What's in your vise?

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
After seeing all the nice steelhead flies posted recently I took a stab at one of my old standbys. Kind of an Intruder / Hobo Spey Variation. I used to top these with a couple golden pheasant body feathers to sort of suggest a shell back, but didn't have any orange ones that would've looked right on this color combo.
Black and Orange Hobo spey fly.jpg

25mm Wad shank. The orange is arctic fox spun and wrapped, some pearl diamond braid, followed by black angora palmered with orange dyed guinea. Lastly some wrapped black marabou and a few amherst fibers.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
A couple small clousers with Icelandic sheep to test out. Admittedly this successful pattern doesn’t appeal to me for whatever reason, which will motivate some variations to come.
View attachment 93735
The winter SRC box is almost full. Maybe some chartreuse wetflys and a few more baitfish.
View attachment 93736
Cool looking material! And I like the color gradient. Looks tough to tie in without getting too bushy though.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
A couple small clousers with Icelandic sheep to test out. Admittedly this successful pattern doesn’t appeal to me for whatever reason, which will motivate some variations to come.
View attachment 93735
The winter SRC box is almost full. Maybe some chartreuse wetflys and a few more baitfish.
View attachment 93736
I'm liking those black and blue ones in the SRC box!

Divad

Whitefish
Cool looking material! And I like the color gradient. Looks tough to tie in without getting too bushy though.
🙏, indeed on the bushy aspect, especially since it seems to work as the opposite of “a little goes a long ways.” Saw the material in a swim tank and I was hooked. Was told to tie in a little more than a bucktail variant to create the effect.

@Merle thank you those peacock breast feathers are my favorite material currently. They create a captivating hue in the sunlight, seem to splay out and pulsate well too.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Got some embroidery floss, although not sure I care for the colors. Getting sorta used to doing a knot weave. Sz 12.
20231205_200109.jpg20231205_200140.jpg20231205_200240.jpgStill a lot of practice to do before I'll be happy with these but I think they look cool when done well. This color set would probably be better for a stone, although I bought some olive for that too. Probably needs a pheasant feather for this style though.

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter

Weapon of Revenge

Hook - Mustad 9671, size 14

Thread - Brown

Weight - Lead free wire

Body - Tan and brown medium chenille*

Vinyl cement

*I used ultra chenille.

The original recipe called for standard medium chenille with the cut ends dipped in vinyl cement to prevent fraying.

Could this have been an early version of the San Juan Worm in 1980?

Scottp

Legend
Muddled Westie

53378838617_6b27ab7ee0_c.jpg

53380076289_9f2fc6b11a_c.jpg

53380076284_d8a2985af7_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - SemperFli 8/0 black
butt - UV-X ET dubbing bright orange
rib - small wire silver
body - Starburst dubbing black
hackle - black
shoulder - guinea
collar/head - deer belly hair white

Regards,
Scott

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Somewhere in my mind I can see a skwala, but not quite there yet. One bad weave really shows. Sz. 8.
View attachment 93780View attachment 93781
The way I have always done those seems to make it quite easy and perhaps you have already figured it out but allow me to mention. After the tails and body materials are tied in bring the thread to the front and tie off. Rotate the vice until the hook eye is pointing directly at you. Grasp one strand of body material in each hand and weave the body without letting go of either or switching hands. One over, cross materials, one under, cross materials and so on until the desired body length is achieved. Reattach thread and tie them both off. Also I have always found the results most pleasant when using materials that have a little fuzz to them like yarns or chenille rather than floss or such.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Practicing hollow fly tying with craft fur. Only tore this apart twice and still don't like how the belly turned out. Would probably be easier using a single color and use a marker to shade the top. Trick with two colors is getting the last tie down wraps on top of each other before pulling material back and tying the dam wraps.
Hollow feye craft fur.jpg