What's in your vise?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Practicing hollow fly tying with craft fur. Only tore this apart twice and still don't like how the belly turned out. Would probably be easier using a single color and use a marker to shade the top. Trick with two colors is getting the last tie down wraps on top of each other before pulling material back and tying the dam wraps.
View attachment 93840
I'll bet you'll change your mind when you swim it.

I always have a tough time with the look of craft fur hollow flies.....until I see them in the water.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The way I have always done those seems to make it quite easy and perhaps you have already figured it out but allow me to mention. After the tails and body materials are tied in bring the thread to the front and tie off. Rotate the vice until the hook eye is pointing directly at you. Grasp one strand of body material in each hand and weave the body without letting go of either or switching hands. One over, cross materials, one under, cross materials and so on until the desired body length is achieved. Reattach thread and tie them both off. Also I have always found the results most pleasant when using materials that have a little fuzz to them like yarns or chenille rather than floss or such.
Thank you. I have found cutting the thread to be the best so far. For now I found the knots better because I was having trouble holding tension, but I think if I sat more in front of the fly the method you mentioned may work out better for me. And using the rotation will help me get the wire done better. Thanks, much appreciated. I'm gonna keep at it, the stone worked.

Attachments

• 20231206_stone2.jpg
    20231206_stone2.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Thank you. I have found cutting the thread to be the best so far. For now I found the knots better because I was having trouble holding tension, but I think if I sat more in front of the fly the method you mentioned may work out better for me. And using the rotation will help me get the wire done better. Thanks, much appreciated. I'm gonna keep at it, the stone worked.
Best tutorial I have found for a woven fly.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Took a stab at a Ray Bergman pattern, "Sawtooth" on a size 6 as seen in Steven Bird's book Trout Spey page 208.
The tinsel I used is to wide, a bit wonky.
View attachment 93936
I think you're right, but I like it. Couple months ago I'd probably of copied it to try as an october caddis.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Smoke-On-the-Water-1080.jpg

Smoke On the Water

Bead – Black/black nickel
Gills - White
Ribbing – Black wire
Body – Purple holographic tinsel
Thorax – Peacock herl

Central Alberta Fly Tying Club: January 2014 (rdflytying.blogspot.com)

Scottp

Legend
Golden Olive Cephalopod

53381640481_aee4f0692f_c.jpg

53382079135_0d06de9e91_c.jpg

53381959859_23b4f5d5b4_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - MFC 8/0 light brown
butt - yarn sunburst
rib - small wire gold
body - grey mohair rabbit dyed golden olive (1 TBS Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water)
hackle - dun dyed golden olive
1st shoulder - dun chukar partridge dyed golden olive
2nd shoulder - pheasant neck dyed olive

Dyeing shades of grey substrates yield interesting results.

53381847413_edbc8b0a6f_c.jpg

53381959854_0ee939b3a7_c.jpg

53381681741_3a0f771407_c.jpg

Regards,
Scott

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Some recent stuff off the vice

Smaller brown stonefly (lots of these on my home water)
View attachment 94158

March Brown, Quill body
View attachment 94159

March Brown, Biot Body
View attachment 94160

March Brown, Quill Body Turkey Slip Wing
View attachment 94163

Fugly October Caddis (this thing had fish jumping out of the water crazy chasing it all fall)
View attachment 94164

Golden Stonefly Nymph (lots of these on my home waters too)
View attachment 94165
Bravo!