Got any bird pics?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Successful snipe hunts. In common usage, a “snipe hunt” is an adventure to capture a mythical beast – a hopeless cause, a wild goose chase (though if you have ever encountered a pissed-off goose, you would want to give it a wide berth). But in fact, while “birds aren’t real”, Wilson’s snipes are, as pictures already in this thread have demonstrated. But snipes are well-camouflaged, stealthy, and fast, erratic fliers. About once a year, I catch a passing view of a snipe as one bombs overhead or as one disappears into the reeds.
But sometimes, you get lucky. And during a recent visit to Billie Frank Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge, I lucked into a cooperative snipe. I wasn’t expecting to find a snipe. Who does? But I was watching a flock of feeding Northern pintail hens feeding at the transition from a freshwater marsh to grassy field. I noticed that one of these individuals was not like the others. In fact, there was snipe in the group, perhaps 30’ away from me.
A01WilsonsSnipe&NorthernPintailHen6913.jpg
The pintails soon wandered off as they kept actively foraging, but the snipe remained. It did some hunting for food, some preening, and some relaxing.
A02WilsonsSnipe6934.jpg

A03WIlsonsSnipe6947.jpg

A05WilsonsSnipe6997.jpg
I came back an hour later and it hadn’t moved more than 10’.
My wife was excited for me that I had such as good view of the snipe, but unhappy that she wasn’t there as she was working. But the universe rewarded her (and me) a few days later when we visited Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge. We didn’t see one or two snipes, but nine (!!!) individuals. These snipes were dozing, preening, and feeding along the edge of a peninsula at the edge of the refuge. [How many snipes can you see in this picture?]
7WilsonsSnipes7522.jpg
They weren’t as close to us as the singlet that I had seen a few days earlier, but they made up for it in numbers. That one group included more individuals than I have seen in total in 20 years.

Steve

Attachments

• A04WilsonsSnipe6985.jpg
    A04WilsonsSnipe6985.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 3

Zak

Legend
Successful snipe hunts. In common usage, a “snipe hunt” is an adventure to capture a mythical beast – a hopeless cause, a wild goose chase (though if you have ever encountered a pissed-off goose, you would want to give it a wide berth). But in fact, while “birds aren’t real”, Wilson’s snipes are, as pictures already in this thread have demonstrated. But snipes are well-camouflaged, stealthy, and fast, erratic fliers. About once a year, I catch a passing view of a snipe as one bombs overhead or as one disappears into the reeds.
But sometimes, you get lucky. And during a recent visit to Billie Frank Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge, I lucked into a cooperative snipe. I wasn’t expecting to find a snipe. Who does? But I was watching a flock of feeding Northern pintail hens feeding at the transition from a freshwater marsh to grassy field. I noticed that one of these individuals was not like the others. In fact, there was snipe in the group, perhaps 30’ away from me.
View attachment 92495
The pintails soon wandered off as they kept actively foraging, but the snipe remained. It did some hunting for food, some preening, and some relaxing.
View attachment 92496

View attachment 92497

View attachment 92499
I came back an hour later and it hadn’t moved more than 10’.
My wife was excited for me that I had such as good view of the snipe, but unhappy that she wasn’t there as she was working. But the universe rewarded her (and me) a few days later when we visited Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge. We didn’t see one or two snipes, but nine (!!!) individuals. These snipes were dozing, preening, and feeding along the edge of a peninsula at the edge of the refuge. [How many snipes can you see in this picture?]
View attachment 92500
They weren’t as close to us as the singlet that I had seen a few days earlier, but they made up for it in numbers. That one group included more individuals than I have seen in total in 20 years.

Steve
I watched a snipe do a funky boogie dance, once.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
We’ve had a leucistic Somg Sparrow show up at our feeder every year for about five years now. I don’t know if this is the same one, but it showed up again yesterday and I was able to get a couple of pictures of it along with the Towhee.
Does anyone know how long these birds live in the wild? I’d like to think that it’s the same one.

IMG_6681.jpeg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the info'. I wouldn't have guessed they'd live that long either!

So, maybe it is the same bird!

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Leucistic birds are not all that common, as you know. We have had a leucistic crow in the area and had a leucistic black-capped chickadee at the feeder in the past.

Jim F.

Variety. Most are long shots with a Sony A7RV and are heavily cropped. I can't tell if the grainy shot is a Bittern or an immature Night Heron. Any thoughts on which it is? Not sure about the Sparrow either.
Bittern.JPGSparrow.JPGEgret.JPGPelican Heron.JPGHooded Merganser.JPG

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Variety. Most are long shots with a Sony A7RV and are heavily cropped. I can't tell if the grainy shot is a Bittern or an immature Night Heron. Any thoughts on which it is? Not sure about the Sparrow either.
View attachment 92922View attachment 92923
That is an immature black-crowned night heron. The sparrow is a juvenile white-crowned; see the yellow-orange bill. A golden-crowned juvenile would have a gray bill.
Steve

Jim F.

Thanks Steve.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice images = thanks for sharing! I'll go with an immature black crowned night heron for the top image. I'm not great with sparrows but I think that's a female golden crowned sparrow.

Jim F.

Everything but the Sparrow & Merganser was ~ 100 yards away. With 61 megapixels, I can crop the daylights out of long shots and still get a decent-enough image for interweb use. I'm pleased to add this camera body to the kit.

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
Nice mountain blue bird. Your nest box?

Gotta love those birds. Although, there are very few bird I loathe.
Not my box. That one is one Hayward Hill Rd off Highway 10 across from where the Thorp Highway ends above the Green Bridge on the Yakima. I have a ton more bluebird shots so I'll dig up a couple more.

With that particular shot I swear the bird was listening to the "conversation" going on inside the house. There were babies and mom inside at the time.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
IMG20231204091744.jpg
Dark eyed Junco. A population of them has colonized the UCSD campus and drastically change life histories and have been subject to rapid evolution. The one pictured is from the courtyard of my school. We use the phenomenon of UCSD juncos to teach our biology students about natural selection and how it is impacted by human activity. They are always quite surprised to understand that behaviors like boldness are inherited traits (controlled by corticosterone production) and thus acted on by environmental pressures. More about the UCSD juncos: https://juncoproject.org/