What's in your vise?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Class act move by SF to help out another up and coming tyer!

IMO this ‘What’s in your vise’ thread is the best one going on PNWFF, lots of cool fellowship and good vibes going on.
I’ve been quite blown away by the fellowship on this forum. A member here kindly PMd me after my post about fly thread and sent me a wonderful collection of fly thread at no charge. After I mentioned having issues with exertion, I was given the kind offer of borrowing a single hand Spey setup.

To prove that bobbin will get put to good use, here are two things that I tied today.

IMG_4833.jpeg
A BC Style Polar Chennile salmon fly. Super simple thing that takes all of one minute to tie, gonna be making tons of these in a variety of sizes and weights for fall. I’ve looked up some more complex patterns, but I’m personally hoping this is the one that works because I can see myself cranking out every color, density, weight and size possible.

IMG_4830.jpeg

Dirty baggery in the fly tying thread- I know. But thought I’d try tying the popular rabbit strip style jig. I’ve lost a ton of these everytime I’ve tried twitching and don’t quite have the stomach for loosing 7 bucks everytime I hit the river. These are very simple to tie, and I bet tied a little shorter with a jig hook and heavy bead or dumbbell eyes, would make an excellent fly for faster or dirtier water

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the Ned rig but haven't fished them. I will in 2024 though. I like your ned fly.
You might try wraping a thin strip of foam on the bottom 1/3 of the hook shank or thread like a nightcrawler a short piece of small diameter cylindrical foam like what is used for dragonfly or boobie fly to float the bottom of the hook.
Still use your mono extension foam and wrap your chenille over the cylindrical foam on up to the eye.
If that makes any sense.
I'm going to try that.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Hot-Wire-Caddis-1080.jpg

Hot Wire Caddis

Ken Morrish

Bead - Black/black nickel
Abdomen - Red & Copper wire
Under wing - White goose biots
Over wing - Partridge feather fibers
Flash - 4 strands of krystal flash
Thorax - Peacock herl or dubbing

HotWireCaddis.jpg (640×840) (ngatu692.com)

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Dirty baggery in the fly tying thread- I know. But thought I’d try tying the popular rabbit strip style jig. I’ve lost a ton of these everytime I’ve tried twitching and don’t quite have the stomach for loosing 7 bucks everytime I hit the river. These are very simple to tie, and I bet tied a little shorter with a jig hook and heavy bead or dumbbell eyes, would make an excellent fly for faster or dirtier water
Looks good to me. I think your on the right track. I tie nightmare jig knockoffs to fish under a bobber and they work just as well as store bought.
Fast sinking nymph size 16.
View attachment 94615
Since I viewed this I've seen the iron lotus video pop up enough to notice. I like yours. Maybe the AI search bot thinks I need some in my box but I don't have many hooks that small to tie on. I just never pick small stuff when I'm on the steam, need to work on that.

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Wind-River-1080.jpg

Wind River

Tip - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Golden pheasant crest feather
Body - Oval silver tinsel
Hackle - Brown tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wing - Dyed orange natural brown bucktail tied over the body

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Zak

Legend
Looks good to me. I think your on the right track. I tie nightmare jig knockoffs to fish under a bobber and they work just as well as store bought.

Since I viewed this I've seen the iron lotus video pop up enough to notice. I like yours. Maybe the AI search bot thinks I need some in my box but I don't have many hooks that small to tie on. I just never pick small stuff when I'm on the steam, need to work on that.
Thanks, Tom. I copied this "TRC Baetis" from here:

I've tried the Iron Lotus but for some reason never caught a trout on one.

The tiny nymph I caught a trout on with you was Egan's Rainbow Warrior.

Bongoman

Life of the Party
If that’s not a Raider fly, I don’t know what is…
Got a picture of a Raider? I know of 3 different patterns called Raider ( Cascade, Tay, and the Silver Raider ) all of which aren't even close to the Silverado I found on the net and tied

Bongoman

Life of the Party
My Throwback Thursday fly of the week The Henryville Special fly was created by Hiram Brobst and was christened on the Henryville section of Pennsylvania's Broadhead Creek. The Henryville is a superior adult caddis imitation and has been around for many years. One of the classic dry flies

Henryville Special2.jpg