53401757794_788fffb8d4_c.jpg

53401757799_7e4a0712d3_c.jpg

53401459711_758fef6a56_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
butt - yarn flame
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub orange
hackle - dyed olive orange (2 Tsp Rit Neon Green, 1/4 Tsp Rit Sunshine Orange/2 cups water)
1st shoulder - dyed flame (1 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/8 Tsp Rit Scarlet/1 cup water)
2nd shoulder - pheasant rump dyed olive orange

Regards,
Scott

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Size 12 coffee/black Pat's for little winter stones. I know James, boring, but they work, and I do have an order coming with stuff for straggle stone's and some other creations.
View attachment 95065

I know, they really are the most productive stonefly nymph i've ever fished.

My life goal is to create a (stonefly) pattern that works as good or better 😂.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I know, they really are the most productive stonefly nymph i've ever fished.

My life goal is to create a (stonefly) pattern that works as good or better 😂.
The way you tie I think you got a good shot at it. I've been reviewing this thread.
So many good ties here. My creations suck, can't believe the fish eat them. I'm better off copying, and even then my flies don't look like the pictures or the ones in the shops.
The real bugs have a much lighter underside. The pat's doesn't show that, and is too fat. My other flies were better yesterday. I have stuff coming for straggle stones, I hope they will be good. I'll try working up some stuff from the above thread to. I do like prehatch nymphing, and the bugs are active now. Yesterday was almost summertime good.

Attachments

• 20231216_091358.jpg
    20231216_091358.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Brush-Pile-1080.jpg

Brush Pile

Tail - Peacock sword feather barbs
Ribbing - Embossed gold tinsel
Body - Dubbed with reddish brown lamb's wool
Hackle - Brown tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wing - White bucktail tied low over the body
Overwing - Black bucktail, then natural brown bucktail

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
The way you tie I think you got a good shot at it. I've been reviewing this thread.
So many good ties here. My creations suck, can't believe the fish eat them. I'm better off copying, and even then my flies don't look like the pictures or the ones in the shops.
The real bugs have a much lighter underside. The pat's doesn't show that, and is too fat. My other flies were better yesterday. I have stuff coming for straggle stones, I hope they will be good. I'll try working up some stuff from the above thread to. I do like prehatch nymphing, and the bugs are active now. Yesterday was almost summertime good.
They do make a “stonefly “ chenille that reduces the size of the fly. It won’t help with lighter under body color though.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
There was a guy on the old site, I wanna say he fished a lot of Oregon Stillwater and had a blue drift boat, he was often writing about this and advocating the virtues of his “two tone nymph” if I recall correctly.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'll give these a go for the green rock worms. Sz. 14 3xl. White ostrich, green wool, olive/brown hares ear, silver rib.
20231217_104143.jpg20231216_bugs3.jpg

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
half may have already been posted, but the other half of this school of Baja baitfish have not.
PXL_20231218_010439094~2.jpg

These two (also seen above) have this weird rubber-legged chenille that looked cool. It should lay down when stripped fast but still have lots of weird movement....test tbd. Also used craft fur for the tail to give a touch more movement than the bucktail patterns above (although one of those up there also has Nayat for a tail, which I'll probably be doing more of because of the stiffness combined with incredible movement, not to mention the taper and semi-translucence).
PXL_20231218_010631427.MP~2.jpg

🍻

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
half may have already been posted, but the other half of this school of Baja baitfish have not.
View attachment 95313

These two (also seen above) have this weird rubber-legged chenille that looked cool. It should lay down when stripped fast but still have lots of weird movement....test tbd. Also used craft fur for the tail to give a touch more movement than the bucktail patterns above (although one of those up there also has Nayat for a tail, which I'll probably be doing more of because of the stiffness combined with incredible movement, not to mention the taper and semi-translucence).
View attachment 95314

🍻
I’ve never tried those but yeah they should flutter when stripped fast.