Skip Nymph Dark 1080.JPG

Skip Nymph Dark

Hook - Any regular-shank, 1X or 2X long, heavy wire nymph hook sizes 8 - 20
Weight - Copper or lead wire
Thread - Black or brown
Ribbing - Small copper wire
Abdomen And Thorax - Fur from a dyed brown hare’s mask
Tails And Wing Case - Pheasant-tail fibers

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple: An Easy-to-Follow All-Color Guide - Skip Morris

Scottp

Legend
Adams Sedgehog

53367367392_8272425ac8_c.jpg

53367366107_e765e76b6e_c.jpg

53368461883_c5aa9502eb_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 3 #10
thread - SemperFli 8/0 brown
tag - small tinsel silver
tail/wing(s) - deer hair
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear grey
shoulder - hen grizzly/fuurnace

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Kemp-Bug-1080.jpg

Kemp Bug

Hook - Mustad 3906B, size 6-12
Thread - Black
Tail - Three or four strands of peacock herl (cut short and stubby, barely past bend)
Body - Peacock herl
Hackle - Furnace as a wet fly collar
Wing - Grizzly hackle tips tied flat and slightly splayed (delta style), angling backward for half shank length

Originated by Roy Donnelly

The Book of Fly Patterns: Over 1,000 Patterns for the Construction of Artificial Flies - Eric Leiser

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Every year I contribute flies for the Deschutes River Alliance Auction. Did it one year and now I’m on their call list. This year, I decided to tie the Clark’s Stone in different variations. I have fished the orange salmon fly and yellow stone fly variations for years. This summer during one of my fishing trips, I stopped in to the Deschutes Angler Fly Shop and asked Amy Hazel if she had any of the yarn. She winked and took me to the wall where she had orange, yellow, purple, pink, green, and tan. So I ended up tying variations of the Clark’s Stone. This will be mailed out today when it stops snowing here (Tri Cities). The auction will be February 24 in Portland, Oregon. I’ll be there. IMG_3609.jpegIMG_3610.jpeg

Divad

Whitefish
Pat's stones work amazingly well. I just don't get it, nor do I like it, haha!. Yeah, the silhouette is there, but so boring and fugly! They just don't get me excited to fish stonefly nymphs. Again, I understand they work better than pretty much any other stonefly nymph ever invented, but I have been trying to create flies that work at least as well. I have created a few that seem to work close to as well, but they take a long time to tie, and when you are fishing stonefly nymphs on a double rig, you tend to lose a few. Maybe that's why Pat's "work" so well, cause everyone knows if you lose a Pat's, no big deal, I'll tie a dozen more in half an hour. When you lose that one that took you 20 minutes to tie, it's like "f&@k!!!". So people just fish Pat's more often so more fish are caught on them, hahahaha!

Anyways, back to trying to create a fly that doesn't take too long to tie and works at least close to as good as a Pat's. Unfortunately, chenille and super floss are super cheap, so that's another point for the Pat's. This one though, while the materials are a bit more expensive, seems to work pretty decent. It's pretty quick to tie (maybe a minute or two longer than a Pat's, and less frustrating if your super floss is wavy), looks slick, and works really well. In fact, this last winter I was fishing a Pat's all day with no luck, and I thought why the heck not, and switched to this one. Within the first five casts, fish on!
View attachment 92985
View attachment 92986
View attachment 92987

Bodies: $0.49 each
Legs: $0.46 each

So basically add $1.00/fly...kind of a fail, but at least I tie it on the end of my line without disgust 🤣. And maybe if I fish them more they will "work better" than a Pat's...I'll keep y'all posted.
Wow that looks like a real bug! Now I hope you catch a bunch, just not enough to force the trout to eating those over the pats 😁. I do find the pats pattern rather boring as well.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
A couple of hare and grouse flymphs in sz. 10, with a turn of my new hen saddle up front. Not quite as sparse as normal, will try stripping one side. Still getting used to picking the shoulder feathers for size.
20231201_165008.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Tom, you get one of those grouse skins from our old home?
That one came from my visit to Worley Bugger over thanksgiving. Nice skin and good darker palate to compliment the partridge I like.

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
View attachment 92790
Blacktail snapper are very common GT prey. GT hunt near overhanging fossil coral shelves looking for them. Tie up a few sand/yellow/red brush flies in 2/0 and 3/0 (3.5" - 4.0" long).
View attachment 92793
Small 2/0 blacktail snapper brush fly fooled this fish. I tied it on the island the night before to match the prey better.
View attachment 92796

Needlefish 7" are also common prey, so tie up a few slender deceiver style patterns to show them something different. They may even eat a crab pattern (alphlexo) in the right areas. Big CXI GT even eat bonefish flies that are well presented.

Your larger 5/0 to 6/0 bulky brush flies are generally most useful in the surf zones around Paris and Korean Wreck, where the GT are larger and way less picky. Lagoon GT have seen a lot of flies and lures, they are super selective unless on a feeding binge.

The most fun trevally fishing is for 3 - 12 pound GT, bluefin, golden trevally that can be taken on an 8 weight using bonefish flies or small clousers.

Poppers are not so useful in the Lagoon areas, because the birds will be attracted and harass the fly, casting shadows from above. Fish freak out with the darting shadows.

I've hooked small 2 foot and large 3.5 foot blacktip sharks on bonefish flies and small pink/tan game changer flies. Usually get bitten off without wire. Blacktips will eat when agitated, they act more aggressively. Other times they are calm and uninterested.

Bring some long green flies with razor sharp hooks for massive barracuda hidden in the backcountry. They also like fatboy mullet patterns with a long profile. Bite wire is needed to land them most of the time.
The camera is picking up more yellow in the body and less red in the head than what i see. The only yellow material i had was marabou. I palmered a few turns in front of the tail and added some extra in the belly. Certainly different from anything I would have tied. Thanks again for the tip!20231201_195608.jpg20231201_200217.jpg