Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
They'll take a streamer, but I prefer fishing under an indicator for them.
Less work.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
The last 10 years it has been smoked tri tip with a seafood mix. This year will tri tip, smoked bacon wrapped scallops, Manila clams and butter and oyster on the half shell with champagne butter vinaigrette. With the kids in town this will be a lot of work but they love it. Christmas Day is a fowl day with pheasant breasts and bacon jalapeno duck appetizers and my favorite pumpkin frangelico cheesecake.

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
Is that a freshwater eel?...I'd like to see a pic of the eel and finished dish...

To answer, yes, "freshwater" eel (Anguilla anguilla), although they spend much of their lives in the Sargasso Sea. Truth is, any eel sold at market today will be farmed.

We're not doing it this year, my sister-in-law's husband just passed away yesterday, so we're having a pared down Christmas dinner.

In any case, here's almost exactly how I do it, except for the fact that I wrap the individual pieces in bay leaves, secured with kitchen twine:

- Capitone arrosto

Merry Christmas all,
Kenneth

flybill

Life of the Party
To answer, yes, "freshwater" eel (Anguilla anguilla), although they spend much of their lives in the Sargasso Sea. Truth is, any eel sold at market today will be farmed.

We're not doing it this year, my sister-in-law's husband just passed away yesterday, so we're having a pared down Christmas dinner.

In any case, here's almost exactly how I do it, except for the fact that I wrap the individual pieces in bay leaves, secured with kitchen twine:

- Capitone arrosto

Merry Christmas all,
Kenneth
Condolences on your loss! Keep the family close and enjoy your holiday as much as you can. Peace and Love! Merry Christmas (although it may not feel like it) and Happy New Year!

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

- Capitone arrosto

Merry Christmas all,
Kenneth
Kenneth, I am so sorry for your families loss. We will lift your family up in our prayers.

Shawn

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
No interest in turkey a month after tday. Ham is okay, but always kinda feels like deli counter to me (though great leftovers). I could always get behind NW salmon but the time of year means you are going from frozen (which isn't bad) and being outside grilling isn't fun in the bad weather.

A big roast or stew is a better bet in my book. I'll be doing a Guinness beef stew for our family Solstice dinner. Not sure what my father in law will do for Christmas dinner, but a roast seems likely.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For some reason “Christmas Ham” just sounds right. Really rolls off the tongue.
Ham is always good , we really changed it up for Thanksgiving this year, no one in the family is very fond of turkey . So it was a spiral cut ham , and roasted chicken , with the usual fixings. First time in my 76 years no turkey for thanksgiving, can’t say I really missed it .

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don't want to support Canada! Those terrorists! Damn Canadian geese! Do they call them American geese up in Canada?!?
THREAD DRIFT: A few years before I retired, I was working with a group of coworkers on several habitat related projects. One of my coworkers is an immigrant from Russia. He and I were carpooling to a project site, as we passed through one area surrounded by flowering "Russian" olives, I said something like "I really like the smell when Russian olives bloom". Somehow this pissed off my coworker and he responded "In Russia, we call them American olives!" hahahaha, cracked me up.