16
Weight - Lead free wire
Thread - Black
Ribbing - Red wire
Under body - Green yarn, tapered
Body - Chartreuse holographic tinsel
Wing case & Antenna - Pheasant tail fibers
Thorax - Hare's ear dubbing

Coat the body with uv resin prior to tying in the wing case

From a YouTube video

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I remember Darbie D convincing me to drive him up to some place called Reiter's Pond (Ponds?). We headed up in my old VW, found parking in a driving rainstorm. I could see all these camera strobes going off - gear guys (Darbie and I were gear guys) "exciting" their luminescent (sp) corkies. How do you plan to excite this fly?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Trying a straggle stone. Cut the thin skin too wide, and gotta think about how the colors work when put together. I can see the caddis worms with these materials too. Getting too many flies to try with the cold coming. 20231223_185536.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
I remember Darbie D convincing me to drive him up to some place called Reiter's Pond (Ponds?). We headed up in my old VW, found parking in a driving rainstorm. I could see all these camera strobes going off - gear guys (Darbie and I were gear guys) "exciting" their luminescent (sp) corkies. How do you plan to excite this fly?
Oh I bet flash from a camera would really get it going. This Atomic Glow stuff is easily the best glow material I’ve ever seen.

I’m going to bring a little black light and charge it up in the cover of my waders. Heading to a dinner tonight and just might have 30min to spill along the way during dusk. Game on!

longputt

Steelhead
Flat-Car-1080.jpg

Flat Car

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tail - Black hackle barbs
Butt - Dubbed with fluorescent green lamb's wool
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Black chenille
Wing - Six strands each pearl and black Flashabou Accent, then black marabou
Hackle - Black tied on as a collar and tied back

Randall Kaufmann of Portland, Oregon, originated this pattern.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson
You really find some flies that bring back memories! But you tie then far better than I ever have. I started adding a few black calf tail fibers to stop the marabou wing from wrapping around the the shank. We called this fly "Box Car" but I'm guessing we were wrong and it certainly was a "D" fly so the name mix up would be easy.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nothing like giving your kid the gift of a Christmas goose egg on a PNW Winter river. Kidding of course because Oliver always out fishes us 🤷‍♂️. Merry Christmas my friend.
Merry Christmas buddy. Let me know when that knee is healed up so we can all go get skunked together!